advertisement

Anyone need a new torch?

hc25036

pfm Member
I seem to remember a torch thread on here last year, so there must be some other sad torch fiends on here. Today (Tuesday only) Amazon have the LED Lenser 7.2 as the deal of the day at £26. It's around £50 elsewhere.

I have the original version and it is a brilliant (pun intended) thing. If only I could accidentally lose it (and several other nice torches hidden away around the house) I'd be buying at least one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=nav_cs_top_nav_gb27

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you want it just get it!

I have a thing about maglites, they don't have the best light output for the money but they are a work of art and will outlast me. I have 7 in total! Do I need them all? No, but so what.

Been more than happy with Chinese Cree torches off eBay for less than a tenner. Actually really well made.

My Maglite is 'The Best',
You get what you pay for in this life.
If Amazon are selling it cheap, it's a low cost design.
OK, we all know about Chinese costs and low labour rates, but I still contend in the end ( I'm a Poet, but I don't know it...) you pay low prices you get low quality.
Sermon over!
M Miles.

OK, we all know about Chinese costs and low labour rates, but I still contend in the end ( I'm a Poet, but I don't know it...) you pay low prices you get low quality.

I think that's most unfair to the child slaves of China, some do very good work and make very fine torches, phones, computers, hi-fi etc.

PS I actually have no idea at all how they do it - I've got one of the £1.58 eBay LED torches sitting on the table in front of me and the raw materials have to be worth far, far more than that (e.g. the alloy, the LED, the switch, the lens, the reflector, the battery holder etc etc), in fact I couldn't even post it within the UK for the asking price, let alone get it here from China. Global capitalism just makes no sense sometimes - I can't see any room for profit at all in things like this.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I used to own several Maglites of various sizes. Every single one was crap and given their robust appearance was as delicate as a delicate thing. Fair play to the USA made ethos but so what, I'm British it's still a bloody import.

My Maglite is 'The Best',
You get what you pay for in this life.
If Amazon are selling it cheap, it's a low cost design.
Sermon over!
M Miles.

Usually a fair point Martyn, but this is a genuine reduction on a £50 torch with an aluminium body, a patented light system and which is aimed at professional users.

If I thought it was crap, I wouldn't have recommended it. Oh - I also have 4 different Maglites and I'd take the Lenser every time un;ess I was looking for a combined light/self-defence option....

I've several Lenser torches kicking about that I've owned for a few years now. They're extremely robust & well-made. My Maglite lives in the car ("sorry occifer, just defending myself with this old torch") & I converted it to LED but unfortunately there's now a black hole in the centre of the beam where the reflector doesn't match up. OK for emergency use but you have to make sure to change the batteries before they decide to split, they're a real swine to get out again. The Lenser's got a bit more room for the batteries.

Even £26's rather a lot to lash out on a hand torch, but they are a high-quality item.

Usually a fair point Martyn, but this is a genuine reduction on a £50 torch with an aluminium body, a patented light system and which is aimed at professional users.

If I thought it was crap, I wouldn't have recommended it. Oh - I also have 4 different Maglites and I'd take the Lenser every time un;ess I was looking for a combined light/self-defence option....

Combined light/self-defence option.... :D

I'm well into photography/urbex, a 6D maglite is a bloody good deterrent to any undesirables you might meet whilst carrying valuable camera kit.... And yes I keep one in the car. I know there are better lights out there but as an item, I just like them.

That said, I'm kind of tempted to try one of those Lensers you have linked to.

I just use Bike lights now. The most important thing is that I have decent lights that clip to the bike.

So I just use them for torchlight when needed. Waterproof, bright and mini torch shaped.. Why would I need a seperate maglite cluttering up the place. :)

Does anyone need a pricey designer torch now. The Cree style leds are completely changing the value for money stakes in portable lighting.

I've also got a Lenser head torch which is pretty bright, but the batteries don't last very long. I bought a chinese headset with lithium battery off e-Bay for a few quid which is devastatingly bright but the beam's very thin. It's got a seperate battery unit designed to go on a belt, but I've modified it to sit at the back of the headband. The whole thing's very substantial and the battery lasts ages.

What I'd really like is one of these bad boys. Bit pricey at £650.

Mull would understand!

Are there any sensible alternatives to the 1 million candle spotlights you get from B&Q for £10 ? I've been through so many as the battery dies after a year or so - would really like a rechargeable one - any out there ?

CHE

advertisement

Back