advertisement

best speakers for naim setup

halfcamoflauge

i have at the moment proac tablette 2000 on partington broadsides,and although i like the sweet sound they make,i find the bass to be annoyingly flat,what smallish speaker would partner the naim better than proac and why

The one that works in your room. No really! The room/ speaker interaction is the most difficult to get right. After that, finding the right amp is easy , if time consuming.

Also, to be fair you haven't said exactly what Naim...

Having had a parade of speakers the last year or so I now have Epos ES 14 MKIs on their dedicated stands and love them, many thanks to Ewen 1970 on here for parting with them!

I run LP12/Rega Jupiter/72/Hi/250/A5; Really nice :)

I went through many speakers during my Naim phase. I only found real success by moving away from Naim. However, during the Naim years I had most success with Wilson Benesch Arcs. They have down wards firing ports through holes in their stands and I have a very difficult room (lots of resonances) and they coped very well. The main problem is they are not very stable so a no-no if there are kids in the house.

Nic P

To my ears Naim electronics always work best with Neat loudspeakers.
Just be sure to steer clear of Naim's own transducers - they are shockingly poor.

This is a diffused opinion, but just an opinion. In the last five years I have had Marten Design Miles II, then Naim SBLs, then Naim Arivas then Naim n-Sats, now playing with CD5/Nait5/FlatCap2. So I have rather steeply downgraded, from a certain point of view. Yet, I find the n-Sats a very good small speaker, with unique characteristics. Naim loudspeakers embody Naim's idea of sound not less and not differently than their electronics. To snub them or despise them means not understanding Naim's philosophy completely. One can like them or not, but to say that Naim electronics are wonderful and their speakers rubbish, as is often read, is nonsense.

M.

This is a diffused opinion, but just an opinion. In the last five years I have had Marten Design Miles II, then Naim SBLs, then Naim Arivas then Naim n-Sats, now playing with CD5/Nait5/FlatCap2. So I have rather steeply downgraded, from a certain point of view.

May I ask if you have downgraded from a higher level Naim amplifier to the Nait 5?

Naim loudspeakers embody Naim's idea of sound not less and not differently than their electronics. To snub them or despise them means not understanding Naim's philosophy completely. One can like them or not, but to say that Naim electronics are wonderful and their speakers rubbish, as is often read, is nonsense.

M.
If I understand correctly, people using Naim equipment with speakers other than Naim's own are deprived of the full potential a complete Naim system can bring?

That would suppose that Naim engineers have more knowledge and have outsmarted all competitors including the ones with years of history and background in speaker design. I dont think so.

May I ask if you have downgraded from a higher level Naim amplifier to the Nait 5?

Of course you can. I did, but not in a straight line; I had a 202/HC2/Napsc/200, and under some perverse impulse I decided I wanted a full 7.1 system for cinema and music duties, so I gradually moved to DVD5/AV2/200/175, then a NaitXS for the 200, then I sold everything, then I finally realized that a smaller Naim system was enough for me and now it's CD5/Nait5/FC2 (on Nait only).

M.

If I understand correctly, people using Naim equipment with speakers other than Naim's own are deprived of the full potential a complete Naim system can bring?

That would suppose that Naim engineers have more knowledge and have outsmarted all competitors including the ones with years of history and background in speaker design. I dont think so.

No, I didn't exactly mean that. What I mean is, I think that the same ideas that undergo their amps' design (and, partially, their CDPs, for what I can understand) - to avoid euphonic presentations that do not correspond to how real music sounds, to avoid mid-bass augmentations that can simulate deep bass, to give their electronics both speed and lack of harshness, to emphasize detail and coherence, and to keep circuit design simple, not going after every new trend in electronics - are present, as far as this is feasible, in their loudspeakers. There's no doubt that Naim speakers have somewhat strange balances, compared to most of the competitors - some plainly hate them - but being a professional musician of 58, and having spent much time with HiFi and with live music, I can say that a pair of Naim speakers, properly matched with electronics and room, can give musical pleasure much rensembling the one one gets from live music.

This doesn't exclude at all that one can enjoy Naim amps and CDs with other speakers to a very high extent.

Regards,
Massimo

I could add this: a few days ago I was visiting a friend of mine who bought my Marten Miles II - great louspeakers, ceramic drivers, super heavy enclosure, among the least distorting transducers available - and who drives them with CEC drive, MarkLevinson DAC, EAR Yoshino preamp, Mark Levinson big power amp. At first I was amazed at how good it sounded - I hadn't been visiting for a while - but after a while I could hear through - so to speak - the extreme smoothness and the great imaging and hear a sound that was not, all things reduced to basics, more >true< than mine.

I can't explain more clearly. It's simply that I find n-Sats, and a few of other Naim loudpseakers, conceptually engaging and musically rewarding, and always react at posts that try to state that Naim loudspeakers are a genetical failure.

M.

I have plenty of friends who own Naim systems - none of them use Naim loudspeakers. Why do you think that is?

With my friends its the complete reverse!!!!!!!!

Why do you think that is?

Martin

I could add this: a few days ago I was visiting a friend of mine who bought my Marten Miles II - great louspeakers, ceramic drivers, super heavy enclosure, among the least distorting transducers available - and who drives them with CEC drive, MarkLevinson DAC, EAR Yoshino preamp, Mark Levinson big power amp. At first I was amazed at how good it sounded - I hadn't been visiting for a while - but after a while I could hear through - so to speak - the extreme smoothness and the great imaging and hear a sound that was not, all things reduced to basics, more >true< than mine.

I can't explain more clearly. It's simply that I find n-Sats, and a few of other Naim loudpseakers, conceptually engaging and musically rewarding, and always react at posts that try to state that Naim loudspeakers are a genetical failure.

M.
Naim loudspeakers are engaging and not at all as bad as some people suggest but I think they should stop spending time and money in the development of loudspeakers and concentrate on electronics.

advertisement

Back