advertisement

Analogue preamp for Amptastic Mini-1 and/or NAP100?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I'd like to have a preamp so I can use my Amptastic Mini-1 as a poweramp, although I've also got a NAP100 at hand so it would be handy to have a preamp that's suitable for both. The speakers are Tannoy Eaton Legacy although knowing me, there's a chance that said preamp and poweramp combo could end up driving any of the speakers I've got.

Is there anything I'd have to take into account regarding the above poweramps and speakers? Or is it the case that any preamp will do as long as it has the right functionality, just that the results will differ as per design.

Apart from the Schiit Saga, which may not be the most suitable, anyone care to suggest which preamplifiers would be appropriate given the poweramps and speakers in question? Let's say the budget stretches to £2k second hand.

I mean, I've looked at various preamps from a Project Pre that costs £220 new to a Quad QC24 around £1,100 to Bel Canto Pre5 that costs around £1,900 second hand I'm just not sure what I really want and what I really need.

Edit: I suppose I only need a cheap one to see whether a pre/power option is viable and preferable over the Brio that's in my bedroom system already. But sometimes there's more than a grain of truth in the old saying Buy cheap, buy twice. So it might well be I won't hear anything of significance unless I pony up and buy a quality preamp to begin with.

What sort of gain, and forgive me for asking, level of noise, does the NAP 100 have? I know the Amptastic well but only older Naim power amps.

The best active preamp I’ve had at a reasonable price is the Michell Orca, a Graham Fowler of Trichord design, but it had too much gain for my system.

PS Do you still have any SACDs for sale? If yes, please drop me a PM.

The Dynavector L100 is a good preamp at modest cost (preferred to NAC82/2HC), but no remote.

The Topping Pre90 is superb and what I use with the Genelecs but you’d need to run an RCA to XLR cable (not a problem and I probably have one) or get the add on box with more inputs.

Unfortunately I'm at work typing on my phone so all I know about the NAP100 is that it's rated at 50wpc.

I suppose I'm more interested in trying a pre/power combo that includes the Amptastic, but I could easily swap in the NAP100 if running the Amptastic as a poweramp doesn't really work out.

@Alex S I'll write out a list of SACDs when I get home from work tomorrow:)

Oh, I'd only need two inputs as I've got a Qutest in situ and if I'm to dispense with the Brio, for however long, then I'd be using a phono stage as well.

If I can summon the will I could try the Topping with the Amptastic (and the Sugden Headmaster) but not sure what you’d learn since our speakers, and likely room and ears, are probably very different.

Myryad Zmini Series Z40 Headphone Amplifier.
These are good preamps and happen to be excellent headphone amps as well:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yeah, I guess loose generalisations are all that would provide, except for yourself given it's your equipment, room and ears.

The fact that you’re somewhere in my mind as a memory doesn’t tell me how far you are from Greenwich :)

Oh, I'd only need two inputs as I've got a Qutest in situ and if I'm to dispense with the Brio, for however long, then I'd be using a phono stage as well.
I need two inputs too and using the basic Amptastic I have to swap them over. No big deal really, it’s a super wee amp.

I've also got a NAP100 at hand so it would be handy to have a preamp that's suitable
Me too,
I have a Nap 100 which is a splendid amp in Naim hiearchy.
I could use a half width analog preamp to office use with my 100.
Room for two half width boxes only.
Must be some ideas out there.

It would seem that DAC preamps are all rage these days. But straightforward analogue preamps, especially half width preamps, just aren't as popular.

advertisement

Back