advertisement

AVC or TVC control

Chris

pfm Member
A mate of mine has just said he thinks the Alps Blue volume pot is probably holding my system back. As my Sugden A21Se cannot work as a power amp only he says perhaps, as I only use one source, I could bridge and null the pot in my integrated and attenuate via an AVC fitted inside my DIY souped up phono stage.
Might he be right ?

Frankly, I doubt it. It's a very reputable pot used in much more expensive items, and the amp is engineered around it (input impedance to following stages etc)

The Sugden will work as a power amp only effectively if you open its vol control to max, and control the level of anything you feed it instead. At that point ( as at 0 volume, but thats a useless case...) the pot wiper is out of circuit.

It's easy to effect audible changes by poorly-thought-out volume control approaches; few of them will actually be improvements, IYSWIM.

Well, I must say that after fitting the 50k SMD attenuators from ebay as suggested here by Achim I am well chuffed. There is no doubt that my twin Alps Blues were responsible for a degree of "hash" at all frequencies. In my Sugden A21Se I fitted 2, one for each channel, to give me a sort of volume control, and my long standing test problem LP (Waltz for Debby by Bill Evans on Riverside, where the drums/brushwork were recorded on a bad day out in the North sea somewhere) actually sounds like brushed cymbals now. I almost dare to say that this recording now sounds like a trio pulling together rather than 3 separate instruments. For 18 euros each, it´s a no brainer.

Waltz For Debbie is a true reference recording IMO, I’m amazed anyone would cite an issue with it! I have it as the Complete Village Vanguard Sessions box and it is seldom far from one of my systems!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You´re not the first person I´ve read extolling its virtues which has amazed me likewise for the opposite reason. It must be the pressing I have. When I first played it the cymbals were undecipherable as such, just a general hissing with no texture at all which I took as brushed cymbals. I even read about the sessions themselves where it was stated it was all a very improvised recording session so I just thought the drums mic was playing up or saturating or something. Over the years I like to think my system has improved as I use it as a test recording - it´s immediately obvious if things have improved - up to the present time and my new volume controls. It´s always close to my deck too. I´ll keep an eye out for the Complete Village Vanguard boxed recordings.
Thanks

Just to add that I have fitted one of these 20k SMT pots to my Creek OBH21se phones amp too, No contest, far far cleaner than the previous alps blue. I love hash browns but not the alps’ brown hash.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back