advertisement

Audiolab 8200CDQ

Lyricman

I hve been using the USB connection to my laptop and find that the B plug into the 8200CDQ is very loose and does not push in right down to the shoulder of the connector. It seems so loose that I can move it around and it breaks up the sound. If I leave I do seem to get a constant stream with no break up. Do I have a faulty USB ports or are they supposed to be quite loose.

The USB Plug is not designed to be flush to the connector otherwise it could interfere with the external casework of some designs - and they do wiggle about...

Just tried my MDAC USB that's been operational for a couple of years - does wiggle about in all directions - but no worst then my Laser Printer...

Thanks John

Do I assume that if it streams from Laptop perfectly without any dropouts that the connection is good.

I hve been using the USB connection to my laptop and find that the B plug into the 8200CDQ is very loose and does not push in right down to the shoulder of the connector. It seems so loose that I can move it around and it breaks up the sound. If I leave I do seem to get a constant stream with no break up. Do I have a faulty USB ports or are they supposed to be quite loose.

What do you think, compared to CD direct, of the usb input ?

It is difficult to answer. I have the CDQ connected to 2 8200P power amps and to Tannoy DC6T SE and play normal CD's which sound really great and I usually play 24 Bit music from the Laptop which also sound great. I have not ripped a good quality CD to FLAC (16 Bit) and then tried to compare the CD against the FLAC. My philosophy is to enjoy the music and once it gets to an excellent standard for my ears I can't be bothered to try and chase the extra 1% that may be gained by different techniques of ripping, filters etc.
I have found that there are differences from using the Audiolab 8200CDQ USB driver and the ASIO4ALL drivers in Foobar. Different doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other. ASIO4ALL seems a bit buggy and doesn't always load because it thinks its in use by something else. In conclusion if the quality of your digital files are good then they will sound very good over USB.

Hi John

I am about to purchase new cable speakers but not sure if banana plugs can be connected to 8200CDQ. I have tried banana plugs when i first got the system but they didnt fit into the red/black sockets at the back. I have only used bare wire, unscrewed the caps and put the wires through the small joles revealed after undoing the caps.
Can you confirm, please, if banana plugs can work with 8200CDQ? If yes, how/where to connect them.

Many thanks

Hi John

I am about to purchase new cable speakers but not sure if banana plugs can be connected to 8200CDQ. I have tried banana plugs when i first got the system but they didnt fit into the red/black sockets at the back. I have only used bare wire, unscrewed the caps and put the wires through the small joles revealed after undoing the caps.
Can you confirm, please, if banana plugs can work with 8200CDQ? If yes, how/where to connect them.

Many thanks

Use RCA connectors. There are no banana sockets on the CDQ. I take it these are active speakers.

It is difficult to answer. I have the CDQ connected to 2 8200P power amps and to Tannoy DC6T SE and play normal CD's which sound really great and I usually play 24 Bit music from the Laptop which also sound great. I have not ripped a good quality CD to FLAC (16 Bit) and then tried to compare the CD against the FLAC. My philosophy is to enjoy the music and once it gets to an excellent standard for my ears I can't be bothered to try and chase the extra 1% that may be gained by different techniques of ripping, filters etc.
I have found that there are differences from using the Audiolab 8200CDQ USB driver and the ASIO4ALL drivers in Foobar. Different doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other. ASIO4ALL seems a bit buggy and doesn't always load because it thinks its in use by something else. In conclusion if the quality of your digital files are good then they will sound very good over USB.

Use RCA connectors. There are no banana sockets on the CDQ. I take it these are active speakers.

hi. Many thanks. Sorry, i was confused. My system is Audiolab 8200CDQ with 2 x 8200M power amps going to 2 x Wharfedale Jade 5.
What i was trying to say was if i can connect banana plugs to 8200M power amp. Tried but the holes seem too small. Is only the bare wire working, going through some holes located on the thread, revealed after undoing the red/black caps.
I shouldnt have posted this on your tread as it is not actually related to 8200CDQ. Otherwise i am very happy with the whole system. And 8200CDQ is a masterpiece. Mine works just excellent for me. I have also got a pair of Spendor A5 and trying to build a second system in the attic. As i didnt buy an amp and source for them i gave them a try with the present system as above. Even if the Spendors are considered a bit more atistocratic and worth of better source an amplification (in other words “more expensive”) i can tell you that my Audiolab lives up to any expectation. Sweet, musical, fast and articulate. Also the amps are driving them with ease without breaking a sweat. I am.sure there are better systems out there but for anyone thinking if Audiolab 8200CDQ is good enough for Spendors the answer is “yes“.
Cheers and sorry for deviation. I would appreciate an answer to my problem though.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom