advertisement

Audio Deluxe show march 23/24th

Did a couple of hours today.

Why do Audio Note insist on such a small room with 3 chairs. I failed to get a seat on 3 separate visits.

I thought the Dali/ Luxman room was worthy of a mention at semi-real world prices compared to a lot of other rooms.

But that Boyer system (with the standmounts) sounded sublime, and at those prices it should be.

fab , i was walking by the Montreaux festival venue recently and remembered that fantastic album from monty

the Boyer system seems to have been a hit being mentioned a lot of times in threads on audio delux show

I thought the Chasing the Dragon demonstration of the results of different recording processes was the highlight (although I also really enjoyed Antonio Forcione playing guitar in the adjacent room as well).

Maybe that's because the demo played strongly to my personal experience (or is that prejudice) that for any good enough home audio system what I hear is mostly determined by the quality of the recording I am playing. The Sonus Faber Stradivari G2 (I think) loudspeakers used for the demo in the Symmetry Systems room, driven by Brinkmann mono amplifiers, qualified as (more than) good enough IMHO.

In some other rooms I thought the source material chosen was rather variable in quality (although maybe I didn't wait around long enough). I thought the source material was good and corresponded to sytems that did a good job in these rooms: Dali/Luxman (Dali 'speakers), Kama AV (Perlisten 'speakers and subwoofer), Auden (Egglestonworks 'speakers), Boyer (Krome 'speakers), Kef.

Did a couple of hours today.

Why do Audio Note insist on such a small room with 3 chairs. I failed to get a seat on 3 separate visits.

I thought the Dali/ Luxman room was worthy of a mention at semi-real world prices compared to a lot of other rooms.

But that Boyer system (with the standmounts) sounded sublime, and at those prices it should be.
Agreed Boyer room was the standout presentation. Astonishing bass for a standmount half way into the demo room. Was it the Wadax or the Engstrom valve amps? Easily beat the £1 million system in my view.

Lots of brands I've never heard of, which is generally an indicator of unaffordability for me.
Audio Physic, which I have owned, seems an incongruous partner for Cyrus. Anyone manage a listen and, if so, how was the sound?
Thanks

Lots of brands I've never heard of, which is generally an indicator of unaffordability for me.
Audio Physic, which I have owned, seems an incongruous partner for Cyrus. Anyone manage a listen and, if so, how was the sound?
Thanks
I’ve heard Audio Physic partner Cyrus at Bristol several times. Never left a lasting impression. I suspect that’s the Cyrus rather than the speakers though.

We went yesterday, the Boyer room was superb. First off we heard the integrated amp with the Kroma stand mounts, I've never heard sound staging like it, depth and width were phenomenal, and sheer all round musicality. Of course we had to ask when the floorstanders were to be re-introduced, 30 minutes was the reply so back we went. The sound was still excellent and better than 95% of anything else we have heard but not quite the same as our original visit. How much of this excellent sound was down to individual components I don't know but I suspect the Wadax more than played their part.
Other notable rooms, Blackwood (never heard of this brand before from Croatia) demo'ed their full system including speakers (active but with the amplifiers in a separate case outside the speakers, dsp and streamer). Very easy to listen to but at a cost of 100k euros not cheap. Another set of speakers in the room had the amps inside them, we didn't hear these but would cost 45k euros so obviously different budget levels.

Connecting Music - Enjoyed this room using Mastersound 845 integrated and Sonus Faber Maxima Amator.
Absolute Sounds had a smaller room with DeVore Orangutan's with a Trafomatic Rhapsody amp (£20k 😲 ), quite enjoyed these especially after walking out of another Absolute Sounds dem. (see below)

The worst sound for both of us was the demonstration of the D'Agostino amp with Wilson Sacha V, seriously we couldn't wait to exit that room the sound was so bad.

Finally, how to upset someone without really trying, talk to the gentleman representing D'Agostino and tell him you think Audio Research are a great match with Wilson speakers. 😁

Nearly forgot, not being a headphone user much, but we did get to hear two pairs of Dan Clark headphones in the Electromod room. They were simply the most comfortable phones we have ever tried, but at £2k and 4K it would be seriously over kill for the amount of use they would get.

I had a cracking day yesterday. Agreed with @Hound and @karlsushi re Boyer room which was outstanding.

I thought the Audio Group Denmark room would be all cable lifters and stuff but it sounded really good when I was in there.

Third room worth a shout-out was for me the Blackwood room which had a sound I could enjoy all day and that's not imply it was laid back, it was just "normal": good normal!

Did the Absolute Sounds demo with dCS Rossini into D'Agostino amp into Wilson Audio Sacha V all hooked up via Transparent audio wires. It was good to put a face to the name of Phil Harris at dCS; the guy whose spiel I enjoyed most was actually the Transparent Audio guiy who used to be an opera singer. Authentic music enthusiast with a nice touch of personal warmth. The sound? Disappointing! It seemed tizzy/forward at the top end and the bass was all over the place. I'm not sure it did any of the brands any favours...

Weird design misstep of the room (show?) goes to the D'Agostino Momentum amp: what on earth were they thinking?! Yep, the power supply is in the lower box. At first glance I thought it was a badly sized support platform...

d-agostino-momentum-1.png

d-agostino-momentum-rear-1.png

Thanks
The Cyrus/A Physic system was at Bristol, sounded good.

We went yesterday, the Boyer room was superb. First off we heard the integrated amp with the Kroma stand mounts, I've never heard sound staging like it, depth and width were phenomenal, and sheer all round musicality. Of course we had to ask when the floorstanders were to be re-introduced, 30 minutes was the reply so back we went. The sound was still excellent and better than 95% of anything else we have heard but not quite the same as our original visit. How much of this excellent sound was down to individual components I don't know but I suspect the Wadax more than played their part.
Other notable rooms, Blackwood (never heard of this brand before from Croatia) demo'ed their full system including speakers (active but with the amplifiers in a separate case outside the speakers, dsp and streamer). Very easy to listen to but at a cost of 100k euros not cheap. Another set of speakers in the room had the amps inside them, we didn't hear these but would cost 45k euros so obviously different budget levels.

Connecting Music - Enjoyed this room using Mastersound 845 integrated and Sonus Faber Maxima Amator.
Absolute Sounds had a smaller room with DeVore Orangutan's with a Trafomatic Rhapsody amp (£20k 😲 ), quite enjoyed these especially after walking out of another Absolute Sounds dem. (see below)

The worst sound for both of us was the demonstration of the D'Agostino amp with Wilson Sacha V, seriously we couldn't wait to exit that room the sound was so bad.

Finally, how to upset someone without really trying, talk to the gentleman representing D'Agostino and tell him you think Audio Research are a great match with Wilson speakers. 😁

Nearly forgot, not being a headphone user much, but we did get to hear two pairs of Dan Clark headphones in the Electromod room. They were simply the most comfortable phones we have ever tried, but at £2k and 4K it would be seriously over kill for the amount of use they would get.
There was so much bass boom from the Sasha V. Presentation lacked coherency. We put it down to poor speaker placement but with all the tape on the floor (that hadn't been removed) indicates some work went into speaker location.

Hear hear to the Boyer Room. The absolute pinnacle of audio reproduction. We often talk about hifi being personal preference, but I can't imagine anyone not sensing that this was as good (and enjoyable) as it gets. The sound from that system transcended subjective descriptions. It was simply accurate audio reproduction of the highest order, presented through a microscope.

People who say audio hasn't improved much over the past 70 years, need to hear that system.

But look away now cable cynics...it seems the best system on earth uses some very expensive cables (e.g the £25k Shunyata Omega speaker cables - which incidentally cost a grand more than the speakers they were plugged into!). In fact, I asked Mr Engström himself how much of that sound was down to the cables and in his words, "they make a big difference". Would love to have heard the difference that swapping in some Van Damn cables or something, would have made to the sound.

Also, a serious number of boxes thrown into power management and some very expensive power cables too!! Damn.

The one that will please many though, is that it also turns out that the best amps money can buy, use valves from front to back, including in the power supplies (as if we didn't already know ;) )

Boyer Room aside though, it was a great show and hats off also to the Audio Group Denmark chaps who let us have a Saturday night disco on their £1.3m system.

Agreed Boyer room was the standout presentation. Astonishing bass for a standmount half way into the demo room. Was it the Wadax or the Engstrom valve amps? Easily beat the £1 million system in my view.
Sounded "wrong" to me, like the bass was detached somehow, like it was coming from a less then perfectly integrated subwoofer.

The muons were at the show, being played too loud.

Didn't rate the boyer room for the money, blackwood audio pyrimidal actives at £40k did it for 1/10th of the price.

The brinkman serbelin combo in Mike V's room was also very good.

Sounded "wrong" to me, like the bass was detached somehow, like it was coming from a less then perfectly integrated subwoofer.
I did talk to the gentleman who was in the room and asked him if ever he had tried Townshend supports for his speakers? He replied he knew of their products but preferred spikes. :rolleyes:
Could that be why I preferred the stand mounts?

I did talk to the gentleman who was in the room and asked him if ever he had tried Townshend supports for his speakers? He replied he knew of their products but preferred spikes. :rolleyes:
Could that be why I preferred the stand mounts?
No idea, but the placement of the speakers won't be giving a real world idea of what they're going to sound like in any normal listening space - nobody puts their speakers in the middle of the room!

The soundstage in the boyer room was just room size, speaker width and polar response, even intimate stuff sounded crazy wide, artificial

The soundstage in the boyer room was just room size, speaker width and polar response, even intimate stuff sounded crazy wide, artificial
I wondered that, but was that information on the recording and is it possible using this system, it is the first time you have ever heard it?

advertisement

Back