advertisement

Anybody been on the Linn Forum recently?

The reason for the wholesale adoption of the Linn GIGO near religion was that at that time amplifiers were pretty technically competent, but the beginning and the end of the reproduction chain could add significant amounts of distortion, or just simply lose information.

Plus, at the start, Linn only made a source component. You can find a “reverse GIGO” argument from say Harbeth, who only make loudspeakers! ;-)

With analogue replay you clearly need high quality mechanical engineering. A cheap record player is almost without exception a bad record player, so Linn’s argument holds a fair amount of water. I felt it was taken to extremes though as compromising on the loudspeaker is never a sensible idea. Again good sound takes proper mechanical engineering. To my mind the area most able to be compromised is the amplifier as it is very well established technology and assuming a sensibly designed and efficient loudspeaker shouldn’t be asked to move mountains with crazy current or Watts. If I were selling the flat-earth ideology with 20/20 hindsight I’d go ‘mid-light’ every time, e.g. LP12, A60, BC1s or equivalent over say LP12, 32/Snaps/110 and something hopelessly compromised like say Wharfedale Diamonds. Nice amps needn’t cost the earth.

Nor can it be retrieved from the middle or end. Failing to think in a rational way like this is what enables Linn/Naim/cable/... type marketing to work for you whereas not for others. There is no great problem here given it is only hi-fi and the upside is that some Linn/Naim/... enthusiasts can bond, for want of a better word, with the hardware/brand much more strongly than is the case for others that reason more rationally about hi-fi.
As you keep playing the Linn/Naim/cable/.. card over and over again, you make it really impossible to have a conversation on an equal level.
You have decided that I'm a religious nut no matter what.

I hope you appreciate that for at least one of us that makes the discussion somewhat less enjoyable.

Edit 1: Out of curiosity, what do Naim and/or cable people do that grinds your gears?
Edit 2: As this thread has Linn in its name, why even bother reading let alone commenting in it? I have no turntable, nor vinyl, so I don't read threads about either of them. I also ignore threads where only specific equipment is mentioned as my one-track mind finds that very difficult to cope with, as I'm sure you'll understand. I did read a thread however about rugs, as I'm very curious about them, and one day hope to be able to aquire one.

Last edited:
@Tony L : it seems that some Linn refugees who tried the Lejonklou forums outlasted their welcome and may be heading towards WAM. Would you be interested in having them here, or would you prefer an hands-off approach?

Every new face is very welcome here on pfm, though I don’t see it in any way as being a ‘choice’ between pfm and WigWam, the correct answer is likely both! pfm and WigWam have always cohabited in a friendly and respectful manner throughout both forums long existence. We are not in competition - each has a different feel, so some will prefer one to the other.

The Linn forum seemed to me a nerdy chat room for a small number of Linn owners and enthusiasts who probably don’t represent Linn’s aspirations. Linn now does demonstrations in furniture showrooms and covers its speakers in designer fabrics and advertises its products in vapid bourgeois domestic settings where there are no wires connecting the equipment and the users all have their backs turned to the speakers. They don’t need a forum.

Hi AndyU,

I was a Linn Forum member and contributor who found it most useful as an LP12 owner. Unfortunately I fear your second sentence is correct and therefore, I agree, they no longer need a forum of enthusiasts.

So whilst I will miss it, it is not the end of my LP12 and after all it is a Linn business decision which they are entitled to make so I wish them all the best for the future.

Richard

P.s. I have been a PFM member for some years now.

LP12s are certainly things we do here on pfm, I’ve had them stripped down in bits over my carpet many, many times! I still get to visit my last one (Cirkus spec with Zeta, now fitted with a Lingo) as I sold it to a friend! It’s a great deck.

PS A fair bit of Linn info has ended up on Jim’s UK hifi history soc site here including the full LP12 setup manual and some service data for old amps etc.

advertisement

Back