advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

There was a change to the offside rule a few years ago which gave the benefit of doubt to the forward in the event of them being level in the judgement of the lino with the last defender. Yesterday’s would probably have fallen into this category and Coventry would have won. For sure, there would have been debate and controversy but evidently there still is with VAR.

Actually a closeup shows the red line to be over the Utd player's foot too. If the lines are so obviously arbitrary how do we have any faith in the system? I'm willing to bet that these lines are the same within the uncertainty of the measurment. In fact, it is impossible for the system to show mms. I'd argue that VAR is being used by people who do not understand its limitations. That's cost us easily £2m for missing the final - big money in the Championship - 3 players wages within the squad. Still if we hadn't gifted them a 3 goal head start we'd have won comfortably, I think.

"Evidence in vision science points toward two problems with this process. Let’s start with the space rule. Under reasonable assumptions (1,920 × 1,080 pixel video, view-angle covering about 50 m), each pixel in the TV image covers an on-field distance of approximately 2.5 cm.
In actual still-frame footage, the images of moving players and balls are smeared over a distance of approximately eight pixels (see Figure 1), so their true positions lie at the centre of roughly Gaussian blur functions covering a distance of perhaps ± 10 cm."

AFAIK the Dutch league VAR uses a +/- 5cm tolerance for this reason.

AFAIK the Dutch league VAR uses a +/- 5cm tolerance for this reason.
Perhaps that's what the thickness of the lines represents? In essence, they're trying to measure a gnat's cock using a ruler missing the mm markings and without repeat measurements to average!

I guess my problem with it is it creates a bias in favour of the defending team which is out of step with the way the rules of football are set up.

Perhaps that's what the thickness of the lines represents? In essence, they're trying to measure a gnat's cock using a ruler missing the mm markings and without repeat measurements to average!

I guess my problem with it is it creates a bias in favour of the defending team which is out of step with the way the rules of football are set up.
Forgive me for repeating myself as I think I've said this before on another thread, the benefit of the doubt should go with the attacking team, offside should be when there's daylight between the defender and the attacker, it shouldn't be measured by a toe, finger or nose. The game is for entertainment at the end of the day.

Cheers BB

You must be so proud of your team!
Meanwhile the rest of football hasn’t stopped laughing.
Who do you think your new manager will be?
Martin Samuel summed up the pathetic state of United here.

VAR is updating its tech for next season - next level and all that. “The technology will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking” the Premier League elaborated.

Yesterday's off-side decision was correct. The new tech would just confirm it.

Coventry had plenty of opportunities to win the game but they didn't take them. Blaming a single VAR decision is just distraction.

VAR is updating its tech for next season - next level and all that. “The technology will provide quicker and consistent placement of the virtual offside line, based on optical player tracking” the Premier League elaborated.

Yesterday's off-side decision was correct. The new tech would just confirm it.

Coventry had plenty of opportunities to win the game but they didn't take them. Blaming a single VAR decision is just distraction.
Cov didn't really deserve the penalty either.
Overall, I'm disappointed that the scum managed to seep through, but hopefully they will be thumped 5-0 in the final.

Cov didn't really deserve the penalty either.
Overall, I'm disappointed that the scum managed to seep through, but hopefully they will be thumped 5-0 in the final.

Whatever VAR or the ref decided, Coventry had plenty of chances to win the game but they blew it. They are a decent Championship side, like Leeds.

Congratulations to Arsenal on an outstanding win. I would have no issue at all if they win the league as they have been the best, for much of the season. I know that counts for nothing, but still.

As for Manchester City, the strong rumour is that Bernardo Silva will definitely leave at the end of this year. He will be a loss, and will be hard to replace. I cannot see it, but KDB and Saudi are being linked too, and it is clear that this era of player is coming to an end (Gundogan, Silva, Debruyne, Mahrez), and either gone or going, or reaching the end of their peak. Walker falls into this category too - his performance against Venicius Jr shows that he is physically a specimen, but his mental lapses, and his life away from sport, as well as the emergence of Manuel Akanji and Rico Lewis, make me question how long he will stay.

The purchase of Caudio Echeverri is an exciting one; he is very young but already a dominant player in the Argentinian league, and the player of the tournament in the Youth World Cup, with the kind of performances and style that remind of Phil Foden. Savio, who has been tearing up LaLiga for Girona, has been purchased, and that creates wing options between Jeremy Doku, Savio, and Oscar Bobb, who I think is an outstanding prospect. There is no guarantee that Savio will play for City next season, but if he does, it could also give the chance to use Jack Grealish inside, where I believe he will thrive. We have also apparently bought 'the best 14 year old in world football' too - Let's hope he is more Messi than Freddie Adu.

City have a record of getting rid of getting rid of a high profile player almost annually, they also have a record of having a decent young replacement too. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Cheers BB

City have a record of getting rid of getting rid of a high profile player almost annually, they also have a record of having a decent young replacement too. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Cheers BB
Agreed. Having lived through 44 years of no success at all, I am happy just to watch my team and the game; anything else is a bonus.

advertisement

Back