advertisement

Arcam Delta 250 CD Transport

A mate of mine has a couple of these and uses it with the Arcam black box. Sounds fine to me. It has a sync lead that goes between the two to stop jitter I guess?

A mate of mine has a couple of these and uses it with the Arcam black box. Sounds fine to me. It has a sync lead that goes between the two to stop jitter I guess?
In the event that I acquire one I would be partnering it with a Rega Dac-R.

I cant really hear any difference when the sync lead is removed? How much do the Arcam go for on ebay?

The Cambridge Audio CXC transport is a great buy secondhand - I have this.

I had the Karik/Numerik and when sync lead was removed performance became un-focused and lost involvement
The sync meant anything for that combo imo

The Arcam sync will only match Arcam dacs to my knowledge

I have the CXC currently into another dac and beside its flimsy plastic drawer and fixed stand-by, its quite good value, I'd choose it over an old and perhaps not serviceable Arcam.
Not sure I would choose it over say an Apollo/R used as transport into Dac/R

I cant really hear any difference when the sync lead is removed? How much do the Arcam go for on ebay?

The Cambridge Audio CXC transport is a great buy secondhand - I have this.
I'm struggling to find one that's been sold on ebay in the last year but there's one on offer at the moment for about £150.
The last couple of CXC's have gone for around £260 - I wouldn't be prepared to pay that when a new one costs £299!

If you can get a new CXC then it makes sense to do so. I had imagined the Arcam would be under £100; given its age then I wouldn’t pay anymore than a £100.

Ive had the £2k plus Cyrus cdxt se / psx-r combo and thought there not much difference between that and the CXC.

I had the Karik/Numerik and when sync lead was removed performance became un-focused and lost involvement
The sync meant anything for that combo imo

The Arcam sync will only match Arcam dacs to my knowledge

I have the CXC currently into another dac and beside its flimsy plastic drawer and fixed stand-by, its quite good value, I'd choose it over an old and perhaps not serviceable Arcam.
Not sure I would choose it over say an Apollo/R used as transport into Dac/R
You make a valid point regarding the Arcam being 'not serviceable' particuarly as I reside in France.
If I'm honest I've probably been drawn to the 250 as my amp is a Delta 290 which I'm more than happy with.

I'm struggling to find one that's been sold on ebay in the last year but there's one on offer at the moment for about £150.
The last couple of CXC's have gone for around £260 - I wouldn't be prepared to pay that when a new one costs £299!
To be honest I'm struggling to find anyone who has a bad word to say about the CXC.

In the event that I acquire one I would be partnering it with a Rega Dac-R.

In case you not yet own the Dac/R, and not intend to use it with a computer, then a used earlier version Rega Dac would be similar performance, and a single Apollo/R cd player not that far off, guessing the amp not that revealing

I had one of these years ago. It was pretty good. Played anything, pretty solidly put together. I ran it with a Black Box, and it was a very nice player. I'm not a massive believer in the importance of the transport though. I'd be a little wary of anything of this age, because CD mechanisms don't last for ever.

In case you not yet own the Dac/R, and not intend to use it with a computer, then a used earlier version Rega Dac would be similar performance, and a single Apollo/R cd player not that far off, guessing the amp not that revealing
I've had a Dac-R for about a year now and use it mostly via usb with flac files.It sounds good but there is a noticeable improvement when I connect my old Rotel CD player to the Dac and play CD's.

I had one of these years ago. It was pretty good. Played anything, pretty solidly put together. I ran it with a Black Box, and it was a very nice player. I'm not a massive believer in the importance of the transport though. I'd be a little wary of anything of this age, because CD mechanisms don't last for ever.
I think I'm slowly but surely being put off the 250.

If by being old that makes the amp 'not that revealing' then you may be right.
My bet is this amp would give any modern amp under a grand a run for its money.
A few months ago I had the input selector switch completely refurbished and at the same time the amp was serviced and is now singing like a bird!

http://www.amprepairservices.co.uk/arcam/4583540896

If by being old that makes the amp 'not that revealing' then you may be right.
My bet is this amp would give any modern amp under a grand a run for its money.
A few months ago I had the input selector switch completely refurbished and at the same time the amp was serviced and is now singing like a bird!

http://www.amprepairservices.co.uk/arcam/4583540896

Certainly not meant as a"downer" on your amp

For the record Its just, when I tried the Apollo/R against same player - transport only, into my Rega Dac, I struggled to hear very much difference between the combo and single player, this was on 3K Naim amplication and 1K speakers, there was a difference but not world apart
I don't use computer replay

BTW I recall the Arcam CD 36 was a very good cd player if you can source one, would match the amp I guess but then you have the Rega DacR waiting.

Good luck

It is reported that Arcam Delta xxx CD Transport doing this clock lock also with the Audiolab MDAC. For me the delta 170 CD-T is doing a fine job with my MDAC

I had one with the BB dac. It did what it said on the tin. I wouldnt consider buying one these days due to it being ancient and potential failure prone..it then becomes a boat anchor.

Certainly not meant as a"downer" on your amp

For the record Its just, when I tried the Apollo/R against same player - transport only, into my Rega Dac, I struggled to hear very much difference between the combo and single player, this was on 3K Naim amplication and 1K speakers, there was a difference but not world apart
I don't use computer replay

BTW I recall the Arcam CD 36 was a very good cd player if you can source one, would match the amp I guess but then you have the Rega DacR waiting.

Good luck
No worries.
The Arcam CD 36 is rarely seen on ebay but in any case that would be an expensive cd player to use just as a transport - or have I misunderstood your post?
As an aside I'm currently 'trying out' a Graham Slee Lautus USB cable and the improvement in comparison to a bog standard USB cable is quite amazing.
I'm currently doing an A/B comparison through the Rega Dac and am struggling to hear an appreciable difference between the cd and a flac file of the same music.

It is reported that Arcam Delta xxx CD Transport doing this clock lock also with the Audiolab MDAC. For me the delta 170 CD-T is doing a fine job with my MDAC
Is your Delta 170/MDAC connected using the clock lock or just with the normal coaxial connection?

advertisement

Back