advertisement

Anyone using a Khozmo passive pre amp?

I connected my 10k Rhozmo with Elma switch and Z-Foil for the first time today, It works really well with the Quad 303. I'm was shocked with the clarity. I connected a modified Arcam AA5+ CD player with Russian subminiature tubes in the output stage and the sound was really nicely balanced - not cold, but similar to my Unison Rearch Unico hybrid but with slightly more defined lower frequencies. (Same set of interconnects and speakers)

I connected my 10k Rhozmo with Elma switch and Z-Foil for the first time today, It works really well with the Quad 303. I'm was shocked with the clarity. I connected a modified Arcam AA5+ CD player with Russian subminiature tubes in the output stage and the sound was really nicely balanced - not cold, but similar to my Unison Rearch Unico hybrid but with slightly more defined lower frequencies. (Same set of interconnects and speakers)

Forgive my ignorance and stupid questions, can someone explain to me whats the difference between the resistors standard or options ? as seen on below screen copy from makers order website. And what to expect as improvement ?

Also It is not clear to me: series / shunt resistors, whats that suppose to mean beside the added price ?

It seems not possible to choose Elma switch in order page, but I haven't simulated all way through to purchase.

Attenuator: 48 steps ; Input selector switch: Lorlin UK
Resistors: AMRG Trans+ Vishay SMD; Wiring: Solid silver

Upgrade options:
Series resistor: Vishay "nude" Z-foil - $60
Shunt resistors: Takman REX or PRP - $120

Per, I just contacted Arek, had a chat and ordered from him directly. The Elma he can fit if you ask. I was advised by Sean at Custom HiFi Cables that the Khozmo attenuators deserve such a switch instead of the Lorlin.

Arek can advise the improvements of different resistors in the vaguest terms but for the cost of entry I decided to go for it regardless, on the basis that I’d soon forget the extra cost but might have regrets if I didn’t. I am a clueless audiophile after all.

Hi PerF .... just wondering if you'd ordered ?
Newstar1979 - any more detailed observations with your Khozmo ?

regards richard

I have a Khozmo attentuator n my passive pre. As far as components go, it's about as transparent as I have heard. It's akin to the musical equivalent of cutting out adding salt to your food. The natural flavours reappear. It's not to everyone's taste sic however, if you fall for it, it's really very difficult to return to an active pre without spending and absolute fortune trying to to emulate the sheer effortlessness and wide open panorama of a decent passive pre.

It's akin to the musical equivalent of cutting out adding salt to your food. The natural flavours reappear. It's not to everyone's taste, however, if you fall for it, it's really very difficult to return to an active pre without spending and absolute fortune trying to to emulate the sheer effortlessness and wide open panorama of a decent passive pre.

That's what I find, too. I also felt like my ears were "falling over" because they had been "pushing against the wind", and the wind dropped unexpectedly. A truly odd aural sensation, and so hard to put into words.

Well it arrived much earlier than I thought. Arek obviously worked over the weekend to get it sent and it arrived the day after he sent it. Now the Allen bolts aren't perfectly centred in the cutouts but I'll be forgetting that for now as I'm getting the Hattor chrome dials for it .
Only installed it today but I quickly heard its effect - which was to remove what I'd say is series of filters (ie in a photographic sense.....). I'm hearing a significantly better sound, more detail and dynamics from what is a MODEST system. And, that's after just 5 vinyl tracks and 7 CD tracks. The volume from both inputs is plenty too. I'm obviously pleased with it and I'm assuming that there could be a bit more improvement to come.

Only installed it today but I quickly heard its effect - which was to remove what I'd say is series of filters (ie in a photographic sense.....). I'm hearing a significantly better sound, more detail and dynamics from what is a MODEST system.

That's a very good analogy too!

I connected my 10k Rhozmo with Elma switch and Z-Foil for the first time today, It works really well with the Quad 303. I'm was shocked with the clarity.

I have a current dialoq with Arek
Thinking of order a 10K stereo version to go with a Quad 303 or Netaudio 303 monos into some LS3/5a, just did some pre-test yesterday using a Tisbury and it sounded promising.

I asked for a four input Elma version, copper wired (rather than silver)

As for resistor upgrades his comment was:

"Yes, there are two upgrades.
Series resistors can by upgraded from AMTrans for Vishay Zfoil - it gives more details
and/or
Shunt resistors can upgraded from Vishay SMD to Takman REX - better bass, smoother sound.
The best sound is with both upgardes."

Am awaiting final pricing and will decide

Whichever you choose, if you like what the Tisbury does (not) do, then you'll love what the Khozmo does (not) do.

After that you'll need some Temple Audio 2017 Monoblocks and you are (almost) done :)

I have a current dialoq with Arek
Thinking of order a 10K stereo version to go with a Quad 303 or Netaudio 303 monos into some LS3/5a, just did some pre-test yesterday using a Tisbury and it sounded promising.

I asked for a four input Elma version, copper wired (rather than silver)

As for resistor upgrades his comment was:

"Yes, there are two upgrades.
Series resistors can by upgraded from AMTrans for Vishay Zfoil - it gives more details
and/or
Shunt resistors can upgraded from Vishay SMD to Takman REX - better bass, smoother sound.
The best sound is with both upgardes."

Am awaiting final pricing and will decide

Based on what little I’ve picked up from my two very similar Audio Synthesis stepped attenuator pres I’d say you may want to balance out the Z-foil a little so I’d personally be inclined to go for ‘both’ or ‘neither’. My standard AS Passion has been upgraded with a Z-Foil shunt, the dual mono ProPassion hasn’t, and to be honest I prefer the latter by quite some distance. I totally get what people like about the Z-Foil, it is astonishingly clear and clean, it lets so much info through you couod hear someone drop a pin in an orchestral setting, but to my ears it sounds rather dry and lacking in body compared to the standard (Vshay) ProPassion.

Obviously one can argue I’m not comparing exact like for like as whilst the stepped attenuators are the same type of switch, the one in the Passion is stereo, the ProPassion has dual mono. When comparing I’ve used the Passion via its ‘direct’ input, so no input selector in circuit on either pre, so they should be exceptionally close, the shunt resistor really being the only difference. I have to admit I’m quite surprised by how different they sound! The Z-Foil Passion hyper-detailed and informative, the ProPassion fuller and more organic.

I've just ordered a basic 20k stereo model, no upgrades. Did ponder whether 3 inputs was really enough, but it's all I'm using at the mo' so just went for it :).

Based on what little I’ve picked up from my two very similar Audio Synthesis stepped attenuator pres I’d say you may want to balance out the Z-foil a little so I’d personally be inclined to go for ‘both’ or ‘neither’. My standard AS Passion has been upgraded with a Z-Foil shunt, the dual mono ProPassion hasn’t, and to be honest I prefer the latter by quite some distance. I totally get what people like about the Z-Foil, it is astonishingly clear and clean, it lets so much info through you couod hear someone drop a pin in an orchestral setting, but to my ears it sounds rather dry and lacking in body compared to the standard (Vshay) ProPassion.

Obviously one can argue I’m not comparing exact like for like as whilst the stepped attenuators are the same type of switch, the one in the Passion is stereo, the ProPassion has dual mono. When comparing I’ve used the Passion via its ‘direct’ input, so no input selector in circuit on either pre, so they should be exceptionally close, the shunt resistor really being the only difference. I have to admit I’m quite surprised by how different they sound! The Z-Foil Passion hyper-detailed and informative, the ProPassion fuller and more organic.

Thanks Tony, your observations are really interesting and proove its not easy to order the right choice

Whichever you choose, if you like what the Tisbury does (not) do, then you'll love what the Khozmo does (not) do.

After that you'll need some Temple Audio 2017 Monoblocks and you are (almost) done :)

Hi Peter, the Temples are interesting but I allready have the 303's in house

Perhaps next investment ?

What speakers would suit these Temple mono's ?
Guess most not difficult driven will go, I have some old Royds.

If not for the LS3/5a and my little room office I'd be tempted to some fullrange horn-alike speakers, maybe next year

I've just ordered a basic 20k stereo model, no upgrades. Did ponder whether 3 inputs was really enough, but it's all I'm using at the mo' so just went for it :).

I asked for a four input just to have "that aux" option for eventual later use, it was $30 extra only
Normally I use turntable, cd & tuner

What speakers would suit these Temple mono's ?
Guess most not difficult driven will go, I have some old Royds.

If not for the LS3/5a and my little room office I'd be tempted to some fullrange horn-alike speakers, maybe next year

Pretty much anything within reason, but I want to try some frugel horns.

advertisement

Back