advertisement

Better now than 9 years ago.

A year? Lucky you. I did get something paid for by the other guy's insurer inside a year, some physio on my hands and arms. Only a few sessions, and £10k to live on after 18 months. As I said to my solicitor, £10k is welcome, but it's the only income I have. Have you spent more or less than £10k in the last 18 months? The driver was prosecuted after 6-7 months and got a ban, the insurers eventually coughed 4 years and 6 months o the day after the accident.

Certainly felt incredibly lucky; in some ways the whole thing was strangely a positive experience.

My daughter arrived within minutes and her partner got straight on the first train down from Paris so I had fantastic support.

The hospital was useless so they found a disabled room in an IBIS and sorted a way to get me home. Daughter rang round to find some suitable pain killers.

I was very lucky to be fully covered for by the other directors in the business so no loss of income, although I wasn't in a position to spend anything over food and utilities.

People were all helpful when I was stuck in the wheelchair and I had some interesting insights into disabled living.

The insurance claim was essentially in two parts, direct expenses and compensation for permanent disability. The permanent disability claim was settled after three years when my prognosis was clear, I should have acted a bit better but was firmly embedded in a mind set of getting back to 90% of full health asap. Cover for inability to work was minimal.

The driver was pretty devastated and recognised my daughter next time she was at the airport, still had his job but he'll be more careful for ever.

Well done Steve, I raise my glass to you.

My 'accident' birthday was in October, 10 years now since my motorcycle accident. I woke after about a month.

Brain damage, all 4 limbs had breaks.

I had a few drinks as well on my anniversary, and avoided people.

It annoys me now when someone tells me how lucky I am to be alive.

I already know.

I would think that Mr Ribee and Max are utterly unconfusable.

Joe

Well, 11 years now. By 7pm on 8 Nov 2009 I was in Leeds LGI, though I still have no memory of anything after 3.30pm that day. I plan to remember this evening, the Champagne is in the fridge and the fancy potatoes in the oven, a steak is warming up on a plate prior to meeting a hot skillet fairly shortly. It would be better if the house had heating, but you can't have it all. After all, Ca coûte ce que ça coûte.

Chin chin, one and all, I'm opening a bottle. Subsequent postings may safely be ignored.

Yet another thing New Zealand does better: why oh why is it so blindingly simple. If you want to know more Google it.

My second birthday is 12Jan -I came out of a coma on that day in 2016. I call it my rebirth day and my wife and i do something to mark it. Usually a flash restaurant for set lunch so good value. Won’t happen in 2021 though as restaurants will probably still be closed

anyway many happy returns of the day to you

I was extremely lucky to avoid severe head injuries On three occasions as a kid. I must have aged my parents by a decade. As a kid you get back up and go do the same stupid things all over again and don’t dwell on the gravity of the situation, but I do sometimes consider, whenever I’m down on life, that I could very easily have died before reaching adulthood.

Happy second chances everyone.

Yeah, head injuries are a sh*t. Most of the time I'm not too much of an a rs*hol e but I have my moments. I generated a complaint on Friday following my interaction with a supervisor. The dept manager complained to my boss. My manager told him to go get f*ed, he's going to learn tomorrow what the unpleasant side of me *really* looks like. You need to understand, sir, that I am nothing less than a professional at all times. However if you expect me to change my behaviour because you don't like what I'm saying, you are sadly mistaken. Be very sure of what I say.

This side of me never came out before I bounced off a Toyota Starlet at 40 mph. I have to say that he's quite handy, but I do keep him in a box.

Yet another thing New Zealand does better: why oh why is it so blindingly simple. If you want to know more Google it.
Help me out, if NZ are better at having a few drinks and a decent dinner when marking a significant event show me. I'd like to have Mrs Steve round but pandemic means no. Knackered heating wouldn't please her either so perhaps it's for the best. Otherwise I'm doing OK, I'm feeling a bloody sight better than this time 11years ago. Food's a dawn si chi t better too.

My second birthday is 12Jan -I came out of a coma on that day in 2016. I call it my rebirth day and my wife and i do something to mark it. Usually a flash restaurant for set lunch so good value. Won’t happen in 2021 though as restaurants will probably still be closed

anyway many happy returns of the day to you
I came out of my coma March 2016, couple months after I had a big op that fortunately worked, certainly makes you look on things in a very different light. Every day’s a bonus and I do try harder than before to not be an arse, not 100% there on that yet :)

Happy Anniversary Steve! Enjoy the steak and vino.

I have to say that he's quite handy, but I do keep him in a box.

Lucky you.

I am unable to choose to keep my brain damage away from social interactions.

My last visit to a supermarket ended up with me shouting ‘F Off’ at someone who ground my gears.

Well, 11 years now. By 7pm on 8 Nov 2009 I was in Leeds LGI, though I still have no memory of anything after 3.30pm that day. I plan to remember this evening, the Champagne is in the fridge and the fancy potatoes in the oven, a steak is warming up on a plate prior to meeting a hot skillet fairly shortly. It would be better if the house had heating, but you can't have it all. After all, Ca coûte ce que ça coûte.

Chin chin, one and all, I'm opening a bottle. Subsequent postings may safely be ignored.
My second birthday is 23rd July.

All the Best

The luckiest accident victim I know was riding his motorbike when someone pulled out in front of him. He was thrown off his bike and struck the car with his chest. He immediately went into cardiac arrest.
The car behind him was being driven by a consultant heart surgeon from the LGI, and two cars further back was a nurse from his ward. They set straight to work, and the consultant rode back to the hospital in the ambulance, keeping the treatment going and preparing the team so that everything was ready for his arrival.
He recovered.

advertisement

Back