advertisement

Bernard Hill RIP

True, his skill and versatility as an actor ensured he was not typecast and he went on to massively develop his portfolio; who would deny him his pay cheques from the subsequent blockbuster he appeared in?

Yet Yosser was his most powerful and greatest ever performance, and Boys From The Blackstuff was the definitive TV programme of the 1980’s, and the towering artistic statement on, and denunciation of, Thatcher’s Britain. BBC news yesterday stressed his roles in Titanic and LOTR, relegating BFTB to a mere footnote in his career. Even after more than forty years, it seems the BBC is a little embarrassed that it once produced such visceral, moving, radical and potent programmes like Our Friends In The North and BFTB.
Oh come on, I'm sure his performance in Boys from .....was fantastic, a little before my time unfortunately but the TV series will never trump those two films. To the vast majority he will always be The horse master king Theoden....fear no darkness horse master and RIP

Oh come on, I'm sure his performance in Boys from .....was fantastic, a little before my time unfortunately but the TV series will never trump those two films. To the vast majority he will always be The horse master king Theoden....fear no darkness horse master and RIP
Not sure what relevance this is to the man's demise. I respectfully suggest his family are a more important concern.
RIP Bernard

Boys From The Blackstuff is one of the greatest television dramas ever made. The script and acting are beyond reproach. It portrayed the zeitgeist of three million unemployed and rising, and the hopeless, grinding poverty of the period- yet captured perfectly the pride, integrity, defiance and humour of those who refused to have their humanity ground into the dust. The characters are not shown without blemish, but are wholly believable- and Bernard Hill’s Yosser was the standout performance.

I don’t begrudge him his LOTR payday (as I don’t begrudge Daniel Craig’s, but James Bond could never hold a candle to Our Friends In The North). I’m glad you enjoyed Lord Of The Rings, but it in no way compares to the brilliance of Alan Bleasdale’s towering achievement and the ensemble performance of the cast.

Man, he was good.

I was working on Boys From the Blackstuff on location in Liverpool. We had just shot the scene on the building site where he nuts Mr Molloy (and actually did catch him, he told us rather sheepishly.) He came into the pub, still in costume and still looking fairly psychotic. I instinctively backed against the wall.
Did you work on any of the other episodes ? The opening scene of the original play for today and Chrissie’s story were both filmed on the road I grew up on. Someone from the BBC knocked on our front door, looked straight through to the back yard and said it was just what they were looking for. My mum sent them packing when she found out Alan Bleasedale was the writer “there’s nothing but swear words in his programmes”. RIP Bernard.

Boys From The Blackstuff is one of the greatest television dramas ever made. The script and acting are beyond reproach. It portrayed the zeitgeist of three million unemployed and rising, and the hopeless, grinding poverty of the period- yet captured perfectly the pride, integrity, defiance and humour of those who refused to have their humanity ground into the dust. The characters are not shown without blemish, but are wholly believable- and Bernard Hill’s Yosser was the standout performance.

I don’t begrudge him his LOTR payday (as I don’t begrudge Daniel Craig’s, but James Bond could never hold a candle to Our Friends In The North). I’m glad you enjoyed Lord Of The Rings, but it in no way compares to the brilliance of Alan Bleasdale’s towering achievement and the ensemble performance of the cast.
My post was more to do with the fact you say the bbc didn’t give it the recognition you feel it deserves. His performance was lauded and by all accounts it deserved it. But, the two big films he was involved in were awarded 22 oscars between them, with that in mind they were always going to lead with that….but whichever way you cut it, he was a great performer.

My post was more to do with the fact you say the bbc didn’t give it the recognition you feel it deserves. His performance was lauded and by all accounts it deserved it. But, the two big films he was involved in were awarded 22 oscars between them, with that in mind they were always going to lead with that….but whichever way you cut it, he was a great performer.
That's a fair observation, it's also worth noting that BFTBS was 40 years ago now so anyone under 50 just won't remember it, however good it was. That's most of the audience. LOTR is another affair, we all know about that even if like me you haven't actually seen it.

*Spoilers*

He's brilliant in The Responder, in one scene he calls his son out for being a thief, the son thinks his father is an old demented drunk and won't notice that he's dipped his cash stash but is soon brought right down to earth. BH tells him he's stopped drinking because he was ashamed.

That's the best scene so far, I've watched four of the episodes.

…it's also worth noting that BFTBS was 40 years ago now…
…as I reminded a couple of friends who also worked on it by email yesterday. Then we all sighed and wept into our beer, wondering how our lives had flashed by so quickly… I was probably one of the youngest involved, and it’s very odd to think there aren’t too many of us left standing.

Did you work on any of the other episodes ? The opening scene of the original play for today and Chrissie’s story were both filmed on the road I grew up on. Someone from the BBC knocked on our front door, looked straight through to the back yard and said it was just what they were looking for. My mum sent them packing when she found out Alan Bleasedale was the writer “there’s nothing but swear words in his programmes”. RIP Bernard.
I was assistant editor on all the videotape episodes (1,2,3 and 5) but was only in Liverpool for around a quarter of the shooting. It was a long time ago (see above) and it all tends to merge into one, but I remember being at the building site and, yes, Chrissie’s house. The argument between him and his wife left us all in stunned silence. I also remember, for some reason, Snowy and the tall policeman on the East Lancs Road.

Fun fact: When it first appeared on my forthcoming schedule it was called Nice, Work, If You Can Get It. By the time I travelled to Liverpool it wasn’t.

Last edited:
That's a fair observation, it's also worth noting that BFTBS was 40 years ago now so anyone under 50 just won't remember it, however good it was. That's most of the audience. LOTR is another affair, we all know about that even if like me you haven't actually seen it.
I’d recommend a little look on YouTube for a few of his scenes. King Theodens battle speech is always worth 5 mins of your time.

You ex-Xav's too? I was there 86-88
I missed you by a few months, 88-90 for me. It's got a different feel to the place now, they’ve teamed up with Manchester Giants to form a basketball academy and tap into the local enthusiasm. Tony Knowles is the principal if you remember him.

I missed you by a few months, 88-90 for me. It's got a different feel to the place now, they’ve teamed up with Manchester Giants to form a basketball academy and tap into the local enthusiasm. Tony Knowles is the principal if you remember him.
No, don't remember him, only my chem, physics and bio teachers, Mr Jackson, Mr Humphries, Ms Batty (swoon) and then Principal, Brother Cyril, who once gave me the option of keeping my then yellow mohican and leaving, or getting rid of it and staying. As it it didn't seem to be making me as cool or popular as hoped, it went and I stayed.

Back on topic, he was one of those actors who made anything with him in it instantly worth watching. An even as a 12-year old, I remember finding BFTBS profoundly moving.

I was scared of Yosser Hughes. He reminded me very much of one of my older brother's volatile drinking buddies. Bernard Hill was clearly a very good actor. Sad that he is gone. RIP Mr Hill.

image hosting

advertisement

Back