advertisement

Best live albums

I wouldn't say "hated", I would say "of little interest".

In the same category as Foghat, Triumph, REO Speedwagon, etc.
Curious how that works. Is it lack of record company promotion of those particular bands or just regional tastes? We have the same issue here in Canada. Some bands are super popular here (Max Webster, Tragically Hip...) but don't catch on in the US or UK. I know I purchased a lot of music over the years on import just because it wasn't available locally. Streaming has pretty much solved that issue for me though. I just had to locate fellow music lovers all over the world and follow their recommendations.

It's wonderful

Curious how that works. Is it lack of record company promotion of those particular bands or just regional tastes? We have the same issue here in Canada. Some bands are super popular here (Max Webster, Tragically Hip...) but don't catch on in the US or UK. I know I purchased a lot of music over the years on import just because it wasn't available locally. Streaming has pretty much solved that issue for me though. I just had to locate fellow music lovers all over the world and follow their recommendations.

It's wonderful
Max Webster, as far as I know, toured here once, as support to Rush.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Triumph, REO and the rest have ever toured here.

IMHO, the bands that put in the groundwork with repeated touring outwith the USA and Canada are the ones that reaped the rewards.

Was playing this the other day. A great live album! Not sure if he was popular outside the US.

OC03OTYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I wish this was released on vinyl but I still enjoy listening to it on Spotify. The cut “All Blues” is outstanding!

0000783158.jpg

Indeed, a great album. An old PFM-er kindly recommended "Joe Jackson Trio - Live Music Europe 2010", a double vinyl album which is not only excellent music but a superb recording. Amazon were flogging it dead cheap at the time.

81Yq2OJaf8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Saw Joe at Radio City Music Hall on the Big World tour late '80s. What a band!

Two new to me which I've come across the last week or so is Rory Galagher - Irish Tour 74 and Jacke Leven - For Peace Comes Dropping Slow. Mr Leven totally on form, and the singing and guitar playing individually are stellar, but together are even more than the sum of their parts. A beautiful, emotional and funny album. Rory Galagher - one of the greatest guitarists ever? Greatest preformers ever? On the strength of this, you'd have to say yes.

Two new to me which I've come across the last week or so is Rory Galagher - Irish Tour 74 and Jacke Leven - For Peace Comes Dropping Slow. Mr Leven totally on form, and the singing and guitar playing individually are stellar, but together are even more than the sum of their parts. A beautiful, emotional and funny album. Rory Galagher - one of the greatest guitarists ever? Greatest preformers ever? On the strength of this, you'd have to say yes.
Rory Gallagher put everything into a gig, so much energy, a proper live show and it didn't hurt that he always seemed to play in small venues where you could almost smell the sweat.

Gallagher was an incredible talent IMO. ' Live in Europe' is well worth a listen. Plenty of posthomus material out there also and in that regard, his most recent offering 'All around man' , is well worth a listen. Be it acoustic or electric, Gallagher to my ears, was one of the best I have ever heard.
I was lucky to see him on 2 occasions. Once at the peak of his powers and the second time, where it was obvious he was struggling from health issues, but still, as always gave it his all.
Prior to his solo career, his band 'Taste' were hailed as the next big thing but broke up unexpectedly. His first solo album (self titled) is my favourite Gallagher album, highlighting his versatility as a song writer and musician.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back