advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

She also claimed they would bring in Ukrainians to replace EU workers.
A few did arrive but only on the p*ss poor work visa arrangements where they have to go home again after a few months. I know I ended up training a few in a vegetable packing factory, pre Ukraine war, they were good people. Some spoke Polish, some Russian, and I had to come up with a load of training documentation in various languages and train it out. Good fun.

Latest ****-up mentioned this morning - any food (only?) to be sold within UK/NI must be labelled "Not for sale within EU".

They spoke to the chairman of Graham's Dairies (Scotland). They currently have around 140 different lines, about 40 of them sold within the EU, so their list of SKU's has gone up to around 180 and all they have to do is find warehouse space to avoid cock-up. The idea of just using a stamp or extra label for the non-EU stuff is also a non-runner; it will mean new packaging.

I can't remember the estimated cost to Graham's - well over £100K?????. Farming Today, R4 today.

Don't know where you live but here in Cumbria it is exactly the same.

Manchester but on the edge of the Pennines. Know a few from that Yorkshire place as well. All the same. I’m playing the world’s smallest violin for them.

While it’s fair to say voters (farmers or others) might have usefully applied some critical thinking to the kind of incompatible assurances they seemed rather willing to swallow, the blame lays squarely with those selling the fantasy for their own ends. I take no pleasure in them finding out the hard way, we are still just as stuck and if they now wish to help support reversal of this nonsense, I’m not going to complain.

While it’s fair to say voters (farmers or others) might have usefully applied some critical thinking to the kind of incompatible assurances they seemed rather willing to swallow, the blame lays squarely with those selling the fantasy for their own ends. I take no pleasure in them finding out the hard way, we are still just as stuck and if they now wish to help support reversal of this nonsense, I’m not going to complain.

Oh I agree, but they were all told. However I don’t think there is a reverse position that will be acceptable to both parties. We certainly aren’t going to get the favoured party deal we had previously, we won’t be able to avoid the Euro. We’ve blown it. It’s a hard lesson in life for some people, and it needs to be.

I reckon a Customs Union of some description will be the exit strategy, but we’re going to have to stop the ridiculous obsessions with immigration first. Free movement is a given with any step forward. We have a way to go yet.

Manchester but on the edge of the Pennines. Know a few from that Yorkshire place as well. All the same. I’m playing the world’s smallest violin for them.
Yes indeed. EV has been on here telling us that all the farmers he knows in Essex, Herts etc voted Remain because they liked the EU subsidies. This is in diametric opposition to my own experience which is that farmers in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire voted Leave almost to a man. If you say the same of That Funny Place to t' west o' Halifax then I'd be inclined to believe you.
Oh I agree, but they were all told. However I don’t think there is a reverse position that will be acceptable to both parties. We certainly aren’t going to get the favoured party deal we had previously, we won’t be able to avoid the Euro. We’ve blown it. It’s a hard lesson in life for some people, and it needs to be.
There is going to be, and there needs to be, a bloody sight more pain before we actually realise what a bloody mess this is, just how stupid it was and how much humble pie is going to have to be eaten. We'll need to be hungry for that. It's not going to be nice.
I reckon a Customs Union of some description will be the exit strategy, but we’re going to have to stop the ridiculous obsessions with immigration first. Free movement is a given with any step forward. We have a way to go yet.
I think that unfortunately you are right.

Re-join the EU?
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOL

People would be even more unhappy about what that brought about than with Brexit.
The UK had manoeuvred and negotiated itself into an incredibly sweet spot. Return to it? Pure, unadulterated, gold-plated fantasy.

The thing that always tickles me are the reasons why ardent Brexiteers now say they'd turn the clock back....................... because it would be simpler to travel within Europe for holidays, because Brexit didn't stop illegal immigrants. Etc.. Sheer lunacy and/or trivia.

Brexit is done and never likely to ever be undone.

Far bigger problems loom - Ukraine are now saying, today, that the dallying of the outside world has cost it its independence, they cannot win.

Re-join the EU?

People would be even more unhappy about what that brought about than with Brexit.
The UK had manoeuvred and negotiated itself into an incredibly sweet spot. Return to it? Pure, unadulterated, gold-plated fantasy.

The thing that always tickles me are the reasons why ardent Brexiteers now say they'd turn the clock back....................... because it would be simpler to travel within Europe for holidays, because Brexit didn't stop illegal immigrants. Etc.. Sheer lunacy and/or trivia.

Far bigger problems loom - Ukraine are now saying, today, that the dallying of the outside world has cost it its independence, they cannot win.
I agree we've flounced and to unflounce wouldn't get us anything like the terms we had when we left. Bonkers decision but hey, here we are...

Some sort of EU alignment is required, the discussion should be about what sort of alignment rather than "giving up on complete and total Brexit which the people voted for" (they/we didn't vote on that, actually) which I'm afraid we're all going to get sick of hearing when the Reform Party starts campaigning...

Agreed re far bigger issues - Ukraine being one, and looking increasingly bleak, Israel/Gaza being another.

Agreed re far bigger issues - Ukraine being one, and looking increasingly bleak, Israel/Gaza being another.

...combined with the increasing likelihood of someone who makes any intellectual pygmy look like a potential candidate for a Nobel prize, in charge in the US.

It bears repeating - when Ukraine seceded from the RF, two countries stood as guarrantors of Ukrainian idependence - USA and UK.
.....................Why hello Mr Putin......................you fancy running/annexing Crimea.............no problem, you naughty, naughty boy............... Carry on.

God help us all.

I know a few farmers, and whilst they might not be representative of the entire nation, to a man they voted for Brexit. They can **** off.

Absolutely. And they were waving at Farage at their recent demo. Maybe the cognitive dissonance is too much for them.

Re-join the EU?

Brexit wasn't done though.

Yes indeed. EV has been on here telling us that all the farmers he knows in Essex, Herts etc voted Remain because they liked the EU subsidies. This is in diametric opposition to my own experience which is that farmers in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire voted Leave almost to a man. If you say the same of That Funny Place to t' west o' Halifax then I'd be inclined to believe you.

There is going to be, and there needs to be, a bloody sight more pain before we actually realise what a bloody mess this is, just how stupid it was and how much humble pie is going to have to be eaten. We'll need to be hungry for that. It's not going to be nice.

I think that unfortunately you are right.
In north Essex and Suffolk there were huge vote leave and leave.eu posters in thousands of fields by the roadsides. You couldn’t drive anywhere without seeing them over and over again, whenever the road passed fields or farms.

Not meant as a provocation: is this not, at least in part, a result of Mrs Thatcher's intransigeance, especially in terms of currency ?
Some, perhaps much of the preferential deal we negotiated was indeed down to Thatcher's intransigence. The currency thing, I'm not so sure. I think Gordon Brown also gets credit for refusal to join the Euro.

advertisement

Back