advertisement

Backlash against coloured/splattered/piece of pie vinyl

molee

pfm Member
I only ever had one picture disc (a xmas gift) and the sq was rubbish. I hear from others that this can be par for the course for PDs. I have studiously avoided the current fad for 'strictly limited edition' coloured/ splattered initial pressings and have asked for/waited for the black vinyl. Having said that I was sent, courtesy of Piccadilly Records, a copy of the Eat Lights, Become Lights album which came as a white, grey, translucent tri-piece of pie disc. The music is fab but I can hear differences in background noise as the needle covers the different pieces of pie. I would like to officially start the backlash against novelty pressings dedicated to the aquisitive/speculative 'collectors' whose copies will disappear into racks without even an initial, never mind subsequent, spin on a turntable. I think I'll call it CaRVE-Campaign for Real Vinyl Experience- feel free to offload your novelty vinyl angst in a cathartic rub-a-dub stylee right here (I've just realised writing this last sentence that some of my 'black' dub pressings are truly abysmal but hey-ho).
I like to think I am a tolerant sort of person but I feel a Fahrenheit 451 type ban/mass destruction frenzy may well be in order.

I used to have Ian Dury's "New Boots & Panties" on er... gold vinyl which sounded like it was made from emery paper. I've fried bacon with less hissing and crackling!
On a more positive note, Television's "Foxhole" on 45rpm 12" red vinyl sounds OK, not any better or worse than many normal records of it's time. I do avoid the non black stuff as a rule 'though.

When I got the 2 LP Drive OST, the RSA seemed surprised that I wanted the black vinyl version rather the picture disc one is it.

It seems the new wave vinylfan likes the sleeves and the art part just as much as the music part. But I also have hand painted album covers on the wall, so why not?

DS

Worth remembering black is a colour too as vinyl is clear! Picture disks are notoriously poor, but coloured vinyl can be as good or bad as black vinyl IME, and it also tends to preclude the use of recycled vinyl too as any bits of black in the mix would be rather obvious!

I rather like splattered and coloured vinyl. But then I like scratchy 45s, flexidiscs, tapes... :)

The only one I've been a bit annoyed about is a Toytronic splatter pressing that cracked after about three careful plays. I'm guessing the different colours of vinyl had different properties of some kind that caused it to be unstable. Shame as I had all three in the series and the special series carrier bag to put them in :)

I thought this cosmic Carl Sagan 7" featured in Dust and Grooves this month was quite neat!

Dust_and_Grooves_0711.jpg

I have a 10" clear vinyl John Cooper Clarke LP. I seem to remember that cueing individual tracks wasn't that easy.

Nice thing about clear vinyl is the trippy patterns the two sides of the grooves make as it spins. Woa!

Apparently a lot of early vinyl bootlegs (TMOQ) etc were pressed on see-thru coloured vinyl to prove they weren't using cheap recycled vinyl. No idea if this is why the original Japanese Beetles Odeon pressings are also on see-thru red vinyl.

It seems the new wave vinylfan likes the sleeves and the art part just as much as the music part. But I also have hand painted album covers on the wall, so why not?

DS

No probs with hand-made covers/ individualisation by band members. That's a bit of extra creativity on the part of the band that is added value. Telling the pressing plant to do the first 250 in splatter is another story.

Nice thing about clear vinyl is the trippy patterns the two sides of the grooves make as it spins. Woa!

Yeah looks like it spins forward then backward. I thought the motor had gone wrong the first time I played a clear disc. One of those clear / black marbled Basic Channel re-releases iirc.

I actually prefer white vinyl as it's easier to see specs of dust etc

Strangely, my white vinyl records seem to only collect black or dark dust where my
black records collect only white or gray dust !
I can’t say that I have any problems with my colored vinyl or picture discs.

As with most things, its variable. The only constant, IMO, is that picture discs are objects for looking at and not listening to. It's annoying that the current Iron Maiden vinyl reissues are all picture discs. I bought the first two against all hope but nope, they suffer from the usual pic disc surface noise. (Somewhat lost under the music in this case though...)

I don't see any trend with coloured vinyl sounding any better or worse than black. Splattered / marbled vinyl can be dodgy. I have a pink marbled In The Land Of Grey And Pink and a grey marbled The Hounds Of Love - both have a lot of surface noise. On the other hand, the recent MoFi pink marbled Sea Change (Beck) is totally silent.

advertisement

Back