advertisement

Are we getting pissed off with the BBC

> Are we getting pissed off with the BBC?

Disappointed with the decline and concerned about how far it will go. It is the only media service I currently pay for and consider it good value for money. 30+ years ago I would have said excellent value for money and something the country could take pride in.

I suspect a healthy long term future for the BBC will rely on "the man in the street" reacting against the way our society is currently evolving and returning to placing more value on a shared infrastructure. Not much of sign of this at the moment but perhaps it may be on the other side of the bad times that are coming for many in the UK as more and more that has been relied upon in the past starts failing or disappearing.

A lot of what I dislike about the BBC could be sorted if somebody could give News & Current Affairs a thorough grounding in the difference between bias, balance, and equality. If there are two viewpoints and one is supported by evidence and rational thinking whereas the other is batshit, 'balance' doesn't require equal airtime for both; 'balance' doesn't even require you to give the batshit views the time of day.

And then, after that, their editorial approach needs to grow a pair.

including nonsensical climate change alarmism

Really??? Climate change isn't happening? - It is, just about, the ONLY thing the human race should be focusing on currently.

If you had say £98billion available (the latest projected cost for HS2) would you spend it on:-

a) HS2 or

b) improved flood defences (or an alternate solution) for London?

The BBC do need got do something about the level at which such as the regular news is pitched......

Regards

Richard

The only complaint I have for BBC is their i player. Often when watching a programme the streaming freezes, so we have switch off power supply, wait for approx 30 seconds seconds then switch on, watch the programme until the same problem comes around, its so frustrating, especially as streaming is suppose to be new advanced technology...? However opposite experience is watching Netflix via Amazon Prime Firefox 4K, no problem at all, now why BBC iplayer cannot provide the same exemplary service (considering its a main national media body?).

Really??? Climate change isn't happening? - It is, just about, the ONLY thing the human race should be focusing on currently.

If you had say £98billion available (the latest projected cost for HS2) would you spend it on:-

a) HS2 or

b) improved flood defences (or an alternate solution) for London?

The BBC do need got do something about the level at which such as the regular news is pitched......

Regards

Richard

This is exactly what I was thinking.

A lot of what I dislike about the BBC could be sorted if somebody could give News & Current Affairs a thorough grounding in the difference between bias, balance, and equality. If there are two viewpoints and one is supported by evidence and rational thinking whereas the other is batshit, 'balance' doesn't require equal airtime for both; 'balance' doesn't even require you to give the batshit views the time of day.

And then, after that, their editorial approach needs to grow a pair.

In particular, could they wipe Farage's phone number from the organisation?

I am not going to make a list of what I don't care for about the BBC, but a clue may be found in the observation that I gave up on it eighteen years ago.
I wouldn't be able to make a list either, if I hadn't seen any BBC output for 18 years.

The only complaint I have for BBC is their i player. Often when watching a programme the streaming freezes, so we have switch off power supply, wait for approx 30 seconds seconds then switch on, watch the programme until the same problem comes around, its so frustrating, especially as streaming is suppose to be new advanced technology...? However opposite experience is watching Netflix via Amazon Prime Firefox 4K, no problem at all, now why BBC iplayer cannot provide the same exemplary service (considering its a main national media body?).

Something wrong there, are you getting genuine 4k?

iPlayer streams ok for us but YouTube can be a touch flakey.

The necessity to restart sounds like a more local problem.

I wish BBC reporters would stop asking hospital patients on breathing machines how serious a desease is covid.
The answer is bleedin' obvious!

We would get much better value if they got rid of some of the 250 correspondents, starting with Laura Miseryberg!

I think I've seen a paint drying correspondent, but maybe I made that one up.

I wish BBC reporters would stop asking hospital patients on breathing machines how serious a desease is covid.
The answer is bleedin' obvious!

I think the point is to make it obvious to the morons who think it’s like getting a cold that it isn’t.

I didn’t mean that.
I meant what I said.
All BBC tv output can be watched free in France via a sky (or any satellite box) and a dish pointing at the right satellite.
Then you don’t need iPlayer.

I afraid that went out the window in Mallorca about 7 or 8 years ago when it became necessary to have a 2 metre dish, and even that wasn’t a guarantee at some times of the year.

In general, people are getting disenchanted with the BBC. Including their staff - the latest big name to leave them is Graham Norton, their highest paid star. It's mainly because of their bias which goes against their charter. They are constantly pushing a left-wing agenda, including nonsensical climate change alarmism, and their pro-EU bias is staggering - apparently the BBC senior management of the time couldn't believe the majority of the proletariat had the temerity (or good sense) to vote to leave. This is illustrated by the audience of Question Time (which never has equal numbers of panelists with opposing views, always a majority in favour of the BBC agenda) falling from 8.3 million on 22 Oct 2009
to 0.7 million on 19 Nov 2020.

Having said that, the BBC has shown some good stuff recently. 'The Repair Shop' is well worth watching, the comedy series 'Ghosts' is excellent and very clever, and their football and snooker coverage is usually worth watching (despite Gary Lineker). Most of the rest I wouldn't bother with, especially the news.

What a scumbag!

I afraid that went out the window in Mallorca about 7 or 8 years ago when it became necessary to have a 2 metre dish, and even that wasn’t a guarantee at some times of the year.
Fair enough. And a splendidly rock’n’roll way of dealing with the issue, if I may say so.

advertisement

Back