advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

I used those amps at Bristol and Ascot last year. Considering how awful my room must have sounded, it's amazing how polite people were. It was also very kind of the few who enquired about amplification to feign shock and bewilderment that they could enjoy music through such trash.

As I said, if anybody has an audiophile-approved amp to lend me, don't be shy!

I used those amps at Bristol and Ascot last year. Considering how awful my room must have sounded, it's amazing how polite people were. It was also very kind of the few who enquired about amplification to feign shock and bewilderment that they could enjoy music through such trash.

As I said, if anybody has an audiophile-approved amp to lend me, don't be shy!
Why don't you try and get hold of a Lyngdorf amplifier and use the room correction feature to make the best of the room?

I'm sure I've seen two for sale here.... Or chat up a dealer maybe.

I have had to postpone my home demo of the English Acoustics Stereo 21c thanks to (my) ill-health. I was hoping to be well enough to pop down to Bristol for the day (not least because a friend will be “15” on the 29th but it looks like I won’t be quite well enough.

My understanding is that English Acoustics will be there and showing the 21c, 41c and possibly their new pre amp. My interest is in the 1st of those 3 so if anyone here is able to offer photos and maybe even sound impressions that would be hugely appreciated. I intend to rearrange the home dem as soon as I am well enough but all extra information is welcome.

Why don't you try and get hold of a Lyngdorf amplifier and use the room correction feature to make the best of the room?

I'm sure I've seen two for sale here.... Or chat up a dealer maybe.
I thought the room was fine and ultimately I was happy with the sound at both shows. Maybe a Lyngdorf amp would sound better, but maybe it wouldn't. Most amps have very low distortion these days.

I'm not sure AD-DA conversion is worth it just to correct very minor room anomalies which are best neutralised with pillows, furnishings and visitors. My ears adapt to most concert halls quite quickly, and they are far more problematic than a modest-sized hotel room. If Lyngdorf were to send me some kit to dem with, I should be delighted, but I think that's unlikely at this stage. Good suggestion though.

Ticket now purchased for Saturday. Looking forward in particular to visiting the Supatrac room, meeting Richard and hearing a Blackbird. Also interested to see/hear the RFC speakers, Paul Coupe did some refurbishment of my Tannoy Mansfields a few years back.

Cheers

Well, me and daughter booked for Friday. If you see an grey tall bloke hobbling around with obvious plantar fasciitis, with a young SE Asian woman (daughter) then come up and say hello.

Last edited:
On Rega's 'X' feed, a few pictures of some prototypes (Nd7 MM cartridge, and a pre/power amp combo (Mercury/Solis?)
GHA8BW5WIAAoysQ

GHA8BW6WgAAQwql

GHA8BW6WUAAAh0u

Visit English Acoustics at the Bristol HiFI Sow​

Room 328
For those not able to make it down the folks over at English Acoustics will be furnishing a live stream: <link below>

English Acoustics Bristol 2024 Live Stream
Fantastic. Was unaware of that. I’m not in the market for their new pre but remain very interested in the 21c. However, now cursing my ill health. Had I been well enough to welcome Pete for a home visit earlier this month I’d have heard the 21c and would have been able to make an informed guess as to whether I should leap for that or the 41c given the discount on offer for the latter.

Would have liked to have nipped on a train from Manchester to Bristol tomorrow just to get a listen but, despite being back at work on Monday, I’m not 100% and probably best not risking it.

No clue as to when the stream starts? It will have to act as the next best thing until I can get my home dem. rearranged.

advertisement

Back