advertisement

Be very discerning about refurbished Lowther speakers on ebay from Germany

I've been maintaining Lowther units for many years and today was sent a pair for service.

They had been bought within the month from German ebay classifieds. Said to have been professionally reconed and refoamed the units didn't seem quite right.

Upon opening the parcel I found that the cones were sitting right at the bottom of the frames and not moving in the magnet gap. Taking them to pieces . . .
PM6C units have to have the top of the voice coil flush with the back of the frame . . . Um . . .
index.php

index.php

and when refoaming old foam and the glue if possible has to be removed properly before new foams are attached . . . and it's rather a good idea to make sure that the cone is centred . . . and the foam is properly and evenly glued . . .
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

A very professional refurbishment indeed.

I reported accordingly:
  • the voice coils should be near flush with the back of the baskets / front of the magnets on the C series Lowthers and upon re-foaming they have not been set up properly. This may be part to do with mis-mounting, and may also be a result of using non-original foams
  • the old foam had not been removed and cleaned properly from the cones
  • the old glue had not been removed from the cones. This causes difficulty in properly locating new foam in position
  • the new spiders had been installed on one skew, which would cause problems with centring and skewed from perpendicular motion, and on the other, off centre and not properly glued.
  • on one a voice coil repair has been carried out with new lead-in wires down the cone. Without disassembly I'm unable to see the join but (a) such joins are very difficult to achieve, (b) unreliable and (c) if a voice coil has failed in one place it is likely to fail in another place for the same reason as the first failure. Such units should be returned to Lowther for their service replacement service.
  • on one voice coil there is a noticeable vertical line across all turns, probably caused through abrasion past something in the magnet gap. The wire is visibly kinked. This is soft aluminium wire and if thinned or fatigued by such a kink increases probability of failure.
  • by eye the voice coil of at least one of the units does not appear to be perfectly circular. Circularity has to be achieved using a special tool if necessary and possibly steam if particularly bad, and this is clearly beyond the scope of whoever was responsible for the repairs. It is critical as at best there is only 1/4mm tolerance within the magnet gap and poor circularity can reduce that beyond the wisker leeway.
The "refurbishment" leaves much, rather than everything, to be desired and whoever undertook the work was not competent to be refurbishing Lowther units.

I advised: whilst I could bodge, introducing packing between frame and magnet, applying more glue where missing, possibly replace the spiders or more, the units are still likely to end up a mess and potentially troublesome with potential issues with the voice coils and unknown glues which may not be able to be removed successfully. For this reason and bearing in mind they were sold as having been competently rebuilt, they should not be returned to the seller for him to re-bodge and re-sell as Lowther units and instead should be forwarded to Lowther for service replacement at his expense.

I hope that the seller will make amends accordingly to the buyer and that other pairs of Lowthers he's selling on Ebay Marketplace in Germany will be withdrawn so that others do not buy thinking that units like this are in any way representative of Lowther.

Best wishes

David P

Actually looking at the photos, so distracted by the workmanship I've missed the obvious! DX or A series cones in the C series frames . . . OUCH!

This is really a shame - Lowthers are pretty rare here in the USA ( probably more like really ,really rare) - I have heard them exactly once -about 40 years ago and they left a vivid lasting impression - something was really right about this speaker. Refurbed /rehashed is something you want someone who can do a bit better than no parts fell off as it left the packaging -shame -really.

The seller did fully disclose his incompetence by clearly advertising on Epay.

Id have been more surprised if they’d been fine.

Actually looking at the photos, so distracted by the workmanship I've missed the obvious! DX or A series cones in the C series frames . . . OUCH!

Yes, I spotted that straight away! (NOT :confused:)

I'm glad there are people like you around who know what they're talking about and can spot this stuff, saves us mere mortals getting ripped royally off!

In the light of day I looked again at the cones - they are C series cones but not mounted properly.

The ebay seller has responded:
"The Lowther were taken over by a company that repair only loudspeakers here in Germany from a large number of shops and well-known loudspeaker manufacturer.
Probably the best known company in Germany for repairs. I got the speakers fixed and working back with new surrounds.
I think that's because Mr. David Pinnegar is working with Lowther and I didn't have the speakers repaired by Lowther, that will of course annoy him und so he make the speakers correspondingly bad. I can not say more about that."

The photos below show the mounting of the front foam with the cone.
20201008_120722_HDR.thumb.jpg.cc139d00eefa5beaa1237f6369669d58.jpg
20201008_120706_HDR.thumb.jpg.bdd0d56e1b19bbadcdc9c38476c02d4a.jpg

They are simply not fitted properly.

Best wishes

David P

I don't understand what the eBay seller is saying. Or did the buyer write that to you?

Either way, looks terrible. You can see where the little cone attaches to the main cone there are little tabs to hold them together. Looks like some of them have come loose as well. What a mess!

The seller has responded to the buyer:

Sent: 08 October 2020 8:53 PM
Subject: AW: FW: FW: Lowther problems

I wonder why you didn't order the loudspeakers from Mr. Pinnegar, when he did has such good relations with Lowther.

Isn't there something wrong?

I think I still sold the speakers to you for a good price. I regret that you are dissatisfied. For me it's done.

I wish you a good time.

Kind regards

Oliver

To make it very clear I do not sell Lowther speakers.

A link to one of this seller's pages is:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...ned-einwandfreier-zustand/1391420311-172-8249
showing location 76327 Baden-Württemberg - Pfinztal

Best wishes,

David P

eBay dispute, think you have all the evidence required by the buyer in those pics....
It's eBay's German marketplace (eBay Kleinanzeigen), not eBay itself, and I don't think there is buyer/seller protection in that case. More like Craigslist/Wallapop/OfferUp/Letgo/etc.

Even if eBay was on the hook to offer protection, I doubt they would given that the speakers have been partially disassembled.

It's eBay's German marketplace (eBay Kleinanzeigen), not eBay itself, and I don't think there is buyer/seller protection in that case. More like Craigslist/Wallapop/OfferUp/Letgo/etc.

Even if eBay was on the hook to offer protection, I doubt they would given that the speakers have been partially disassembled.

Very odd that Ebay would have a marketplace which would eat into their own fees from listing buy it now or auctions?

On ebay at the moment is a pair of Stamm drivers in LothX cabinets which I have rebuilt with very lightweight especially produced cloth surrounds. The back spiders used by Stamm were cloth also so these units will last a lifetime, especially as the voice coil isn't aluminium. I tested the frequency response and they are better in the 14-20kHz region. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193652998254 Potentially well worth going to hear and in my opinion a bargain at the price. The owner is a recording producer and he has needed to standardise his home speakers in line with his recording engineers.

Best wishes

David P

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On ebay at the moment is a pair of Stamm drivers in LothX cabinets which I have rebuilt with very lightweight especially produced cloth surrounds. The back spiders used by Stamm were cloth also so these units will last a lifetime, especially as the voice coil isn't aluminium. I tested the frequency response and they are better in the 14-20kHz region. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193652998254 Potentially well worth going to hear and in my opinion a bargain at the price. The owner is a recording producer and he has needed to standardise his home speakers in line with his recording engineers.

Best wishes

David P

That pair appears to have finally sold in an ebay auction on Sunday for a small fraction of that asking price http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=193824270639

This seems quite common with Lowthers on eBay, that the disparity between BIN asking prices and actual prices achieved at auction is even greater than usual. If, like me, you're interested in acquiring a first pair but have little to no knowledge, it's rather unsettling. Where should one look to buy, at the cheapest end of the market but not DIY, if not eBay; and is there a good place to learn?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back