advertisement

Best way to integrate audio throughout a home?

ExtremePie

pfm Member
Anyone have any experience of this? I'm interested in setting up a smart home audio system that can play different (or synchronised) music in different zones (say three or four zones - as yet undecided)
Is there a simple way to do this over ethernet or wifi and integrate it with the rest of the smart home system?
Ideally I'd like something that I can utilise by having a DAC with volume control that will accept inputs from a LAN / Alexa and connect to the Power amp of my choice.
Are there any such 'smart' DAC's out there?

You need to narrow down what you want and what gear you already have in place. Any plans to include lighting, security, blind lifters etc.

SONOS and BlueSound do off the shelf stuff.

Sonos with Alexa is good - I have a Sonos Roam and use it as a portable radio and for music/podcasts/iPad speaker. Works well with Alexa, BBC Sounds, and is an Airplay and Roon endpoint. For my hifi I use Roon, which can also see the Sonos as an endpoint, and can also support and sync zones.

Thanks for the useful stuff. Simply turning the knob to the right doesn't have quite the WAF that I was hoping for!

Sonos roam is a speaker. I basically want to be able to connect a wifi enabled DAC (with volume attenuation) to a power amp. That way the speakers and power amp are up to me, and I have flexibility over the mounting arrangements, location of the amp etc. I'll probably use a AEOTEC hub (aka Samsung Smartthings). Basically I'm seeking a 'smart' DAC, with volume attenuation, that's wifi and/or ethernet capable and can integrate with a SmartThings hub for scenes, and voice control via Alexa.

I have no idea if such an animal exists.

SONOS do the Connect/Port which you connect to an amp/speakers. I use multiple SONOS Connect aka Zone Players into Multi Channel power amps wired to ceiling speakers. Same song in every room or a different one. I looked at stuff like Control4 but decided to stick with SONOS since I’ve had it from the beginning and get separate Lights/Cams/Security automation systems.
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/port

You could put something DIY together using the Rasp Pi, bound to be projects out there if you Google a bit.

I’m not aware of a smart DAC, they all seem to include a Streamer.

Aside from a sonos connect (and various post squeezebox touch devices) there seems to be something called an echo link which can go analogue out or digital out
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FR66D24/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
In what sense is this not what the OP is asking for?
I’m not exactly sure what he wants, I’d have thought SONOS would be ideal - Streamer/DAC. Just to point out Echo Links can’t send to multi-room from BT or Aux In.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have a look at Yamaha Musiccast, I have a couple of bits and they work really well! I have a CD-NT670D for CD Replay/Internet Radio as well as Spotify Premium, as well as a WXAD-10 for just streaming to a seperate system. SImilar to Sonos but they also make a DAC/Pre, DAC/Amplifiers, Integrated Speakers, Seperates (Recievers, Amps, HT Amps etc).

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html
EDIT - Although this specific model appears to now be discontinued.

Have a look at Yamaha Musiccast, I have a couple of bits and they work really well! I have a CD-NT670D for CD Replay/Internet Radio as well as Spotify Premium, as well as a WXAD-10 for just streaming to a seperate system. SImilar to Sonos but they also make a DAC/Pre, DAC/Amplifiers, Integrated Speakers, Seperates (Recievers, Amps, HT Amps etc).

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html
EDIT - Although this specific model appears to now be discontinued.
The Yammy WXAD-10 and 50 are discontinued, assume chip shortages to blame. The speakers all seem to be available.

If the O/P’s other half is anything like my Wife she’ll be after a smart looking system that is to be as invisible as possible with a simple GUI with plenty of choice. I’m ignoring it for the moment but I can see the plus points. A friend has a Sonos multi-room system with in-ceiling speakers, it’s not a real replacement for my kit in the Music room but I could live with it.

I use Roon. It connects to a multitude of brands.

I have:

(a) a high quality DAC (which is a Roon endpoint) in my main hifi;
(b) Bluesound powered speaker in my Kitchen;
(c) A second Bluesound powered speaker in another room;
(d) My teenage son uses his iPhone with headphones;
(e) I use my iPad with a dragonfly cobalt and headphones as a portable headphone system;
(f) for parties when I want music outside I use an iPad or iPhone with a bluetooth speaker attached;
(g) I sometimes use my MacBook with headphones;

You could easily have several good quality systems throughout the home using Roon ready DACs (or even raspberry pi streamers).

Many other brands are also Roon Ready (using RAAT). You can also use Sonos, Chromecast or Airplay (other protocols) - but note you cannot stream the same music to a combination of RAAT, Sonos, Chomecast and Airplay (mixed protocols). You can stream the same music to all endpoints using one protocol (e.g. Sonos) while streaming something different to any of the other protocols

It has other advantages including DSP, library amalgamation and advanced metadata. However one of the key reasons I started using Roon was multiroom capability.

Anyone have any experience of this? I'm interested in setting up a smart home audio system that can play different (or synchronised) music in different zones (say three or four zones - as yet undecided)
Is there a simple way to do this over ethernet or wifi and integrate it with the rest of the smart home system?
Ideally I'd like something that I can utilise by having a DAC with volume control that will accept inputs from a LAN / Alexa and connect to the Power amp of my choice.
Are there any such 'smart' DAC's out there?

I have a new system called Zuma that is currently organised in 8 zones. It is sound and light, I have 24 sound/light (Lumisonic) units and 26 light-only (Luminaire) units.

The Lumisonic units contain a 75w amplifier, speaker, 24/192 DAC, light and electronics. They have onboard Spotify, Amazon HD, radio, Airplay, Bluetooth and uPnP, with Alexa control. The lead on the speaker was the founder of Vivid Audio, who was previously the senior B&W engineer for many years, plus other B&W people and the main engineering guy from Naim. So the sound is brilliant, with great DSP. The lighting is just as good, infinitely dimmable and the warmth can be varied over about 2,500K.

I tend to use it with Alexa, which plays from Amazon HD, but I can use Roon and even my music library from Innuos. So it is part of the overall automation, with security, the kitchen, etc.

When I play movies, I link two zones using Apple TV+ and Airplay, so have 7 speakers active. If I want music throughout downstairs I will link 4 zones using Roon Groups, 16 speakers in total.

It needs a good wifi system because it is completely wireless, Ubiquiti is best.

I was a very early adopter because I started a rebuild just as it was launched, and I'm delighted with it, but it is easy to retro-fit.

Sonos or Bluesound are the best at this, by a distance, especially in relation to the grouping of zones without lag between them. Other good streamers are available but the software resource poured into Sonos in particular is way more advanced than anything else. There’s plenty of drivers available for integration into custom installed whole home heating/lighting/AV systems too, if you’re feeling flush. Most custom installers use those two brands for a reason. If you’re interested in that aspect, CEDIA is a good place to start.

Thanks to all. The echo link mentioned by Adamdea looks to be the exact beast I was searching for - a networked preamp. I'll also explore the Sonos range (reassuringly expensive however)!

I've found as I get older that the main thing is knowing what search term to use. In this case a networked preamp.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom