advertisement

Bluesound. Any users?

Don't own one myself, but have used both quite a bit.
If you look on computeraudiophile.com & most other reviews they seem pretty highly rated.
I think they are a very good product, a significant step up from Sonos. Very good quality sound & build. You can access MQA via Tidal subscription using Bluesound, if that's important to you.
The only downside is that in my opinion, the app isn't quite as solid as the Sonos one.

I had the Node 2 and Vault 2 here last week, along with the Powernode 2 and one of the Pulse speakers. The feature set is broadly similar to Sonos, with the addition of CD ripping in the Vault 2. There is support for a wide range of streaming services. The app is attractive looking, easy to use and seems to be stable. I have not spent much time with the Sonos speakers, but the sound quality of the Bluesound streamers is definitely a step up from the Sonos Connect.

I had the Node 2 and Vault 2 here last week, along with the Powernode 2 and one of the Pulse speakers. The feature set is broadly similar to Sonos, with the addition of CD ripping in the Vault 2. There is support for a wide range of streaming services. The app is attractive looking, easy to use and seems to be stable. I have not spent much time with the Sonos speakers, but the sound quality of the Bluesound streamers is definitely a step up from the Sonos Connect.

Thanks. It's only the Vault 2 I'd be interested in to integrate into my existing system.

Thanks. It's only the Vault 2 I'd be interested in to integrate into my existing system.

The Vault 2 is a Node 2 with a built-in CD transport and hard drive. They are otherwise identical. I only tried the analogue outputs, but sound quality was pretty impressive, considering the relatively low price and the broad feature set.

I own an Node Mk I.

Generally happy with. Reliability is good. Sound is good with inbuilt audio outputs. however, I do now use an external DAC.

The app is a bit frustrating:
The library doesn't auto update when new files are added to music folder(s).
Running a scan of the library takes some time.
I don't like the playback method, which is based on adding files to a playlist. However, this just a personal preference, rather than a fault of the app.

Wait . . . I'm thinking about a Node 2. I'm under the impression I can hard wire to it or stream to it from my MacBook or iPhone, which will give me ability to use my own library OR use the Tidal app already installed on those devices. This is possible, yes?

Judd

I thought you could only access MQA through either the Tidal Widows or OSX desktop app?

That's incorrect. Bluesound is an MQA partner. You get full fat MQA via the analogue outs. 96kHz via its digital

I have a Vault. Good piece of kit. Effectively an easy to use NAS with a streamer.

App is good with one massive problem, for me. In Tidal you can't sort Favourites. Once you have a few this becomes problematic

I was initially impressed with MQA. However, I believe that most of the differences are down to different masters.

I now use an Aries Mini for the better app. No MQA unless you output digital to MQA DAC.

MQA is worth listening to for yourself. Some albums definitely sound 'better', probably for reason above.

Irrespective of MQA the Vault is a very convenient, good sounding, easy to use bit of kit.

Simon, I'm very much an MQA sceptic but I want to hear it.

I think your assertion that "it's all down to the masters" is probably right.

Feck knows. I'm truly pissed off with trying to access Tidal Masters. If it isn't worth it I'll be even more pissed off.

You can access TIDAL Masters through the Bluesound app. The app has is a little icon to indicate MQA. If you would like to try one, just let me know.

Wait . . . I'm thinking about a Node 2. I'm under the impression I can hard wire to it or stream to it from my MacBook or iPhone, which will give me ability to use my own library OR use the Tidal app already installed on those devices. This is possible, yes?

Judd

In short, yes.

You can access TIDAL Masters through the Bluesound app. The app has is a little icon to indicate MQA. If you would like to try one, just let me know.

Hi. Thanks for the offer. I'd love to try one. I'd happily buy one from you. The problem I have is that my CA 851 DAC has no analogue inputs so I wouldn't get full MQA

Hi. Thanks for the offer. I'd love to try one. I'd happily buy one from you. The problem I have is that my CA 851 DAC has no analogue inputs so I wouldn't get full MQA

I believe that you can get partially unfolded 24/96 MQA from the digital outputs. We have a few different analogue amps. Maybe we should have an chat offline? I am about to start preparing Sunday lunch for a dozen people, so I will be up to my eyeballs in cheese sauce and gravy for the next few hours. Happy to have a chat tonight or in the week.

I've got a gen 1 Vault, which I used to store my entire CD collection. Sound pretty good (a little "hifi") and has been reliable. The app's use of playlists is not my favorite, but otherwise works pretty well and looks good. I'd recommend highly for the price.

advertisement

Back