advertisement

Anybody heard Amphion Krypton 3?

indus

pfm Member
Good morning.

The Amphion K3 seem to have some clever design features (ie cardiod dispersion) to allow better in room response.

Has anybody heard these? Not many reviews or owner feedback available on the web.

Thank you.

I have a pair here at the moment. What would you like to know?

Good morning
I was particularly after user feedback or members who may have heard them and could compare/contrast their performance to other speakers.
However it would be silly of me not to use your expertise about some technical questions:)

1) The woofer is side mounted. If the speakers are quite close to side walls is it recommended to have them facing in? What are the pros/cons on having them facing in or out? I have one speaker close to side wall (all glass) and one not.

2) If the woofers are facing inwards and there is something between the speakers (ie cabinet) what happens then?

3) How much clearance do they need to the rear wall?

4) Are the dimensions as stated inclusive of the plinth?

5) How do they sound?:):)

At the moment I use Monitor Audio PL 300 speakers. I've had them for years and really like them. Are you in a position to compare to these?

Other kit is Simaudio CDT, Simaudio 380d dac/streamer, audio research LS17 preamp, Bel Canto Ref 600 monoblocs, Trinnov ST2 HiFi room correction.

Thanks

You're welcome to come and have a listen to them. To answer your questions...

1. You can position them with the 10" woofers facing inwards or outwards. You get a slightly bigger soundstage with the woofers on the outside, but this works best when the speakers are well clear of the side walls. In an asymmetrical layout with one speaker close to the side wall, you will probably get the best results with the woofers facing inwards.
2. Very little. Those drivers are only dealing with low frequencies which radiate in all directions and easily pass through furniture and other obstacles. One thing to avoid though is obstructing the vents in the side panels behind the midrange drivers. You want the sound leaving those vents to mix freely with sound escaping around the sides from the surface of the drivers, so that they cancel each other out and create a cardioid radiation pattern.
3. Surprisingly little. I have two demo rooms. I currently have them in the smaller room with about 50cm behind them. At this distance the bottom end is lifted slightly compared to the more even output you would get with the speakers in free space, which most visitors seem to enjoy. Your Trinnov ST2 will compensate for this easily and will allow you to place them even closer to the front wall, if required.
4. Including the plinths but excluding floor spikes their maximum dimensions are 33cm x 48cm x 140cm (W x D x H)
5. They sound glorious.

I don't sell Monitor Audio products. I have heard the original PL300 in the same room but not alongside the Krypton. The PL300 is an excellent loudspeaker. It might also be a better fit for your room and tastes. However, I suspect that the Krypton is the better loudspeaker in absolute terms. There is really only one other passive loudspeaker which has impressed me quite this much - the Neat Ultimatum XL10.

You're welcome to come and have a listen to them. To answer your questions...

1. You can position them with the 10" woofers facing inwards or outwards. You get a slightly bigger soundstage with the woofers on the outside, but this works best when the speakers are well clear of the side walls. In an asymmetrical layout with one speaker close to the side wall, you will probably get the best results with the woofers facing inwards.
2. Very little. Those drivers are only dealing with low frequencies which radiate in all directions and easily pass through furniture and other obstacles. One thing to avoid though is obstructing the vents in the side panels behind the midrange drivers. You want the sound leaving those vents to mix freely with sound escaping around the sides from the surface of the drivers, so that they cancel each other out and create a cardioid radiation pattern.
3. Surprisingly little. I have two demo rooms. I currently have them in the smaller room with about 50cm behind them. At this distance the bottom end is lifted slightly compared to the more even output you would get with the speakers in free space, which most visitors seem to enjoy. Your Trinnov ST2 will compensate for this easily and will allow you to place them even closer to the front wall, if required.
4. Including the plinths but excluding floor spikes their maximum dimensions are 33cm x 48cm x 140cm (W x D x H)
5. They sound glorious.

I don't sell Monitor Audio products. I have heard the original PL300 in the same room but not alongside the Krypton. The PL300 is an excellent loudspeaker. It might also be a better fit for your room and tastes. However, I suspect that the Krypton is the better loudspeaker in absolute terms. There is really only one other passive loudspeaker which has impressed me quite this much - the Neat Ultimatum XL10.

Thank you.
Unfortunately I'm quite some distance from you otherwise I would have come to have a listen.
Can you elaborate what you mean by 'the pl300 might be a better fit to my taste and room'? Do you mean that in general terms or some particular differences between the two.

Thanks

Can you elaborate what you mean by 'the pl300 might be a better fit to my taste and room'? Do you mean that in general terms or some particular differences between the two.

Mostly, I mean that I do not have enough information about your room and its layout to make a confident statement about how well or not the Krypton will work for you. It offers more flexible placement than most speakers of its size, but it is certainly larger and heavier than the PL300 and has a very different driver configuration. Also, people’s tastes differ.

Whereabouts are you based? I might be able to bring them to you. I still think it would be best if you tried them here first though. We’re easy to reach by car, train or plane. We’ll feed and water you while you’re here. We can even put you up for the night if required.

advertisement

Back