advertisement

Anyone know what speakers these are?

Jezzer

Unspecified
IMG-1433.jpg

and would you dare to have a pair?

Anthos Audio. Made in Norfolk. Radian Mid driver, 12" hornloaded upper bass & some kind of active sub incorporated. Digital crossover. One of the nicer sounding systems at Bristol imho.

For people who prefer to listen to music with their eyes closed.

They certainly looked rather ‘anusy’ upon first gaze. Though I haven’t seen them ‘in the flesh’ so to speak. Maybe they look less frightening in reality.

They were at the Stoke show a few years ago. They sounded absolutely superb, and the way the horns look has provenance - early horn gramophones were constructed like this. Very nifty craftsmanship, and to my mind more interesting visually than, say Avantguard horns in a broadly similar configuration.
I revisited the room, first he was playing classical, early music, on the re-visit he played a percussion track. Wide open full range sound, zero compression, vivid soundstage. No edge to the sound either. Haven't heard the latest incarnation, but if he's improved on that - and he struck me as someone who very much knew what he was doing - they must be quite some achievement.
And in answer to the OP I'd very much have a pair.

Well, ex Mrs Jezzer had an old gramophone and its horn was definitely not as sphinctery looking.

You guys should have seen my DIY lengthening of a JBL 2420/2312 horn combo. It's used in, among others, JBL L300. The 2312 horns flare is calculated for 250 Hz, but at 12" length it's way to short for that. So, if one lengthens it to about double that length it should do 250 Hz? Lot's of small pieces of chip board and loads of spackling compound later it was time for a test. It went straight down to 300 Hz with floor loading and, not a surprise, absolutely no dispersion at higher frequencies.
It looked horrible.

...would you dare to have a pair?

No. Most horns if not all are space dominant, I've lived with a moderate small pair of horns and I wouldn't do it again even though I usually like their sound. To be precise, if I had again horns they wouldn't be my only pair of speakers, most of them are not ideal for rock music and that's important for me.

If I had the space in which they would work, and the money, then....still probably not. However I've been looking at slim floor standers recently and tbh I think a lot of them are pretty ugly, at least those horns look interesting.

advertisement

Back