advertisement

Avondale Speakers

Did the new ones ever materialize ?

So far as prototypes are concerned - the answer is yes.

As for production quantities - I just don't have the necessary bucks.

Future for the loudspeaker - I'm looking to negotiate with a company
already involved in the industry with a view to licensed manufacture.

So far as prototypes are concerned - the answer is yes.

As for production quantities - I just don't have the necessary bucks.

Future for the loudspeaker - I'm looking to negotiate with a company
already involved in the industry with a view to licensed manufacture.

Sounds good... Look forward to hearing these.

Your website is down at the moment Les.

I had the pleasure of hearing some prototypes, the 2 way design were particularly stunning and had me searching the room for a subwoofer that wasn't there.

About half the size of my ES14's and twice the bass, a true tardis experience ;-)

I heard some at a show (Chesterfield?) many years ago. The fact I can still remember them, and what they sounded like, suggests there were very special. I had no need for a speaker of that type then (or now) but have always felt I'd like to own a pair.
The loudspeaker market is very saturated, and making something excellent is only part of the equation. I was involved in the design and development of some small standmount speakers in the early 80's - in fact I still have a pair of the prototypes, and they still strike me as pretty amazing, but, we couldn't get the production costs low enough to sell them for less than about £600, which put us in competition with much larger speakers, so they were difficult to sell to the dealers, let alone the public.

I heard some at a show (Chesterfield?) many years ago. The fact I can still remember them, and what they sounded like, suggests there were very special. I had no need for a speaker of that type then (or now) but have always felt I'd like to own a pair.
The loudspeaker market is very saturated, and making something excellent is only part of the equation. I was involved in the design and development of some small standmount speakers in the early 80's - in fact I still have a pair of the prototypes, and they still strike me as pretty amazing, but, we couldn't get the production costs low enough to sell them for less than about £600, which put us in competition with much larger speakers, so they were difficult to sell to the dealers, let alone the public.

There seem to be a market out there, for smaller stand mount but high priced 2-way loudspeakers

Maybe a smaller batch, say 5-10 pair could be a start financing NexT line ?

Apart from the usually LS3/5 variants, Harbeth etc which sell higher than £1K, this one sell higher than £2K and seem to be succesfull according to owners:
http://www.klangedang.se/

The trouble with breaking new ground as these have done, is that the
complexity of the design is substantially expensive. For instance, the
10mm front plate alone needs as much CNC time as the new chassis
for the LP12. Add to that the moulded carbon fibre shell in sandwich
form which is quoted as costing over £200 each, then the composite
leg with the inner CF support and we end up with a speaker costing
over £1500 per pair in components alone at base level.

They would have to sell at over £5K the pair in retailers.

Performance costs big bucks I'm afraid, big bucks I don't have - sorry.

Why not build them to order only ?

Try reduce the manufacture cost by 10%

Sell direct £2500-2800 with 50% fee on order, rest during delivery

simple

I can't see it fail

Build to order means prices for things like CNC go up a lot. Typically making 100 of a thing means paying on the order of 80% less per unit than making one of a thing.

Where have you been for the last ten years.?

Well, I've spent some of that time listening to my Keeled LP12:(

I thought that you might have been referring to some as yet unreleased sub-chassis from Avondale Towers. I did have to question my sanity though after the thought arose;)

I do recall that a while ago their was talk from Avondale Towers of some major work being done to the LP12 in collaboration with a well known LP12 guru. Don't know if it went anywhere though.

advertisement

Back