advertisement

Best audience ‘noise off’ on a live recording?

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
We all know about ‘Judas!’ and all that worthy stuff, but let’s celebrate daft interjections from the audience. My favourite is on the Nice’s ‘Five Bridges’ album. During the ‘Karelia Suite’ Keith Emerson goes into his obligatory Hammond disembowelling solo. After a minute or so of growls, roars and feedback screeches he stops torturing the poor thing and there is two seconds’ silence. Just enough time for a guy in the audience to say - not yell or scream, just say - ‘Yeah!’ And with perfect timing, Keith starts again on exactly the same farty buzzsaw noise he was producing before his pause. After more than forty years, I still can’t resist joining in with the ‘Yeah!’

It’s not available on YouTube, but if you have Spotify here’s a link. It happens at 6’54”.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5jALzTk6t3pzxTeiUKYK7M

Has anyone else got any favourite audience offerings they would like to share that weren’t edited out of a live recording?

King Crimson; USA. In one quiet intro, American female calls out "Who made your violin?"

I haven't listened for any in particular, but I'm sure some could be found amongst the grooves on Humble Pie's "Performance; Rockin' the Fillmore" ....

Not exactly from audience; on Siouxsie and the Banshees 'At the BBC' someone from the audience shouts a request to which Siouxsie replies "Shut up and enjoy what we're giving you". Love it.

Jimi Hendrix reply to requests on the Isle of Wight album is along the same lines. "You keep calling out for all those old songs, damn, we been trying to get some new stuff together!"

Bloomsbury Theatre, 1986. Peter Hammill had just broken a string on his acoustic, was pondering what to move on to, and a lady sounding very like the one on the King Crimson instance I quoted above called out "Would you like me to restring your guitar for you?"

It's not on an album anywhere.

Tangerine Dream, Edinburgh Playhouse 1986. Piano solo in progress, there's a pause, and, from the back of the stalls ... "On ye go, big man!"

Genesis; Apollo Theatre, Glasgow 1981. In a pause in the midst of Carpet Crawl - "Yer the best f*cking band in the wurruld!"

Again, not on album

Stevenage Locarno, 1967, Ike and Tina Turner Revue. First line of song, sung unaccompanied, 'I've got something on my mind' audience member shouted out 'your hair.' Fair play to Tina she pointed to him and smiled.

Bloss

Charlie, "No Second Chance" album, on Guitar Hero at the beginning "C'mon, lets get this sh*t on!"

Not the best, quite the opposite. The pillock who did a ‘whoop’ at the start of The Needle and the Damage Done on Neil Young’s Unplugged album.

I have a classical piece (can't remember what it is though) where the conductor can clearly be heard giving instructions to the orchestra !

The chap who insistently yells something convoluted and probably controversial at the end of Burnt Weeny Sandwich. After a second attempt and one put down Zappa dryly retorts ‘stop it, you’ll hurt your throat’.

The chap who insistently yells something convoluted and probably controversial at the end of Burnt Weeny Sandwich. After a second attempt and one put down Zappa dryly retorts ‘stop it, you’ll hurt your throat’.

The other Zappa one that comes to mind is ‘Honey, Don’t You Want a Man Like Me?’. There’s a brief pause and a guy bellows ‘F**K YOU!!!’ The speed of Zappa’s response (‘And f**k you too, buddy, f**k you very much!’) suggests it wasn’t the first time he’d used it!

I'm not sure if it made it onto the semi official bootleg CD (Mersey Trout) but after a clear out of old members Capt Beefheart was just about to introduce the band when someone shouted "where's Zoot Horn Rollo, you bas***d"

This has always irritated the hell out of me...I almost feel sorry for whoever made that noise...and I would have edited it out..

A pint for whoever identifies it.

(I assume not counted as a needle drop since I uploaded it to utube!)

This has always irritated the hell out of me...I almost feel sorry for whoever made that noise...and I would have edited it out.. A pint for whoever identifies it.

I was tempted to ask which particular noise you mean, but are we supposed to guess which one you're referring to?

LOL, no, identify the album.
I would hope the offending 'cheerwhoop' (for want of a better description..) is pretty obvious!

advertisement

Back