advertisement

Best Software for Ripping (MAC) - to include Track Titles, Album Art etc

The Chronicals

Disruptor
Does anyone know what the best MAC based software is for ripping from CD, but will scan and implement the track titles and album art? If there is one!

If Itunes is a possibility, I would rather avoid it. I'm a full Apple user but find iTunes to be the worst piece of software ever made, and would rather avoid the swearing sessions I have had with it in the past.

Any advice gratefully received.

IThanks, I've tried that already and it continually freezes and crashes even on my 2017 top spec Imac 5K

DBpoweramp is the one to go for. Its a ripper, searches online for metadata and allows you to edit it, etc. There are some free alternatives, but dbpa is well worth paying a few quid for in my opinion.

Ah thanks, I dont mind paying for ones work, but so many of those types of indie programmes never work properly and its ends up being a waste of dollar. But by the sounds of it, this one is pretty spot on?

IThanks, I've tried that already and it continually freezes and crashes even on my 2017 top spec Imac 5K

Ah thanks, I dont mind paying for ones work, but so many of those types of indie programmes never work properly and its ends up being a waste of dollar. But by the sounds of it, this one is pretty spot on?
I found the XLD user interface to be poor, but that might just be me. It was also unstable on my MacBook, and I just couldn’t be bothered to try and get to the bottom of it. By comparison, DBPA just works.

dBpoweramp is indeed an excellent piece of software. I've been a user for quite a few years. Whatsnext's comment about metadata is pertinent though - keep an eye on it. I've seen very unhelpful genres such as 'vocal music' and 'folklore'(?), and also come across metadata from folk who obviously see the 'year' tag as one to use to note the year they bought the album rather than the album's release year...

Mick

Yes, do the free trial and decide for yourself.
If metadata retrieval is imperfect, you can’t really blame DBPA - or iTunes/XLD for that matter. All they do is access online databases run by third parties, none of which are perfect. The important thing is to check the metadata as you rip, have a decent metadata editor, and use it to make corrections.

Does anyone know what the best MAC based software is for ripping from CD, but will scan and implement the track titles and album art? If there is one!

If Itunes is a possibility, I would rather avoid it. I'm a full Apple user but find iTunes to be the worst piece of software ever made, and would rather avoid the swearing sessions I have had with it in the past.

Any advice gratefully received.

I use PC and over years I’ve used many ripping and tagging tools, and the one I like most is Foobar, because it’s flexible and powerful, even if the UI is a little less friendly than dbpoweramp. I notice that it has been ported to the Mac and given it’s free, I think it’s worth trying. Bear in mind though that you may have to download plugins for tagging from certain databases, and I don’t know how available this will be.

Just generally, the key thing with tags is NOT that you can tag from a database like freedb and musicbrainz or whatever. They can all do that, that’s a minimum. The key thing is what you do when there are no suitable database tags. In practice when that happens, you can find a track list online, normally in discogs or allyourmusic, which you can copy and if necessary, edit. Hence the tagging software needs to let you tag easily from a list copied to your clipboard. Foobar does that.

Having said that, it would be good to have software which took tags directly from Discogs, because it’s the best online database by far. Foobar used to be able to do that, but it has lost the functionality.

I am a bit of a newbie for ripping and some of the software is difficult to use for a luddite like me. I have a 2011 iMac and a Vortexbox but found that Dbpoweramp to be excellent for loading the CD's onto the vortexbox. Its own software is a bit clunky and did not let me edit the tags etc. But the guys above are correct, you should check the metadata first before ripping. Illustrate who do the software also have Perfect Tunes which is now available for Mac. You can bundle this at half price and it will go through all your music library correcting it and updating album art. There is a set up guide on the DB website which goes through how to best set up the ripping software to get the results you want. In the end if I can do it then anyone can, it is easy to use and I m happily working my way through 1000 CD's. Only 900 to go !!

I've run XLD Universal Binary on everything from Power PC G4 through G5 to recent Intel minis, Macbooks, iMacs and Mac Pros without problem (IOW, every architecture and OS since Panther).

When it comes to ripping CDs accurately, XLD is among those that take such variables into consideration as 'read sample offset correction' (and 'write sample offset' for those that burn the occasional disc).

And, with a decode library backend, it has been format upgradeable since the beginning, without the sufferance of flakey third party plug-ins; never a flaky FLAC, or OMG this OGG sucks.

I use iTunes so the option to 'Add encoded files to iTunes if possible' (I like that description), even to a specific playlist, is ideal. Were I only ripping my own CDs I could just as easily rely on iTunes own in-built ripping, however, I do buy and sample the odd FLAC and appreciate verifiable bit perfect conversion to ALAC.

I also find the UI to be right on, straightforward and simple, almost perfectly in line with Apple's classic standards, with no faffing about necessary, but lots of optimization options for those who want/need them.

Frankly, I find it surprising that it is still Donationware.

P.S. To anyone experiencing constant crashing of any Mac application, I can only suggest forced termination of the XLD process (specifically MPlayerX) via Activity Monitor deletion of same (and all supporting files) followed by reinstallation of same or an earlier or later build/version.

advertisement

Back