advertisement

Bought a Wiim Pro Plus

Have you tried using the EQ on the Wiim Phil?
There are quite a few programmed settings to try out plus PEQ as well.
May bring the excitement needed.

A little bit Curtis, I’ll revisit it when I have more time to tinker, I’d prefer using it on its own for simplicity, but only if I’m happy with the sound, will see in the weeks ahead, all the best.

I’ve done a bit of tinkering today, I’ve played with the dip switches on the Genelec’s, taken off a bass and treble reduction I had set, they are now set ‘flat’, I have also pulled them away from the wall a bit and now have the WiiM playing via its own DAC and must say it is good, I’m just playing some Smith’s now and have shelved the treble on the app, very effective.

Also just signed up for the free month Qobuz trial, so doing a few back to backs against Spotify, tba on that one.

Hi
I will be interested in your further findings
Currently using Amazon uhd
Also mine has LDA power supply and is on a mana rack with a mana clamp and sounding very good into a marrantz hd dac1 then into supernait 2 with hicap dr :)

For the WiiM pro and + model :

1. Buy a better power supply or use an older IPad charger .

2. The digital transport is very good , so are the digital volume control thru spdif and the Peq function. The Peq makes the WiiM pro better sounding than almost all other alternatives on the market .
The digital output including volume regulation is soundwise on par with an older Linn klimax DS/0 if one uses a better power supply for the WiiM. You have to use a very good external dac for the WiiM to reach that level.

3. The internal dac and analog stage in WiiM pro + is not good enough if you search for the best sound regardless of price. The + model uses two ne5534 chip at the analog stage and there are threads in the WiiM forum where they change it to opa1611 with better sound as a result .

The WiiM pro ( without + ) has a mediocre sounding dac not worth modifying.

Happy new Year !

2. The digital transport is very good , so are the digital volume control thru spdif and the Peq function. The Peq makes the WiiM pro better sounding than almost all other alternatives on the market .
The digital output including volume regulation is soundwise on par with an older Linn klimax DS/0 if one uses a better power supply for the WiiM.

3. The internal dac and analog stage in WiiM pro + is not good enough if you search for the best sound regardless of price. The + model uses two ne5534 chip at the analog stage and there are threads in the WiiM forum where they change it to opa1611 with better sound as a result .
The WiiM pro ( without + ) has a mediocre dac not worth modifying.
Hi
What settings did you find is best with peq please

Hi
What settings did you find is best with peq please
Depends on your speakers and your listening position .
But some important stuff :

Never amplify the signal with the Peq - always use attenuating the signal .
Never use Q values higher than 4.
Always have the volume limit function at 100% , even if you use PEQ and volumeregulation thru spdif to a dac .

If you use good sounding speakers and a good installation of the speakers, you rarely will have to correct more than - 3 dB at any frequency. Less is more when using PEQ . The shelving function is very useful.

If you do the PEQ corrections right , its much better than to use the 10 band EQ.

The digital output including volume regulation is soundwise on par with an older Linn klimax DS/0 if one uses a better power supply for the WiiM. You have to use a very good external dac for the WiiM to reach that level.

The WiiM pro ( without + ) has a mediocre sounding dac not worth modifying.

Happy new Year !
Is the iPad charger plug the same as an old iPhone charger, looks like a mains plug with a usb where the cable would normally come out?

Happy New Year to you too :)

I have a WiiM Mini, that I use purely as a WiFi to S/PDIF passthrough, i.e. I don't use the DAC. I've found no reason at all to use any EQ fuction within the WiiM using Amazon Music unlimited - or even Spotify for that matter, which does have a touch of brightness to it in the lower treble but it's not nearly enough to get in the way of enjoying the music.

Hi
I will be interested in your further findings
Currently using Amazon uhd
Also mine has LDA power supply and is on a mana rack with a mana clamp and sounding very good into a marrantz hd dac1 then into supernait 2 with hicap dr :)
Hi lambo,
(I think you wanted further findings re Qobuz?)

I’m really liking it, I’ve never found a problem with the sound quality of Spotify, but can hear an improvement with Qobuz, it’s cleaner, tighter, more detailed, smoother/generally less bright (I think), just higher quality all round. In isolation Spotify is fine and doesn’t do a lot wrong, but when you hear a higher resolution you realise there are omissions with Spotify.

I think both have very similar GUI’s and functionality, in my short time though I have found gaps in the library.

I think I may switch.

All the best.

Well, since I bought this I can't be arsed to play records and it sounds better every time I hear it. I suspect my ears are adjusting to a digital sound.
Looks like the records may be down the road soon unless, when I can be arsed to play one again they shock me with the 'amazing sound quality'. Now my turntables are very good, WT Amadeus Gta /Cadenza Blue and Technics.
I suspect the WiiM matches well with the Audio Note Pre-Power Set amp. I just really enjoy the experience of using a spare iPad to browse about.
If I do sell (looking more likely than ever) I must make a list of all the artists because I forget people I really like. David Accles, Big Youth, John Phillips (the wolf man of LA), Dennis Wilson, sort of vaguely obscure stuff I may forget exist.
So looks like the end of a 40+year vinyl only man!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back