advertisement

Another strange music gig (not for me I fear!)

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
BABA ZULA and THE MAD PROFESSOR

SATURDAY 8th 6.30pm - 10pm
In Carling Academy N1 Centre, Upper Street, Angel N1.

Istanbul band Baba Zula featured in Fatih AkIn's film Crossing the Bridge with Alexander Hacke from German group Einsturzende Neubauten. They are real fun, weird and wonderful sound artists, mixing Turkish ethnic music and reggae. They come with their own BELLY DANCER and SKETCH ARTIST. MAD PROFESSOR (worked with Massive Attack and Lee Scratch Perry) is a legendary producer working all round the world with his Dub Reggae shows. He'll open with his own live set, then move on to mix Baba Zula's sound.

We hope to see you there! Tickets are £12 in advance.
TO GET THE £12 PRICE EMAIL ([email protected]) OR TEXT US BACK ON 07966 452557 BEFORE END OF FRIDAY 7TH APRIL PLEASE AND WE'LL PUT YOU ON THE £12 GUEST LIST TO PAY ON THE DOOR. Otherwise it's £17 on the door. Or you can buy from Carling Academy Box Office First floor (Bar Academy) in the N1 Centre, Angel (Upper Street opposite Angel tube station, between 12 and 4pm NO BOOKING FEE). This way you'll have a ticket in your hand and won't need to queue. Credit Card Booking line: 0870 163 3833. (Pay and pick up on the door)

That should be awesomely good! Pity that London is the centre of the universe, and that I live so far from it...

I went for Little Axe after some internal debate. I was a bit worried that great memories of Tack>head concerts in the 80s and 90s might be erased. I needn't have been concerned. Skip McDonald is settling into the grizzled Bluesman role very well and Wimbish/Leblanc/Sherwood are awesome sidesmen. Blues for the 21st Century

I enjoyed Eric Bling's minimal approach too.

I went to the Buba Zula gig on Saturday, it's certainly a different mixure of sounds enjoyed the belly dancer and live sketchwork behind the band.
As for the music, good uptempo beats, almost indian in some of the rifs and licks, The Dub beats & Bass were great, Mad proffessor is still in charge,
unlike LSP who I respect but has lost the plot in terms of musical delivery.

Not a bad night all in, although ending at 10pm I felt short changed

So does anyone else check out gigs on the world music scene on a regular basis ?

G

advertisement

Back