advertisement

Best way to get integrate an external HDD to my hifi system

Fin

pfm Member
Hi All,

I am trying to get some advice on the best options for playing the Flacs that I have stored on my external hard disk drive.

My current hifi setup is a Marantz PM6005 (which has optical and coax digital inputs) and some Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

I have tried to research as best I can but to be honest, I am getting more and more confused due to the shear number of option out there. Some of the potential solutions (I think) are one of or a combination of the following:

Raspberry Pi (with an add-on board), Squeezebox Touch, Sonos Connect, Auralic Aries, Pioneer N-50 Streamer.

I am interested in the Raspberry Pi route as it appears as if it would be most cost effective. However, I also do not want to compromise on sound quality.

Please can somebody shed light on the merits of these options, or others?

Thanks!

The simplest approach would be to buy an old G4 Mac Mini as this has both optical and coax output that your digital input needs. About £80 s/h. I assume that you have a USB drive and that just plugs into the Mac. You don't mention what format you have ripped your music but if its not FLAC you may be able to use iTunes to play your music. One box and one cable Oh and you can control the Mac remotely from any computer or smart device.

Cheers,

DV

thanks guys, music is stored primarily as FLAC. The other important (that i forgot to mention) point is that I do not have a home network at the moment. My house cannot get broadband, so my internet access is through a 4G cellular dongle. Will I need to buy a router and setup a home network for both the Raspberry Pi and the Mac?

get an old (or new) desktop pc with an electrical or optical spdiff output and connect that to the Marantz and plug the HDD into it.

W7/64 would be a bonus

Best to go with one with a realtek alc888 audio codec or better.

unbranded AMD based gamer nerd cast offs are a good bet!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=321812639270
you should be able to pick up something for under 50 quid I'd have thought

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a minix neo. Mine's an x8 but it's over a year old so I'm sure you can get a better one for the money now. It's basically a little computer running Android. You can plug a hard drive in, and it has optical out, although I use usb.

It plays all my audio and video (up to 4k); YouTube, spotify, Netflix etc. it's small, it's cheap, there are no fans and I can control it with my phone.

Pretty ideal for what I use it for.

I have a minix neo. Mine's an x8 but it's over a year old so I'm sure you can get a better one for the money now. It's basically a little computer running Android. You can plug a hard drive in, and it has optical out, although I use usb.

It plays all my audio and video (up to 4k); YouTube, spotify, Netflix etc. it's small, it's cheap, there are no fans and I can control it with my phone.

Pretty ideal for what I use it for.

This sounds perfect for what I want, basically a cost effective music streamer. I am struggling to find a user guide to work out if it works standalone or needs a TV connection for the user interface. Also, being Android, do you need an Android phone to control it?

RPi2 is £30 - load any of the available player software packages (I tried Volumio), plug in your external drive, connect audio out as a line source into your amp. You need to add an SD card, PSU and case (£15?), but you get a silent and tiny solution that is very, very flexible. I also tried an IQ Audio DAC+ board on mine - it did offer better sound quality, but in the end I settled for running OSMC/Kodi (XBMC) on it to make it a full multimedia player, and use Audio out via HDMI from RPi to TV, and then line out from TV into amp - this has now replaced my hacked ATV. It is perfect.

Richard

PS: whoops - you'd really need a home wifi router to control the audio player on the RPi via a smart phone or tablet though...

thanks guys, music is stored primarily as FLAC. The other important (that i forgot to mention) point is that I do not have a home network at the moment. My house cannot get broadband, so my internet access is through a 4G cellular dongle. Will I need to buy a router and setup a home network for both the Raspberry Pi and the Mac?

You don't necessarily need an internet connection to have a home network (LAN), although there are obviously many advantages to www acess. If, for example, you have a NAS for storing music, and a streamer to play from it, you can connect them both to a small switch with Ethernet cables, and that's it, you've got a network. I use a Netgear 5 port switch which costs about £20.
If you need wireless access to this network, just connect something like an Apple Airport Express to the switch as well.

Hi All,

I am trying to get some advice on the best options for playing the Flacs that I have stored on my external hard disk drive.

My current hifi setup is a Marantz PM6005 (which has optical and coax digital inputs) and some Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

I am interested in the Raspberry Pi route as it appears as if it would be most cost effective. However, I also do not want to compromise on sound quality.

Please can somebody shed light on the merits of these options, or others?

Thanks!
The words in bold are the dangerous ones, because in some people's books everything is a compromise.

All you really need is something which will read the flac files on the hard drive and output them as a coax or optical output.

You can do this with a pi if you get an extra board to give that output, or you can get a dac board which will convert to analog, or you can just use the pi's own analog outputs.

I suggest that latter route to kick off, even though it will be a bit of a sound quality compromise . You can then see whether you like the interface using squeezeplug or volumio. if you like it, I would then think about how best to do the D/A conversion.

Or just get a squeezebox touch which is brilliant. I would recommend setting up a router at home with wifi because that opens up the experience to allow using a phone as a remote and putting your hard drive storage somewhere in a cupboard . This is fantastic for lots of stuff beyond hifi.

Alternatively you could get any old pc/laptop and then work out how to do the D/A conversion.

IMHO it is important to distinguish between the user interface which is what really matters and the D/A conversion which may or may not be critical but can in any event be bolted on.

What you do NOT want to do IMHO is to get locked into a hifi manufacturer's idea of a user interface.

Thanks guys, does the Rasberry Pi compromise on sound quality?
Any recommendations on a router type?

Thanks guys, does the Rasberry Pi compromise on sound quality?
Any recommendations on a router type?
The raspberry pi will generally not compromise sound quality*, provided that you make a sensible choice of how to convert to analog.
I suggest you see how you get on with the pi and then make that decision later.

The choice of router depends on the features you want and the size of the property (eg for wifi range). The models change regularlly but I'd be srurprised if you went badly wrong buying any Tplink or netgear wireless router at modest cost. if you external drive is usb you might want one with a usb port.You might want to consider whether there is any chance you would want to use it as a modem (broadband connection) later.

*this is a very dangerous question to ask on a hifi forum.

Thanks for the very informative replies. I think I will go the RPi2 route and also setup a home network with router etc. Could somebody suggest an all-in shopping list to get me there? My amp has digital inputs, but if you consider that an external dac (no more than 100 bucks) would be better, then please do suggest one!
As I mentioned, I will need router / wifi equipment. Don't mind controlling with iPad, iPhone or my Dell laptop.

Your help is much appreciated. cheers

Thanks for the very informative replies. I think I will go the RPi2 route and also setup a home network with router etc. Could somebody suggest an all-in shopping list to get me there? My amp has digital inputs, but if you consider that an external dac (no more than 100 bucks) would be better, then please do suggest one!
As I mentioned, I will need router / wifi equipment. Don't mind controlling with iPad, iPhone or my Dell laptop.

Your help is much appreciated. cheers
I recommend reading this.
http://www.squeezeplug.eu/

If you have problems- my advice would be to ask for help
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=759319#p759319
or
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ients-(Audioplayer-Squeezeserver-Airplay-XBMC)
or
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Computer-based-HiFi

Alternatively
there will probably be something similar for volumio as opposed to squeezeplug

I'm not an expert on this because whilst I have played with Pis and other similar things and set them up in the past, I actually have 2 SBTs and don't really need them for audio. I'm thinking of giving max2play a go for XBMC though.

You will need some means of accessing the pi set up (usb keyboad and mouse) a memory card and a power supply. You will also need to connect the pi to the router by ethernet or wifi. Someone else jump in if I have forgotten anything

Our own resident Manwithavan is probably the best person to ask.

I have found the IQAudio Pi-Dac+ to be very good, but you could also use any DAC with a USB input, or buy something like the HiFiBerry Digi:

https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

which will give you optical and co-ax outs that you can plug into your amp.

For what it's worth, I found the built in analogue audio out to be noticeably inferior, and I don't consider myself to be some 'golden ears' super sensitive listener.

Given that the IQAudio and HiFiBerry boards are £30 or less, and there are loads of cheap USB dacs around, I'd definitely look at NOT using the analogue out, although it be fine just to test it and set it up, I suppose.

It's often useful to understand "how" before trying to determine "what"...

Given an input of a bunch of FLAC files in digital format on a hard drive and given that the requirement is to provide an analogue line-level signal to an input on a pre-amp, just "how" any solution needs to operate to achieve integrating the inputs to the desired output.

Firstly, the hard drive would have been formatted on some form of computer running an operating system. The operating system used will tend to determine the file system used to format the hard disk. The file system defines how files are written to / read from a hard drive as well as what metadata fields are written per file. If the hard drive was formatted under Windows, there are two common file system options: FAT32 and NTFS. FAT32 is useable on Apple Macs but NTFS is not. So, it is key to understand the file system used when the hard drive was formatted.

NB: If the hard drive was formatted using NTFS and you want to use an Apple Mac to read the hard drive, you will have to backup the hard drive, reformat the drive to FAT32 file system and then restore the files to the now-reformatted drive.

Next, any device that needs to retrieve FLAC files from the hard drive will need either a SATA/eSATA connector or a USB connector plus the controller hardware required to drive the port. Then, the said device will need to be able to communicate the files available on the hard drive to prospective listener - usually via some visual display device (eg a TV or a smaller, less obtrusive computer monitor). Next, this device needs to provide the user with a mechanism to navigate through the list of available files and to select one (or more) files to be played (or queued for play). Once the user instructs the device to commence playing, the device needs to retrieve the digital FLAC file, feed it through some form of Digital-to-Analogue Converter before channelling the signal to a line-level output.

Yes, it is possible to "knock together" a number of different solutions, each offering varying levels of cost and WAF. An RPi-based solution would be reasonably inexpensive but would still need a screen plus some hardware/software to permit a smartphone to function as a remote control.

At the other end of the cost spectrum one can buy audio-focussed integrated media players which come with everything packaged in a neat 19" standard audio component (eg Cambridge Audio's CX-N) - incorporating all of the necessary circuitry to manage the external hard drive, manage the display formats required to communicate options to the user, incorporate an in-built display on the fascia, provide remote control devices to enable navigation, incorporate audiophile-grade digital-to-analogue conversion (with up-sampling) and with audio-grade circuitry/disciplines in build. But these are not usually that cheap...

Somewhere in the middle, lies a third option which takes care of disk drive interfacing, user interfacing (display-driver and remote input) but lacks the facilities of a physical screen and lacks any digital-to-analogue conversion. This option relies on the use of a reasonably inexpensive video-focussed media player (such as Western Digital's TV) plus an el-cheapo and small PC monitor and also relies on the prospective already having a digital-to-analogue converter with a spare digital input (typically TosLink). The media player incorporates all of the functions to manage the hard drive, and manage the communication back and forth with the user, lacking only the display and audio signal conversion.

I tried out this third option using a Seagate GoFlex TV media player together with a 23" monitor and feeding TosLink optical digital output into my Bryston BDA-1 DAC. It worked - and quite acceptably too - but lacked adequate WAF to be a viable long-term solution for the main audio rig in the lounge.

Currently a similar set-up is still in use in the study where an Asus media player feeds both a TV and a small Denon amp and the TV provides the GUI, the Asus provides the remote and the Denon handles the audio to a pair of small Tannoy speakers.

Since that time, a neighbour bought a Cambridge Audio CX-N to fulfil the function you describe and, having played with it a few times, I am quite impressed (and a little bit envious).

If you're someone who does not stay satisfied with half-baked solutions, I'd strongly recommend a visit to your nearest Cambridge Audio dealer... :)

Hope that helps...

Dave

It's often useful to understand "how" before trying to determine "what"...

Given an input of a bunch of FLAC files in digital format on a hard drive and given that the requirement is to provide an analogue line-level signal to an input on a pre-amp, just "how" any solution needs to operate to achieve integrating the inputs to the desired output.

Firstly, the hard drive would have been formatted on some form of computer running an operating system. The operating system used will tend to determine the file system used to format the hard disk. The file system defines how files are written to / read from a hard drive as well as what metadata fields are written per file. If the hard drive was formatted under Windows, there are two common file system options: FAT32 and NTFS. FAT32 is useable on Apple Macs but NTFS is not. So, it is key to understand the file system used when the hard drive was formatted.

NB: If the hard drive was formatted using NTFS and you want to use an Apple Mac to read the hard drive, you will have to backup the hard drive, reformat the drive to FAT32 file system and then restore the files to the now-reformatted drive.

Next, any device that needs to retrieve FLAC files from the hard drive will need either a SATA/eSATA connector or a USB connector plus the controller hardware required to drive the port. Then, the said device will need to be able to communicate the files available on the hard drive to prospective listener - usually via some visual display device (eg a TV or a smaller, less obtrusive computer monitor). Next, this device needs to provide the user with a mechanism to navigate through the list of available files and to select one (or more) files to be played (or queued for play). Once the user instructs the device to commence playing, the device needs to retrieve the digital FLAC file, feed it through some form of Digital-to-Analogue Converter before channelling the signal to a line-level output.

Yes, it is possible to "knock together" a number of different solutions, each offering varying levels of cost and WAF. An RPi-based solution would be reasonably inexpensive but would still need a screen plus some hardware/software to permit a smartphone to function as a remote control.

At the other end of the cost spectrum one can buy audio-focussed integrated media players which come with everything packaged in a neat 19" standard audio component (eg Cambridge Audio's CX-N) - incorporating all of the necessary circuitry to manage the external hard drive, manage the display formats required to communicate options to the user, incorporate an in-built display on the fascia, provide remote control devices to enable navigation, incorporate audiophile-grade digital-to-analogue conversion (with up-sampling) and with audio-grade circuitry/disciplines in build. But these are not usually that cheap...

Somewhere in the middle, lies a third option which takes care of disk drive interfacing, user interfacing (display-driver and remote input) but lacks the facilities of a physical screen and lacks any digital-to-analogue conversion. This option relies on the use of a reasonably inexpensive video-focussed media player (such as Western Digital's TV) plus an el-cheapo and small PC monitor and also relies on the prospective already having a digital-to-analogue converter with a spare digital input (typically TosLink). The media player incorporates all of the functions to manage the hard drive, and manage the communication back and forth with the user, lacking only the display and audio signal conversion.

I tried out this third option using a Seagate GoFlex TV media player together with a 23" monitor and feeding TosLink optical digital output into my Bryston BDA-1 DAC. It worked - and quite acceptably too - but lacked adequate WAF to be a viable long-term solution for the main audio rig in the lounge.

Currently a similar set-up is still in use in the study where an Asus media player feeds both a TV and a small Denon amp and the TV provides the GUI, the Asus provides the remote and the Denon handles the audio to a pair of small Tannoy speakers.

Since that time, a neighbour bought a Cambridge Audio CX-N to fulfil the function you describe and, having played with it a few times, I am quite impressed (and a little bit envious).

If you're someone who does not stay satisfied with half-baked solutions, I'd strongly recommend a visit to your nearest Cambridge Audio dealer... :)

Hope that helps...

Dave

Excellent post! More so as I actually have a WD TV Live Hub media centre that I used in a previous house I lived in which had broadband!!
I have a spare tv that I can use. So, now I guess I need to create a home network for the WD tv live hub. How do I go about setting this up for what I need, I guess I need to go buy a router first(edit: apologies, I will go to WD website and read the user manual to save on the basic questions)

My house cannot get broadband, so my internet access is through a 4G cellular dongle. Will I need to buy a router and setup a home network for both the Raspberry Pi and the Mac?

The easy way would be a 4G router to provide wifi and internet access for your devices using the 4g network.
Some 4G routers have a USB socket for the dongle others will have a sim slot just like a phone.

A few examples:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/4g-routers/?sort=3#Content

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=4g+router

As always there are many available at all price levels.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The easy way would be a 4G router to provide wifi and internet access for your devices using the 4g network.
Some 4G routers have a USB socket for the dongle others will have a sim slot just like a phone.

A few examples:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/4g-routers/?sort=3#Content

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=4g+router

As always there are many available at all price levels.
Mark,
Nice One.
Keep things as simple and easy as possible.:cool:
I can't understand why the OPs house can't get Broadband if his phone dongle works though?

advertisement

Back