advertisement

Armageddon question

jimbot2.0

pfm Member
Hi all,

I’ve realised that the Heed Orbit 2 i had been using on my Townshend Rock II has been feeding loads of crap into the mains, or at least is not playing nicely with my NAC52 /PS.

Looking at other options for a PSU for a premotec motor led me to an armageddon. Would this just be a case of attaching the Rock’s mains cable to the Armageddon or would some tinkering with the Rock also be required? I’ve noticed that Armageddons have a circuit board on the end, presumably this is LP12 specific, can this be done away with if using on a Rock?

ta

Jim

The Armageddon has the phase shift cap and dropping resistor for the second winding in the case. On the LP12 you remove the Linn board from inside the LP12 - I guess you could do the same on the Rock or even remove the circuit from the Armageddon and connect the Rock to the Armageddon as if you were just feeding from the mains.

When I built a 'Geddon clone for my brother's Rock3 we stuck the phases shift gubbins in the clone case, and ran a dedicated 3-wire line to the Rock motor. This allowed easy fiddling with R/C values to get least vibration.

But easier, and probably less confusing to anyone else, is to just use the transformer as an isolation device as MartinC suggests above.

(& after a decade or so of that, ironically my bro then reinstated things and has since moved to the Heed unit in preference!)

Thanks both! i’ll give that a try.

I do find the 33/45 of the Heed pretty handy. Perhaps I need to stash it away and come back to it once i’ve found a way of isolating it from the Naim bits

I discovered my Lingo 1 had an adverse effect on my Naim system when I got my CDS. After a time unplugging it when listening to CDs I eventually built a mains filter box that filtered the mains to the Lingo, and a separate feed filtered fed the rest of the system, and that worked very well, and despite dire warnings the mains filter units I was using didn't affect the main system. I also eliminated as many SMPSUs as I could and it worked much better. Eventually I built a filtered hydra with multiple filtered supplies. However post-Naim it didn't seem to do anything and took up space so it's in the loft somewhere now. So, isolating your Heed may be an alternative solution. Eventually I sold the Lingo, built a Armageddon clone, and then finally a Meldano TTPSU and a Project 24v motor.

Cheers Jem, i’d assumed filters would also degrade the sound... will investigate!

anyone know of a commercial mains filter offering that doesn’t harm Naim preamp dynamics?

I discovered my Lingo 1 had an adverse effect on my Naim system when I got my CDS.
Many, many years ago @Andrew L Weekes I think it was commented on this somewhere on PFM and set out instructions on how to hack the Lingo 1 to avoid this. ISTR it involved taking a hacksaw to the IEC inlet of the Lingo 1 and expunging it of the epoxied components that were responsible for the interference.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom