advertisement

Bake-Off: CDPs vs streamer, Sat, June 27th

Quick update.
This session will be going ahead this coming Sat morning. Right now it'll be my Meridian digital source vs an Acoustic Research CDP, with an MC2 power amp driving my speakers.
Have to say that I've very curious how that pans out.

Even if you don't have any suitable kit and just want to come along, please do advise.
Of course if you have an interesting CDP and/or pre-amp (preferably balanced), all the better...

Well I'd like to hear the conclusions as I'm at the crossroads right now of deciding whether to sell my CDP and migrate to a streamer and NAS (or PC and DAC but that's another debate.)

probably not helpful or even constructive as I am too far away to attend anyway however I have recently had a 4 day home demo with the new Naim NAC-n272. Into a NAP200 driving Ovator S-400's I found the streamer and DAC playing a rip of the same CD's (EAC ripped FLAC) to better the CD5XS currently in my system. Even going one further and connecting the CD5XS as a transport only using the 272's DAC (which I suspect is better by a good margin) the CD transport still sounded slightly inferior.

from this I have traded my current gear in, inclusive of the CD player, towards a new 272.

Just to clarify, what is the purpose of the test being carried out as surely any perceived differences will come down to the personal tastes of the group gathered & also by switching in & out various sources & dacs I can't see how it will achieve anything.

I'm not being dismissive just curious as to what is expected.

advertisement

Back