advertisement

Arcam rDac

nbaptista

pfm Member
Is it a step up from DacMagic? I know is asynchronous, that´s a good thing!
I´m hearing the rDac next month, but I would like some feedback from owners. The reviews says that USB input is just fine, which is ok for me, as I want to use the PC as source!

The USB input is by far the best way of connecting a pc/laptop,you can improve matters further with a decent lead(I use Chords new lead) and for the ultimate tweak,a better power supply can be fitted,Maplins sell these,as do a few other companies.
For what its worth, WHF has just tested the improved Dacmagic Plus and deemed it an improvement but interestingly still INFERIOR in performance to the R-Dac.
It remains a good choice though with the superior 24/384 upsampler,digital pre and headphone amp which is good value for £350.00.
Regards
Steve

I bought an rDac and a Dacmagic with the intention of keeping just one. It didn't take long to pick the Dacmagic.
The rdac was OK but even the USB input on the Dacmagic was just plainly a better prouct - even when comparing the USB inputs.
I couldn't believe the Dacmagic was 80 quid cheaper than the Arcam!

A Teddy Pardo psu is supposed to do wonders for the rDac but it takes it into the £500 bracket.

A Teddy Pardo psu is supposed to do wonders for the rDac but it takes it into the £500 bracket.

Has anyone tried this? I have an rDac which seems fine to me but I have been considering the Teddy Pardo psu to see if it makes a difference.

Quote from a user on the CA forum
My first impressions of the rDAC were not so good, compared to my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC it seemed bright, fatiguing and lacked detail.
Quality was particularly bad using Voyage MPD from an Asus eee netbook (but mostly the fault of the netbook).
I tried a minor wallwart upgrade from Maplins (no appreciable difference) and later got a Teddy rDAC PS.
The TeddyPardo powersupply totally transformed its performance. Bass was more clearly defined and precise, sound staging improved.
This (or an equivulant power supply) upgrade would noticeably increase the cost but even at the 500GBP mark, I am still happy with the price/performance ratio.
As I type, I am listening to the rDAC with a Musical Fidelity M1 CDT transport as source (connected via coax) and the sound (to my ears) is as good if not better than listening to the same files via USB.

I borrowed an rDac on dem for a long weekend and compared to a Firestone Spitfire. This is through fairly revealing Arcam A32 into PMC DB1+. The rDac was, on some tracks, more appealing sounding, yet on others it seemed to mask some details and was just overly smooth or veiled. Not ridiculous-turn-that-crap-off in either case, but enough that you'd say they both had their merits. The Spitfire's about £250 and I've kept it for now.

Frustrating that you perhaps need to step nearer the £500 mark to get the next level of performance then. Unless there are any lower cost suggestions?

It seems to me that DACs are evolving rapidly with new models sounding better than previous models in rapid succession. Add a power supply here, add a magic metal USB lead there and audio nirvana awaits. The underlying reason is, in my view, that there is a very rapid rise in digital music (of which I am a part) and manufacturers are fighting for share of a growing market. Why spin a disc every time you want to play it? Spin it once, get the bits right then play the file in the future. Anyway I have the RDAC powered by a super teddy regulator and it is very good; no doubt other DACs are better but the STR (on a DIY basis) is a good upgrade. More money will buy better and waiting will get you better, your call.

The maplins power supply in question is around £20,the exact model no can be found in the Arcam dac folder over on AV forums.

I also heard the rDAC against the Musical Fidelity M1. The rDAC sounded poor, bright and grainy like an old cheap CD player. It wasn't at all involving either.

Andrew

advertisement

Back