advertisement

Beady Eye

Is Liam not middle class enough for some of you guys?
He is one of the best frontmen of the past 15 yrs or would you prefer that nice ex public school dullard Chris Martin.

Am not a middle class person and liked some of the early Oasis songs but seemed they massively outlasted their inspiration - a few years ago they gave the worse ever healiner performance I've seen on the Glastonbury pyramid stage - yes even Coldplay were better.

Is Liam not middle class enough for some of you guys?
He is one of the best frontmen of the past 15 yrs or would you prefer that nice ex public school dullard Chris Martin.
Gallagher is a tit and a shite frontman. Oasis were pony too.

No that's correct, you can stay listening to Dad rock for as long as you choose, it's a free country

Interesting! I think of Oasis as TOTALLY being Dad rock. Quite literally. At weddings you know exactly what beery duffers will start pronking around the dance floor when Oasis comes on.

But when much older stuff like ABBA is played all the luverly young laydees appear...

Interesting! I think of Oasis as TOTALLY being Dad rock. Quite literally. At weddings you know exactly what beery duffers will start pronking around the dance floor when Oasis comes on.

But when much older stuff like ABBA is played all the luverly young laydees appear...

We're talking about the Beady Eye album though and not Oasis, they are quite different

I wonder how you know what I listen to? I'll infer that you're an arse, though!

Simply from you postings on this forum about Lady GaGa et al, however, there really isn't any reason to be offensive but from your post I'll assume you to be a cart and leave it at that

We're talking about the Beady Eye album though and not Oasis, they are quite different

There it is. Beady Eye are NOT like Oasis at all is it.

Not my field of expertise, so I will go along with that there.

DS

On first viewing I thought Beady Eye was an Oasis tribute act.

Exactly - as Oasis are a poor Beatles tribute act ,Beady Eye are a poor Oasis tribute act

Plus they did the theme for that lousy Will Mellor "comedy" In with the Flynns

I heard what I guessed was the new Noel Gallagher single the other day. Sounded exactly like average to dull Oasis. Nothing new in the Gallagher world methinks. Not that there ever was really.

Zactly; dad rock of the highest order. Which is like having a high score in golf.

article-1210152-063CEBC8000005DC-566_468x356.jpg

As the years go by, teenage blokes tend to become dads, so all rock will become dad rock, however 'edgy' it may have been 5/10/20 years ago.

I think there's more to dad rock than that; it's not just about the age of the music. It has to be poor as a starting point.
If Jeremy Clarkson likes it you know it's dad rock.
If main stream politicians associate with it, it's likely to be or end up being dad rock.
If the band list Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Led Zep, Yes, Rush and / or Pink Floyd as their main influences, it's probably dad rock.
If you hear it at a hifi show / gathering of audio nerds it's probably dad rock.
If there's a 'DVD-A 5.1 mix' available, probably dad rock.
If afore-mentioned audio nerds insist on comparing the 'DVD-A 5.1 mix' to a 180g 'virgin vinyl' re-issue, has to be dad rock.

That kind of thing.

I think there's more to dad rock than that; it's not just about the age of the music.
It has to be poor as a starting point. If Jeremy Clarkson likes it you know it's dad rock. Also if main stream politicians associate with it, it's likely to be or end up being dad rock. If the band list Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Led Zep, Yes, Rush and / or Pink Floyd as their main influences, it's probably dad rock.
That kind of thing.

Looking at a random Dad Rock compilation on Amazon, the featured artists include:

Rod Stewart
Tom Robinson
Blondie
Small Faces
The Stranglers
Billy Idol
The Jam
Iggy Pop
The Kinks
Motorhead
Focus

A fairly random mixture of the good, the bad and the naff.

The only artists exempt from Dad Rock status are those too obscure to be compiled.

Dad rock compilations shouldn't be taken as the arbiter of what is and isn't dad rock; just like 'the best guitar / synth / rock / air guitar / whatever album in the world ever' isn't actually the best guitar / synth / rock / air guitar / whatever album in the world ever.

So what is the arbiter of dad rock-ism? From the list I cited, I'd say Iggy Pop now qualifies as Dad Rock, ditto Blondie. (The Kinks/Small Faces are more like Grandad Rock).

advertisement

Back