advertisement

Black Tie Wedding

About wedding presents:

When a pal got married I gave the happy couple a LP record with 'The Royal Wedding' (the Charles and Diana one) as an 'ironic' gesture. Maybe I shouldn't, their marriage turned out even less happy than the Charlana one, it lasted for only two years.

About wedding presents:

When a pal got married I gave the happy couple a LP record with 'The Royal Wedding' (the Charles and Diana one) as an 'ironic' gesture. Maybe I shouldn't, their marriage turned out even less happy than the Charlana one, it lasted for only two years.
A happy outcome, they had the balls to act soon. Too many remain trapped for life.

Wow! Thats an interesting assumption and appalling generalisation that the ‘peasants’ don’t like dressing up and that the Lord of the Manor is always resplendent in his most exquisite finery!

Just maybe it could just be that the bride and groom would like lovely memories of their nearest and dearest dressed up and looking smart, rather than just wearing their usual casual day attire?

It’s a special day for them and could well be a one-off in their lives. What sort of grump would object to making a bit of effort for that?
It is a special day for them but at the same time I think my god sister is a little confused. They seem like a matching pair. For the following:

They’re both into fitness and cycling
They’re both very much professional middle class types - he’s a banker at a big Swiss bank and she’s a lawyer
They’re both vegan
They’re both physically similar

Things that concern me:

He’s an only child
She’s already wanted to break up with him about a year ago with the claim that he ‘lacks passion’ but they got back together
She’s only with him for his cash even though she’s not doing too badly herself
He’s a bit weird - he absolutely looked at me strangely last time we met
He has a bigger chin than Desperate Dan

It is a special day for them but at the same time I think my god sister is a little confused. They seem like a matching pair. For the following:

They’re both very much professional middle class types - he’s a banker at a big Swiss bank and she’s a lawyer
They’re both vegan

Things that concern me:

He’s an only child
She’s already wanted to break up with him about a year ago with the claim that he ‘lacks passion’ but they got back together
Very disturbing. But it has the makings of a good TV series. Show someone doing something weird and then flash back to "6 months earlier..."

About wedding presents:

Mrs BB had a big wedding and expensive honeymoon, 53 weeks later she met me in a nightclub, 29 years later we’re still together. We were so skint when we married we had a registry office ceremony and a BBQ in the back garden afterwards, it was great. MIL paid for us to stay in a hotel for one night for our honeymoon.

I help my kids out where I can but they all know I won’t contribute to big weddings, although we are buying my daughter her wedding dress next year, there’s a limit on it though.

Cheers BB

They’re both vegan

Things that concern me:

He’s an only child
Sounds like a problem indeed, she may have a chin fetish!

Cheers BB

They’re both vegan

Things that concern me:

He’s an only child

Nowt queer as folk.

Mrs BB had a big wedding and expensive honeymoon, 53 weeks later she met me in a nightclub, 29 years later we’re still together. We were so skint when we married we had a registry office ceremony and a BBQ in the back garden afterwards, it was great. MIL paid for us to stay in a hotel for one night for our honeymoon.

I help my kids out where I can but they all know I won’t contribute to big weddings, although we are buying my daughter her wedding dress next year, there’s a limit on it though.

Cheers BB

I'm not married, I generally view it as a pointless antiquated ceremony bases on pointless antiquated religious beliefs.
My partner (whom I love dearly) says we should get married for financial reasons relating to tax and pensions. When we do it will be a nip to the registry office and back home again.
My only sister has been married twice, both relationships have ended, my dad paid for both weddings, what a bloody waste of money, the first one was £37K and that was about 20 years ago, I dread to think what the last fiasco cost, in many ways his attitudes are very old fashioned, more victorian than boomer.
I would help our kids in anyway I could whether financially, physical or emotionally, I will not however contribute financially to any weddings, not that there's likely to be any in the near future.

', I generally view it as a pointless antiquated ceremony bases on pointless antiquated religious beliefs.'

A friend of mine thought the same and has lived with the love of his life for decades. As they are now both in their seventies they took financial advice to plan for when one of them dies. Getting married would save £450K in death duties and they are 2 normal people who have lived and worked in London all their adult lives. The wedding is in May - it'll be a cheapy.

So that is pointless ..?

Weddings don`t have to be big and expensive, we were 13* people back to the house, buffet, afternoon of relaxed chatting everybody seemed happy (some said later it was the best wedding they`ed been to) Seems to have worked, 30 years ago in June.

*Not deliberate, one couple couldn`t make it.

If it has to be a massive event maybe it`s for the wrong reasons.

Weddings don`t have to be big and expensive, we were 13* people back to the house, buffet, afternoon of relaxed chatting everybody seemed happy (some said later it was the best wedding they`ed been to) Seems to have worked, 30 years ago in June.

*Not deliberate, one couple couldn`t make it.

If it has to be a massive event maybe it`s for the wrong reasons.
We got married in a nice room in Hampstead that didn't cost the earth. Main expense was the catering. A French colleague got us a good deal on fizz from a place in France and brought it back after a trip to visit family. A photographer friend took the snaps. We hired the upstairs of a pub for the reception and got friends to DJ and made it into a proper party.

The whole day is a bit of a blur but I have nice photos of the ceremony and nice photos of tipsy friends letting their hair down afterwards.

50 years ago last month we got married. Both sets of parents struggled to make ends meet. There was no reception, just a meal in a local hotel for parents and siblings. There was no honeymoon. Still together and I still love her as much as I did then. We’ve been a great partnership.

Any fool can get married.

Significant anniversaries are times to properly celebrate.

@Bob McC we never quite got round the honeymoon either!
I'm tempted to say the last sixteen years have been one long honeymoon but my OH might take a different view : )

Congratulations on fifty years together - that's wonderful.

', I generally view it as a pointless antiquated ceremony bases on pointless antiquated religious beliefs.'

A friend of mine thought the same and has lived with the love of his life for decades. As they are now both in their seventies they took financial advice to plan for when one of them dies. Getting married would save £450K in death duties and they are 2 normal people who have lived and worked in London all their adult lives. The wedding is in May - it'll be a cheapy.

So that is pointless ..?
Also, marriage gives the partner some automatic rights to the estate of the other if one dies intestate.

So that is pointless ..?

Point taken, you did read the second paragraph of my post?

I'm not married, I generally view it as a pointless antiquated ceremony bases on pointless antiquated religious beliefs.
My partner (whom I love dearly) says we should get married for financial reasons relating to tax and pensions. When we do it will be a nip to the registry office and back home again.
My only sister has been married twice, both relationships have ended, my dad paid for both weddings, what a bloody waste of money, the first one was £37K and that was about 20 years ago, I dread to think what the last fiasco cost, in many ways his attitudes are very old fashioned, more victorian than boomer.
I would help our kids in anyway I could whether financially, physical or emotionally, I will not however contribute financially to any weddings, not that there's likely to be any in the near future.
Having both been married before we were in no rush but when our eldest daughter was born Mrs BB wanted us all to have the same surname.

Cheers BB

Having both been married before we were in no rush but when our eldest daughter was born Mrs BB wanted us all to have the same surname.

Cheers BB
Researching our family tree I was surprised to learn that my Mum was born two years before her parents got married but her Mum was already using her husband-to-be's surname. He was previously married so I suspect there may have been divorce proceedings to complete before they could marry.

Cheers BB
Fair enough, both my kids have my surname and I was never married to their mum. (Thankfully)
Tracy quite often uses my surname as its easier as hers is double barrelled, one from her Dad the second part from her stepfather.
I would fully expect when we do get around to it that she'll keep her current name for professional reasons but use mine for convenience.

advertisement

Back