advertisement

Billy Eilish on Vinyl Varaints

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength

I think she has a point. I'm quite nostalgic for the days of a single record being the thing or maybe a choice of vinyl or CD with maybe a signed copy being the special version. I still tend to go for a black vinyl edition when I can.

Imagine if this had been the way things worked in 1973. How many copies of, say, DSOTM would folks here have? :eek:

She makes good points, but in most cases I don’t think the aim is to sell multiple copies to the same person, just give an incentive to get in and buy fast and maybe give a specific shop or distributor a unique selling point. I’ve got a lot of exactly the sort of thing she describes, but only ever one copy of a title. I try to get a signed copy of a new release, otherwise whatever looks to be the most limited and most collectable variant. I certainly shop around.

I’d argue what Taylor Swift was doing in having different bonus tracks was rather cynical and did encourage people to buy multiples of what are already expensive items for her demographic, but is it that much different to including a free 7” with the initial release, which has been a thing forever? Still very much a thing today with Dinked, Rough Trade etc. To be honest I’ve got a lot of that sort of stuff where I’ve never even played the bonus 7” or CD! I’ll still always buy them as they tend to be the best investments.

I’ve never personally been interested in the huge cash-grab rock reissue box sets, e.g. Beatles, Pink Floyd etc. I’ve not got any (unless you count the various ‘Complete…’ Miles Davis CD boxes, which add hours of amazing material), but I can see they bring enjoyment to some so I’d not knock them too much. Billie Eilish may want some easy cash when she’s as ancient as The Stones, Roger Waters etc, so I’d not slam that door shut too hard!

I do like her environmental stance though. I’ve a lot of respect for her.

advertisement

Back