advertisement

BEARD AUDIO branded KT88 valves

wadenits

I have seen BEARD AUDIO branded KT88 valves for sale. I cannot seem to find any information on the sound of these. Has anyone heard them?

Thanks

Well Beard haven’t existed for thirty odd years and I don’t remember them ever having own branded valves - all the KT88’s at the time were branded Gold Lion as I seem to recall

I used to be a contact for Bill many years ago and he told me about the branded KT88's. He told methat when he ordered a batch from the factory the assembly line was stopped and the branding stensil changed from Gold Dragon to BB Audio and then started up again. He was a colourful character was old Bill and this was just one of many amusing things he told me. I had the BBA'a in my P100 and there mst have been a lot of truth in what he told me as they sounded exactly as the Gold Dragon branded valves i had at hand. Just saying.

The printer will have been stopped, maybe, the line will not - a bit of poetic licence. When I was working on lamp manufacture, changing the brand was just a gravure plate change and took experience and a very few seconds to achieve. Anything that got through minus a stamp was just pulled out and put back into the line downstream of the printer.

I have no idea about these but most brands went with whoever had the best price for the right volume at the right time. It would be easy enough to tell from the metalwork inside who most likely made them (based on my experience with ECC types).

advertisement

Back