advertisement

Audio Technica VM 750SH any users ? .

AT charge a lot for their SLC Special Line Contact compared to ML. Is there any good reason?
A-T do appear to hold this tip in high regard, as it is also employed in ART7, ART9 and the TOTL ART1000, albeit with solid boron cantilevers on those models.

From what I gather, SLC is a modern take on Ogaru Vital with nude rectangular shank diamond. The rectangular shank reduces effective tip mass relative to nude square shank (such as A-T's Shibata). Square and rectangular shank styli are more expensive to produce than round (and much easier to align within the cantilever), however, the cartridge maker's are likely cashing in on the still relatively new über-low mass rectangular ones.

Well a VM750SH arrived this morning and very nice it is too. Only a couple of hours in but it sounds very nice.

I wish AT would use captive nuts though, alignment is a real pain in the backside.

According to Noel Keywood ( Hi-Fi World feb 18 ), the SLC version has a slightly higher treble output which adds more emphasis to the treble, bite if you will.
No tech info on the Special Line Contact styli in the article. All 3 cartridges were reportedly outstanding for their tracking and distortion abilities.

That’s been my problem. The best part of £400 for a bit of treble bite seems a lot.

Something I've learned is that spending a lot on a cartridge when your turntable can still be improved is not cost effective or the best road to performance. A cheaper cart on a better deck will outperform a better cart on a cheaper deck. And it's cheaper in the long run as replacing the cart will cost less.

With the AT MM you’re paying that money to get from a micro line to special line contact stylus. In my LP12 days it was always TT > Arm > Cart. Apart from occasional messing about, I’ve stuck with it. I would like to try a Well Tempered Simplex with a DV XV1 on it though.

That’s been my problem. The best part of £400 for a bit of treble bite seems a lot.

If it turns out the extra bite makes you want to listen to your music more the its a bargain. The prices, for example amplifiers, To get a similar uplift, may cost a lot more. As always it’s the OP’s taste that’s the clincher, hopefully having heard other cartridges - sadly harder to do nowadays.

Absolutely. Fortunately I don’t need treble bite so can probably stick with ML styli. I would however really like to know what else the SLC might bring to the party but as you say, short of buying one, it’s very difficult to find out.

Same here, I got an end of line 150mlx with Ml tip and boron cantilever, fab cartridge, doubt I’d go back up to an MC now.

Same here, I got an end of line 150mlx with Ml tip and boron cantilever, fab cartridge, doubt I’d go back up to an MC now.

This is interesting as it's a decision I'm trying to make. Right not I'm enjoying an old LInn K9 on my RP10, it amazingly appears not to have a worn out stylus, but do I try another AT moving magnet or would I get more out of a coil. I genuinely do not know.

Perhaps buy an AT MM and MC on Amazon and send back the one you like least. There’s an upfront cost obvs but otherwise risk free.

It's time for a new needle and I'm considering one of these . Anyone use one and care to comment on it ? .
Yep... Bought one while on holiday in Japan, at the end of 2018 (Price was AU$200 cheaper than buying locally, here in OZ).
Using it on my Kuzma Stogi S12 VTA arm and Feickert Woodpecker T/T, Graham Slee Accession MM phono stage, Burson Audio Pre Power and Maggie 1.7s. Sounds really good to me.
Clean, clear and punchy. Good with the Electronic music, pop and rock that I mainly listen to...

Agree with one of the other posters... the open fixing ears are a PITA when installing but, from now on, all I'll really need to do is switch the stylus...
Really happy with the purchase, as I am with the purchase of the Accession early last year...

advertisement

Back