advertisement

Best Budget Sub Please?

Witterings

Witterings
My sub has blown, it was an Acoustic Energy Aegis that came as part of a surround package with a 10" driver and 150w, I'm not "precious" about the quality of movie sound and have a seperate amp for music but just want something for the "rumble" of explosions etc. that's "reasonable".

If anybody has suggestions of the best budget Sub would be apreciated.

Bit of a side question as well, is there such a thing as sub's with 2 independent inputs / volume controls so you could run an AVR into it and a stereo amp and have diferent volume levels for teh 2 inputs?

I shared a BK Electronics XXLS-400 DF between a Denon AV and a McIntosh amp that had two independent connections but only 1 volume control.
I used the Denon AV processor to set the subwoofer volume but I was using a DSPeaker AntiMode Dual Core to set the volume for the McIntosh Pre-Amp.

Cheers for those will definitely take a proper look this evening it looks like both the BK Electronics and the Rel have seperate inputs for stereo and AVR.

I quite like the look if the REl TZero, if I often find the old sub too much with the AVR / overpowering with some of "the booms", would the TZero be enough in a reasonable size room just to give an added effect over and above floorstanders.

I've had various AVRs with Audyssey and YPAO plus DSPeaker sub management - I've never had overpowering bass but normally a distinct lack of subwoofer channel volume level.

Whats your AVR?

I've had various AVRs with Audyssey and YPAO plus DSPeaker sub management - I've never had overpowering bass but normally a distinct lack of subwoofer channel volume level.

Whats your AVR?

It's an Denon AVR 2311, when I ran Audyssey it came out at +12 which is the max but means it may be well over that, I ran Audyssey several times adjusting the volume on the sub itself until the channel level was showing zero and the volume on the sub was at about 1/3 or possibly even 1/4 volume.

That said I don't necessarily think it's just the sub, I sometimes find the "loud bits" are way overdone in comparison to teh dialogue at the production stage and just too much, I've messed with the different day / midnight settings but still just find it overpowering sometimes.

It's an Denon AVR 2311, when I ran Audyssey it came out at +12 which is the max but means it may be well over that, I ran Audyssey several times adjusting the volume on the sub itself until the channel level was showing zero and the volume on the sub was at about 1/3 or possibly even 1/4 volume.

That said I don't necessarily think it's just the sub, I sometimes find the "loud bits" are way overdone in comparison to teh dialogue at the production stage and just too much, I've messed with the different day / midnight settings but still just find it overpowering sometimes.

+12 does seem wrong.
Can you manually set the subwoofer volume level using your ears or a smartphone app?

Last edited:
Rel HT1003 over here. I got it new for €400. It's my first sub so I have nothing to compare it to, but sounds pretty good. Crossover and level controlled by a MiniDSP DDRC-24.

My sub has blown, it was an Acoustic Energy Aegis that came as part of a surround package with a 10" driver and 150w, I'm not "precious" about the quality of movie sound and have a seperate amp for music but just want something for the "rumble" of explosions etc. that's "reasonable".

If anybody has suggestions of the best budget Sub would be apreciated.

Bit of a side question as well, is there such a thing as sub's with 2 independent inputs / volume controls so you could run an AVR into it and a stereo amp and have diferent volume levels for teh 2 inputs?

If you can get to Lymington I have a old but perfectly good Rel Strata you can have as it's surplus to requirements, I would post a picture but I have know idea how to!!

Mike

What is the budget for your budget sub?

Honestly there isn't one just something that does the job well and i won't be disappointed with. I didn't really want to spend more money at the moment (have had a lot of HiFi expense recently) but I alos don't belive in buying rubbish that I sit and think ... I wish.
To put it into context in another way and compare to cars I'm after a Seat rather than paying VW premium and Seat's are still very good cars.

If you can get to Lymington I have a old but perfectly good Rel Strata you can have as it's surplus to requirements, I would post a picture but I have know idea how to!!

Mike

That is an incredibly kind offer, Muphy's law I was changing a t-shirt there 2 weeks ago having spent the weekend satying at Sandy Balls and generally come that way 2 / 3 times a year. If I'm likely to be that way in the near future I'll see if you#ve still got it although I may well have bought by then.

I may well go the BK route, I belive there were some issues with hum but that's going back quite some time ago so I'm guessing it's resolved.

In terms of budget subwoofers, I've had a few, the Tannoy TS8 which was OK nothing more, the BK Gemini II which was excellent if you need something small and the Castle Classic which is superb if rare to find but worth searching out.

I’d buy the cheapest SVS that has the app. They are good subs with music, really good with films and controlling them from the listening position is a godsend.

In terms of budget subwoofers, I've had a few, the Tannoy TS8 which was OK nothing more, the BK Gemini II which was excellent if you need something small and the Castle Classic which is superb if rare to find but worth searching out.

Must admit I'm very close to hitting the buy button for their P10-150-GEM which is the replacement for the Gemeni and from what I can see is virtually identical, think the only real difference is the auto on/off.

I’d buy the cheapest SVS that has the app. They are good subs with music, really good with films and controlling them from the listening position is a godsend.

I'll certainly take a look at their range this evening before commiting to anything else as when not looking for a sub I kept seeing their name coming up.

SVS 1000 "pro" is the cheapest one on the line with the app and dsp ("pro" being the important bit), I reckon.

advertisement

Back