advertisement

Battle of the Champs

The chip amps are very impressive in terms of hifi attributes, but I just want to listen to more music for longer and louder with the other amps.

To some extent yes. However it should be noted that both chip amps use toroidal transformers and I have used these in other amps and to me they have a characteristic sound that is a tiny bit nasal. I hoped that the high PSRR of the chip amps - reg supply for the Akitika and huge loop gain on the MyRef - would negate this.
The other amps use EI cores transformers which seem to result in a cleaner but more mellow sound.
The chip amps are very clear sounding, particularly the MyRef, but it's almost like an early LED TV - too much contrast/brightness. The other amps are more like a plasma TV, i.e. more subtlety.
Hope this makes sense!

After hearing the Kii threes at home and thereby having a different reference point along with further listening. I have changed my mind, the My Ref is the winner.

The NAP clone is interesting because the "enhanced" sound it has is addictive for low level listening and semi-background music e.g. I can listen to Radio Paradise all day with this amp whereas some tracks can be irritating (bear in mind the compression and who knows what else going on on many internet radio stations) with other amps. However for more critical listening at "proper" SPLs the clone loses the plot a bit. I think I can uderstand the love/hate relationhip there seems to be with this particular brand.

I'm intrigued by your perception of a nasal quality from Toroids. I can't imagine that the transformer type in my mod86p is in anyway audible with over 90db of psrr in the amp alone. With distortion down in the 0.005% range for decent chip amp I just don't see how it would present itself.

Also if you used the same transformer in a Boggo class ab that nasal quality would be 40-50db more apparent.

Quick question, do you ever add correctly specified c-rc snubbers the secondaries of your transformers?

No I must admit I have only tried generic RC snubbers. I have not found them to make any difference. I remember one of your posts about the device you built to provoke the resonance and thereby to choose the RC values correctly. I did mean to try it but never got round to it. Dario reckons it is not necessary on the MyRef.

Maybe the MyRef would be even better with "better" transformers or maybe it makes less difference on high feedback circuits like the Mod86P and MyRef?

In addition, I do have one toroid which sounds great. It's a 1KVA an early prototype for an Alecto amp. It uses an interwinding screen. Its secondary voltages are too high for champs though.

I wish I knew all the answers to these questions. Life must be so much simpler for the measurists. :)

advertisement

Back