advertisement

Another problem for Boeing 737 Max

Been on a few of those, stuck post it notes on boards, done the role playing (but not unfortunately in the D&D manner - so no “Fireball spells at one hundred paces“), and similar

But to misquote l’empereur Napoleon, “All plans go to rats on first contact with the management.”
Just as pertinently, to quote Mike Tyson: "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face."

Perhaps aircraft maintenance engineers should read Nevil Shute`s book Round the Bend where aircraft maintenance becomes a sort of religion with very beneficial results.

Perhaps aircraft maintenance engineers should read Nevil Shute`s book Round the Bend where aircraft maintenance becomes a sort of religion with very beneficial results.
I’ve been in aircraft maintenance for 43 years. It is taken very seriously. We would rather have an aircraft on the ground with us scratching our heads, than an aircraft at 10,000ft with no power and two worried crew on board.

Perhaps some other countries have lower standards (ok, I know some do) and there are a few rogue companies somehow still in existence, but nobody in the U.K. or Europe need worry. You’ll fall down the stairs and break your neck before you’re involved in a plane crash in our airspace.

I’ve been in aircraft maintenance for 43 years. It is taken very seriously. We would rather have an aircraft on the ground with us scratching our heads, than an aircraft at 10,000ft with no power and two worried crew on board.

Perhaps some other countries have lower standards (ok, I know some do) and there are a few rogue companies somehow still in existence, but nobody in the U.K. or Europe need worry. You’ll fall down the stairs and break your neck before you’re involved in a plane crash in our airspace.
I`m sure you are right and I was in no way questioning maintenance standards in the vast majority of administrations.

Nevil Shute of course was writing in the slightly more gung ho area of the Middle East 75 years ago.

The very small number of accidents these days compared to the number of, say Comet and 707 crashes in the fifties is testament to the care taken now, particularly given the number of aircraft in service and the number of flights daily.

I`m sure you are right and I was in no way questioning maintenance standards in the vast majority of administrations.

Nevil Shute of course was writing in the slightly more gung ho area of the Middle East 75 years ago.

The very small number of accidents these days compared to the number of, say Comet and 707 crashes in the fifties is testament to the care taken now, particularly given the number of aircraft in service and the number of flights daily.
And we still look for areas to improve upon, every moment of every day.

My understanding is that the DH Comet was a brilliant but compromised design which resulted in some catastrophic failures. The 707 was a clever but more conservative design and consequently had a pretty good safety record.

I was scheduled to come back on one of Ryanair’s now extensive fleet yesterday. It went technical and I was delighted to see they bussed us out to a Lauda Air A320 instead. Much wider seats and a more spacious feel generally.

My understanding is that the DH Comet was a brilliant but compromised design which resulted in some catastrophic failures. The 707 was a clever but more conservative design and consequently had a pretty good safety record.
Yes, as far as the Comet was concerned I think De Havilland were a little too gung ho and reduced some safety margins too much in order to save weight before the available engines were sufficiently powerful. I think the redesigned Comet 4 was not a bad aircraft but the earlier crashes had soured the market.

I seem to remember that the 707 had problems with engines falling off in the early days.

advertisement

Back