advertisement

Architecture thread

The Dome of the Rock in the old city of Jerusalem, Israel

DSC02410copy.jpg

Jay Pritzker Pavilion (Frank Gehry architect), Millennium Park, Chicago.

Nerd info on the building in the background of upper shot (Aon Centre) from skyscraperpage.com:

"The original marble cladding of Aon Centre bowed under the temperature swings experienced in the Chicago climate. The cladding was 32mm (1.25") thick Itallian Carrera Marble (similar to what Michaelangelo used), but 20 years after original construction it had severly deteriorated. The marble was replaced with 51mm (2") thick Mt. Airy Granite at a cost of $80M between 1990 and 1992 (43,000 individual 1.27m x 1.14m [50" x 45"] panels). The original construction cost in 1973 was a mere $120M"

From www.chicagotraveler.com "The AON Center (previously known as the Amoco Building) was designed by Perkins & Will and Edward Stone... Aon Center was known for a long time as the Amoco Building and before that as the Standard Oil Building (or affectionately as "Big Stan")."

One of 10 major architectural failures on cnbc - http://www.cnbc.com/id/44231749/10_Major_Architectural_Failures

Marina City, Chicago, architect Bertrand Goldberg, completed in 1964.

Aqua, Chicago, architect Jeanne Gang, completed 2010.

Great pic, and an iconic building.
Thanks - I was told Goldberg worked as a student of Mies van der Rohe before going out on his own. I believe the building on the right is a Mies - I wonder what he thought of his ex-pupil's work going up next to his.

Been spending a bit of time in Naples I see. Lovely shots of the Galleria (and of black & white Pompeii on the PAW thread). Despite what many think, it's a actually a rather pleasant city, with a lot to see if you're into history. Happy trails!

-Richard

Thanks, Richard!

There is so much to see in Naples, churches, piazzas, museums, palaces, castles.... the Roman ruins of Pompeii, Herculaneum and Stabiae, not to mention the surrounding islands like the beautiful Capri and Ischia. Besides that, the Neapolitan cuisine is excellent, especially its pizza. The Neapolitan coffee, pastry and ice cream (gelato) are very good too. My wife loves the limoncello (lemon liqueur) there as well.

Nice Cliff. If you get a chance, go out to Skogskyrkogården (World Heritage SIght). The pavilion there is by Gunnar Asplund, who also did the Stockholm public library (worth a visit).

yeah, nice one Dan, it's a fantastic open space and woodland, and the chapels and visitor centre are great. You'd never expect a cemetery to be like that in the UK

advertisement

Back