advertisement

Bi-Amping 2 Audiolab 8200P

Lyricman

I have 2 Audiolab power amps Bi-Wired with one amp driving the Bass Units and the second amp driving the mid range and tweeters, which I believe is the conventional method. Monoblocs actually connect to each speaker separately and thus avoiding any cross-talk etc. If I were to take my interconnect left channel and split the signal to feed the left and right inputs to the power amp (mono signal) and connect this amp to the left speaker and do the same with the right channel and connect this to the right speaker.

I have 2 Audiolab power amps Bi-Wired with one amp driving the Bass Units and the second amp driving the mid range and tweeters, which I believe is the conventional method. Monoblocs actually connect to each speaker separately and thus avoiding any cross-talk etc. If I were to take my interconnect left channel and split the signal to feed the left and right inputs to the power amp (mono signal) and connect this amp to the left speaker and do the same with the right channel and connect this to the right speaker.

Currently you are bi-amping.

If you want to use each of the 8200P to drive only one speakers each, you can do the following.

You should have 2 pairs of interconnect, assuming they are the same model.

Group the 2 left interconnect for the left speaker and the 2 right interconnect for the right speakers.

Connect from the CD output left using one left interconnect to the 1st 8200P left input. Connect the 2nd left interconnect from the left loop out of the same 8200P to the right input.

This way you can use one channel to drive the bass and another channel to drive the mid and tweeter, from the same 8200P.

Do the same for the right speaker (except the input and output are right now).

Not sure if this will sound better than the b-amping you are using now though.

Your configuration right now is known as "horizontal" bi-amping; I assume you are asking about "vertical" bi-amping whereas each power amp drives its own speaker?

Thanks CST, I will try that.
Yes I guess it must be vertical bi-amping, each 8200P amp feeding a single speaker. I believe this is how mono bloc's are connected and is supposedly superior by isolating each channel to each amp to a single speaker.

Lyricman, which sounds best to you? I have mine set up for vertical bi-amping at the moment and am curious about the differences.

I'd expect your current configuration to be the better of the two. You are currently putting all of the current heavy load on one amp, which means that the other amp is having an easier time of things, driving your midrange and tweeter, which will be sweeter for the split.

The alternative arrangement will remove any risk of crosstalk, but that's not really a problem, and hasn't been for years with amps (hence why so many amps are not monoblocks), at the risk of having the bass current draw affect the supply rails, and hence affect the mid/tweeter.

Chances are though, unless you are pushing the limits of current delivery, you won't tell the difference between the two.

If you want to fiddle, i'd investigate your options for putting an active crossover before your power amps, but it depends on your speakers, and may involve surgery if they aren't setup with this in mind.

Have you tried parking each amp. behind each speaker.

Longer signal cables (preferably XLR ) but shorter speaker cables.

Thats my next job , a pair of Hypex Ncores providing 450W to each speaker (4 Ohm) with bugger all distortion and wired direct from the amp modules to the crossover. (removing the binding posts). 30cm. speaker cables direct and biwired. :D:D:D

Fed direct from MDAC with no pre amp.

Thanks guys. I must admit that I really don't want to fiddle too much. I was a telecomms engineer by trade and really can't be bothered crawling about rewiring things if I can avoid it. It all does (my stuff) sound good now. I must say that after renewing my hifi interest after 25 years or so I've found thst spending money on cables, chord usb, logitek mains cables with my dedicated mains supply does help a lot.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom