advertisement

ATC SCM19A vs SCM20ASL Pro ?

Allan Probin

pfm Member
Any opinions on the performance of these two similarly priced 'speakers when used in a normal domestic environment at typical medium/moderate volumes.

Physical differences I can see are:

The SCM20 Pro's have the "S" spec tweeter, I see it has a more powerful magnet assembly and therefore has better sensitivity, but is there much noticeable audible difference between this and the standard tweeter?

The SCM20 Pro's have 250W+50W power-amps, vs 150W+35W in the 19A's. Will this assist with peak musical content, even at moderate volume? Will the bigger amps help with grip and control at the bottom end?

An SCM20 Pro weighs about the same as an SCM19 tower. As both speakers, for all intents and purposes, use the same drive units, and I doubt the more powerful amps in the 20's add that much additional weight compared to the 19's amps, so it seems likely that the SCM20 cabinet construction is heavier, stiffer and better damped than the 19's.

I think I'm talking myself around into believing that the SCM20 Pro's should sound better, but is that borne out by the actual listening?

I’ve compared the passive versions of both and the s spec tweeter is slightly ahead in terms if sweetness. The studio 20 sounded a bit more sophisticated than the 19, but in the interest of domestic harmony I bought the 19 and never regretted it....

The 20s have a bass level control which might be helpful, and you have a bit more freedom over their height since you get stands to suit... not heard either though.

Looking at atc website the 20asl is in an aluminium cab which will be the biggest difference in sound I expect..

Looking at atc website the 20asl is in an aluminium cab which will be the biggest difference in sound I expect..

I think that’s a typo - the earlier version was aluminium and curved but the Mk2 is wood - they’ve just left the description of the old cabinet on the webpage.

Ah I see. I’d love to hear the active as the 20 was a more grown up version of the 19 passive if you get my meaning- a bit more sophisticated in the treble. Both very excellent spkrs tho.

Cosmetically, I think the 19A's look quite restrained, elegant even, and "room friendly". The 20 Pro's, well ... less so! Even less so if placed on sturdy industrial looking stands, as would be needed with speakers weighing 30kg each! If the performance difference is subtle, at best, when not driven particularly hard, I'd definitely be leaning towards a pair of 19A's. But would go for the 20's if the performance difference justified it.

advertisement

Back