advertisement

Anti Climatic....

RICHARD1111

pfm Member
I should be collecting my new amp and cdt (Living Voice modified Art Audio Argento and Jay's Audio CDT3) this week, but as we are trying to sell our house, my wife decided it would look better with no HIFI. I packed my gear up around 3 months ago and it's really starting to bother me now.

Just venting frustration as none of my friends understand how important music is... .or the excitement of getting new gear!

but as we are trying to sell our house, my wife decided it would look better with no HIFI.
But is she right? If so, hope the house sells quickly.
I would have fun trying to pack mine up. The loft is already full, and I couldn't even get the speakers and cabinet up the ladder
53553769356_dc1ede3329_z.jpg

I should be collecting my new amp and cdt (Living Voice modified Art Audio Argento and Jay's Audio CDT3) this week, but as we are trying to sell our house, my wife decided it would look better with no HIFI. I packed my gear up around 3 months ago and it's really starting to bother me now.

Just venting frustration as none of my friends understand how important music is... .or the excitement of getting new gear!
My sympathies - we are moving house but have compromised on putting the grilles back on the speakers and removing the amplifier from sight when we have a viewing. Finding a good listening room to move on to is the bigger issue! Best of luck with the sale...

When we sold our last house I moved my equipment to a less noticeable placement and took the speakers out of the room for the agents photographer, he said it really was unnecessary given the appearance of the equipment and,
"it's not like it used to be with a big wall of black racks and boxes"
Your equipment would probably be fine, maybe worthwhile hiding or disconnecting the wires (spaghetti) for the estate agent pics.
Then again if it's going to cause strife with the good lady maybe just worth being patient. House selling, packing and moving is stressful enough.
Good luck with the sale and move ,etc!

I've sold one house with a rack of hi-fi in full show. IME it gives the bloke something to talk about while the other half looks at the bathroom;)

Seems a very extreme stand to take, thankfully not my problem. Hope you get to gave a system in the new house.

We have seen a house we both love... and it has a nice music room for me! The main problem was the really thick speaker cable that goes around the fire place... so I've ordered some cheap thin stuff as a compromise. I'll also put my gear on a side table at the back of the room instead of the rack just as you walk in.

She is enjoying not having music "blaring through the whole house" too.

Not having a hifi to listen to is really getting on me now though, I didn't appreciate how much I helps my stress levels.

Although I don't live with my partner yet, she knows I come with big speakers and lots of hifi boxes... and that's just the bedroom system I'm talking about. There are more boxes and even bigger speakers in the living room system that are also part of the package deal. Yeah, she loves me alright:)

I did this once for a house move, I imagine it's like coming off drug addiction, it was for me.

think you need a good open chat with the Mrs. If it’s so important to you.
she's taken the opportunity to try and lay some ground rules before I get everything out again! I'm not quite telling the whole story, it's not just her not liking my hifi.... she has been very supportive, even when I came home with some Proac Carbon Pro 8s!!!!

I generally listen to music as soon as I clock off, either that or I go out on my bike. It’s really useful to decompress.

My system & collection has its own room, doubles as a bit of a dumping ground at times; coats Xmas pressies etc.

I really don’t under how people cope with these big open plan spaces.

OP's wife hasn't banned the hi-fi - she's just trying to dress the house in a way that will get it sold.

One of our neighbours completely emptied their flat of possessions to sell it. Not even a toothbrush. Sounds extreme but it worked - it sold in a day.

House buying psychology is weird. We think we're rational and aren't swayed by things like a loud carpet or a collections of scary dolls but first impressions count.

Best of luck Richard. Hope you're enjoying your new gear in your new pad very soon.

Just accepted an offer on our place after being on the market for 9 months and several viewings. Wondering if the proliferations of speakers put all the others off! Sore point is that the new place has only space for one system.....

OP's wife hasn't banned the hi-fi - she's just trying to dress the house in a way that will get it sold.

One of our neighbours completely emptied their flat of possessions to sell it. Not even a toothbrush. Sounds extreme but it worked - it sold in a day.

House buying psychology is weird. We think we're rational and aren't swayed by things like a loud carpet or a collections of scary dolls but first impressions count.

Best of luck Richard. Hope you're enjoying your new gear in your new pad very soon.
Same happened with the house we just bought: nice and tidy inside, but you couldn't step one foot into the double-garage.

As for our current rental, the landlord was just in this weekend to take some photos and he didn't even mention the hifi. He did appreciate my joke that we're only leaving because I need more space for my hifi though.

advertisement

Back