advertisement

(Another) Grauniad article on vinyl revival

I get what he's saying but it ignores the fact that millions and millions of records already exist.

Enthusiasts can build a great record collection at reasonable cost without buying any new records at all. For many, buying a brand new album will be a rarity. I'm looking for another copy of 'Selling England By The Pound', as my good copy has inexplicably vanished, and I'm not short of options. Loads of copies available at all price points and I think this is part of the reason vinyl is proving popular. Yes, you can buy as many versions of the latest Swift album as your credit card will allow but you don't have to. Kids can get hold of a modest turntable, root the charity shops or eBay and be a player in the same game.

You get to build something tangible, see something grow and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Before long we'll see the return of the bargain bin as these overpriced albums start gathering dust in warehouses. Let the good times roll.

I rarely buy second-hand albums and I can say that over the last 2 years, every LP I have bought has been new. I have bought 1 LP of a CD I already own, and that though will be a rare event. I have very little interest in buying most back catalogue music that I don't already own. This doesn't mean that I don't like the music I used to like, it is more about that I am still finding current bands and solo artists to like and want to explore more.

Reactions: Jlc
I rarely buy second-hand albums and I can say that over the last 2 years, every LP I have bought has been new. I have bought 1 LP of a CD I already own, and that though will be a rare event. I have very little interest in buying most back catalogue music that I don't already own. This doesn't mean that I don't like the music I used to like, it is more about that I am still finding current bands and solo artists to like and want to explore more.
I have found that many reissues of classic albums are not as good as the originals.
The term "re-mastered" often means "ruined" to my ears, especially when the original was mono and it has been reprocessed for stereo..
I recently bought a new anthology of Dinah Washington labeled as "Audiophile" as I only have a few of her records. I felt like complaining to Trading Standards as the processing for stereo was so bad. My oldest LP is a 1955 mono recording of hers which knocks spots of the "Audiophile" record which means the word "Audiophile" is now meaningless.

A mates 15yr old son has recently got into the vinyl thing which is fine by me, hes only got a cheap £100 all in one turntable/speaker thingy but if he’s still into it come his birthday in may I’ll buy him something decent like a basic project debut set up or similar. I bought him the Stranger Things series 1 soundtrack and also Stranger Things series 1 score on gatefold coloured vinyl and he was well pleased with them and as for the sound quality argument?, I’m not going there despite giving him my AirPods Max and AirPods Pro Gen 1 as he likes listening to vinyl with his GF whilst looking through his 10 vinyl collection.

As long as he’s getting enjoyment out of listening to music then it’s all good no matter which format

Before long we'll see the return of the bargain bin as these overpriced albums start gathering dust in warehouses.
Overstock stalls have been a feature of record fairs for a few years now - generally sealed LPs for £10 each but sometimes £5 or less.

A mates 15yr old son has recently got into the vinyl thing which is fine by me, hes only got a cheap £100 all in one turntable/speaker thingy but if he’s still into it come his birthday in may I’ll buy him something decent like a basic project debut set up or similar. … he likes listening to vinyl with his GF whilst looking through his 10 vinyl collection.

As long as he’s getting enjoyment out of listening to music then it’s all good no matter which format
We all had that many once! If not for long, usually. That said, when I was 15 there were only a couple of realistic choices of format. CD was brand new & very expensive to get into.

Btw the plural of ‘vinyl’ is ‘vinyls’. 😉

Funny old thing, narrative. CD sales are still getting on for double those of vinyl at 11m vs 5.9m but the only angle you ever read about is the vinyl one.

Funny old thing, narrative. CD sales are still getting on for double those of vinyl at 11m vs 5.9m but the only angle you ever read about is the vinyl one.
Give it 5 years and someone younger than you will be hear posting about the irrelevance of CD sales as opposed to?

There were a few stories a while back about CD sales falling off a cliff. Which they have.

A reminder I guess that even with sales at a 30 year peak vinyl is still very much a niche format.

advertisement

Back