advertisement

Beyer DT531 refurbish or are there better alternatives for a one-eared old geezer ?

Chris

pfm Member
I used to love my DT531s but have lost the habit due to severe hearing loss in one ear. So herein lie my doubts : Refurbish them ? Can I easily replace the cable on them, the drivers seem to be OK as is the headband. Maybe new ear pads, too ?

Or would I be better off going for something new ? I am looking primarily for physical comfort and also a comfortable sound. Slightly retro , rich and smooth. I listen to vinyl (Linn, Ittok LVIII, A&R P77) valve phono and Creek OBH-21SE. They used to sound very nice when I had 2 working lugs.

Ideas ?

Cheers,
Chris

I guess no one remembers the 531s. I actually dug mine out todayandthey are still the most musically involving speakers I have ever heard. Or maybe Ihave the worst room for speakers in the world.Anyone fancy a Sugden A21se andsome wd25Tex floorstanders, going cheap ?

I had never heard of the DT531.
By the time you refurbish them you could buy a pair of B-stock DT990, which was the top headphone from Beyer for a long time.
I find their different phones have a very similar signature.

But with your hearing loss, it's hard for anyone to make a suggestion as to what would be 'best'.

The pads on your 531 will be worn out, that will significantly alter how they currently sound. I don't know why you would need to re-cable unless there is an issue.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I shall wire the plug as if they were Mono maybe. Dunno. Although as they are the effect is as if there is no hard right info , just centred and left. It’s a bit weird but not objectionable. Of course I am missingthe hard right bits, hence thinking of using them with a common signal (mono of sorts ?). See which I prefer.

Cracked it. I shall connect one connector of my extension cable as common or Mono and leave the phones cable stereo. That way I can choose by using or not the extension.

It seems that you need an amplifier with a balance control, mono switch and tone controls! (old-fashioned concepts)

I bought a pair of DT531s after leaving Uni. £50 at Richer Sounds, Mansfield road, Nottingham. June 1995.

I loved them after the starter Sennheisers I'd been using previous couple of years.

Sadly they pretty much fell to bits after daily use after 3yrs of living on N Borneo that followed; the constant heat and humidity :/

advertisement

Back