advertisement

Audial Model S DAC

On the remote thing - my DAC has three and soon to be four inputs, it’s effectively a digital pre-amp…unfortunately not removing the need for an analogue pre-amp, as switching back from my dCS Puccini/Delius recently showed when I re-introduced the Croft Mega 😂😜

One wonders why he's selling after 3 hours use but be that as it may, mine took a lot longer than 3 hours to reach its peak and sounded pretty mechanical up to that point. I'm still not sure whether it's better or not than my own version TDA1541 DAC with tube output stage. They both sound marvellous with some subtle differences and I happily listen to both. My own version has built in analogue remote volume control which is useful when I'm testing power amps. My objectives of having a great-sounding reference DAC (reference as in never gets modded or touched unlike my own builds :) ) have been totally achieved and I highly recommedn it as wonderful well-built DAC

One wonders why he's selling after 3 hours use but be that as it may, mine took a lot longer than 3 hours to reach its peak and sounded pretty mechanical up to that point. I'm still not sure whether it's better or not than my own version TDA1541 DAC with tube output stage. They both sound marvellous with some subtle differences and I happily listen to both. My own version has built in analogue remote volume control which is useful when I'm testing power amps. My objectives of having a great-sounding reference DAC (reference as in never gets modded or touched unlike my own builds :) ) have been totally achieved and I highly recommedn it as wonderful well-built DAC
Mine is coming on the 13th of May. Three hours is not long but then some people make decisions very quickly.

Almost one week with the S5b and it has been growing on me incredibly quickly. Things started a little bumpy with the dac being delivered to the wrong address by FedEx. A panel beaters business who accepted the package. Thankfully my wife recalled that there is a street with the same first five letters. The panel beaters were great about releasing it to my wife rather than having to go through fedex.

I use a Linux based Volumio system which had no issues mating with the S5b. It’s fair to say that there is an initial adjustment period to the dac bit after about 10 hours it really began to open up.
At the 20 hour mark it is sounding superb, beautiful tone and a highly musical, engaging and enjoyable dac. This is the best my digital has sounded.

So far I have used the usb and coax with both being excellent.

This is a wonderful dac and Pedja has been a pleasure to deal with.

I agree, unless it is the dreaded Ikea. When it comes to manuals I use them as a last resort. 😁

Mine has a switch. Something like pll on or off . I'm not near it so can't see it. I don't really use BNC. Tried it once and it was not as good as usb but didn't move the switch as Innuos is maxed for USB

Mine has a switch. Something like pll on or off . I'm not near it so can't see it. I don't really use BNC. Tried it once and it was not as good as usb but didn't move the switch as Innuos is maxed for USB
Thanks, mine has a switch as well. I’ll have to look into it next week.

What setting are you using of the two options for coax input?
I'm using default. From the manual;

S/PDIF receiver uses a PLL to lock to the source, and thus retrieve the sampling clock from it, and it can lock either to the S/PDIF data or the preamble. The PLL mode switch is located at the back plate. The change of PLL mode requires a reset to take effect. This is achieved by turning the DAC off, and waiting for at least 10 seconds, before powering it on again.

I use my S4 spdif from a CD transport, or usb from an Eversolo streamer, to either a Leak Stereo 20 or active Genelecs. Seems equally at home in any configuration.

As I’ve said before, if this was sold via a distributor and dealer network it would cost around £6k, and still be worth it.

I use my S4 spdif from a CD transport, or usb from an Eversolo streamer, to either a Leak Stereo 20 or active Genelecs. Seems equally at home in any configuration.

As I’ve said before, if this was sold via a distributor and dealer network it would cost around £6k, and still be worth it.
I can’t stop listening to mine. This is the best Dac I have owned and most likely will be my last dac. There is something so captivating and engaging. I Have owned a few good Dacs but this is my favourite so far.

Listening to Nick Cave & Warren Ellis White Lunar - Song for Bob and it’s stunning, very emotional and captivating.

I can’t stop listening to mine. This is the best Dac I have owned and most likely will be my last dac. There is something so captivating and engaging. I Have owned a few good Dacs but this is my favourite so far.

Listening to Nick Cave & Warren Ellis White Lunar - Song for Bob and it’s stunning, very emotional and captivating.
+1 to the above. The tda1541 has a very certain magic. The only comparable DAC for me is the DDDAC NOS based one. Not sure if it's better just slightly different.

Do those who appreciate the TDA1541 listen mainly to one particular kind of music? Or are its benign properties universally applicable?

To put it another way: will the specialness, the "magic", be there for one who listens to large-scale classical music?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom