advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

There’s too much money involved both in the game and through gambling and thus I stand by my conclusion - plenty of evidence out there from many teams in fairness

If you can’t for one moment that some officials are on the take then you must live in a different world from me - nowt to do with todays game which I watched on holiday in Greece in a bar - some of the decisions were met with laughter by the locals most of whom were Utd, City and Arsenal fans…. The consensus from them is that it’s not just in Italy where this thing happens

I’m no Liverpool apologist but what the feck is VAR for, how can these decisions continue when they apologise after the match for a clear and obvious error….ffs, their decisions can decide the outcome of the title.

On the plus side Wycombe won after and maintain their position in an incredibly tight league

Relax fellas, I think I have worked this one out - the VAR hub is apparently in west London - so the people acting as video assistants etc are just knackered from taking hours to get through the traffic to be there. Plus they are probably hungry because when they nipped out for lunch they found the cafes so expensive that they couldn’t afford anything. Plus the air pollution and the water is rancid so they haven’t had a decent cuppa. Solution - locate the VAR hub in the Peak District or Yorkshire Dales.

I thought Liverpool were hard done by. The Diaz goal looked legitimate to me, even without the benefit of lines drawn. I could understand the first red card but thought it could have gone either way, and I thought the Jota first yellow was soft. His second was stupid. Now, I personally wanted Tottenham to win, and I make no bones about the fact that I always want Manchester United and Liverpool to drop points, but it doesn't change the fact that decisions went Spurs' way and helped them to the points.

I think we can all agree that the standard of refereeing and the application of VAR is poor at the moment, and I am not sure why it is so poor.

Incompetence.
VAR thought the goal had been awarded and then felt they could not interfere further when they realised it hadn’t.
Heads need to roll.
It needs to be run by people with an understanding of football

It seems to me that VAR is very good at poking its nose into situations where it should be allowing the ref to do his job and make a decision and then goes missing at crucial times when it's expertise is needed.
I stand to be corrected but I believe we are now into the 4th season since its implementation and if anything it's getting worse.
For me and I'm sure many others it has sucked the joy out of football - time for a rethink?

@oldius I agree. You didn't need lines to see Diaz's should have stood.

I was sat there watching with our Man U supporting son. He supports any team, playing against Liverpool and even he said that goal should have stood.

Something is very wrong with the officiating.

I’m no Liverpool apologist but what the feck is VAR for, how can these decisions continue when they apologise after the match for a clear and obvious error….ffs, their decisions can decide the outcome of the title.
I don't buy into that line of thinking at all.The best team always wins the league and if anyone thinks that the only difference between Liverpool & City is VAR then they must be wearing the rosiest of rose coloured spectacles - City atm are absolutely streets ahead of all the competition home and abroad.

It isn't just VAR. In City's game, the scorer of the second Wolves goal should have been dismissed earlier for a second yellow-card offence. For much of the second half, we had players rolling on the floor with the game constantly interrupted. The referee just didn't know what to do, didn't seem to add any time on, and punished City players when they complained. Wolves were defensively superb - no problem with the result - but the refereeing, once again, was really, really poor.

Where's GT? - he normally shows up when you win a game.

I'm here been here all the time - missing me were you? :rolleyes:

Hi there, GT is legless is in a state of shock, bit like me really.
:D

Poncy beer or too many cookies?;)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't eat cookies, and if you call Wadworth 6X poncy (whatever that means) who knows what to think.

A win is a win, yes VAR cocked up, first jota yellow was harsh. Good game

For much of the second half, we had players rolling on the floor with the game constantly interrupted.
I'm afraid this is now happening more and more in matches by teams who are protecting a narrow lead or clinging on to a point.It's cheating pure and simple.It used to be taking the ball to the corner flag which of course is perfectly legal but has now developed into feigning injury etc etc.
Difficult to see what can be done other than adding on loads of time at the end to compensate but that doesn't seem to be particularly popular with managers.

I'm afraid this is now happening more and more in matches by teams who are protecting a narrow lead or clinging on to a point.It's cheating pure and simple.It used to be taking the ball to the corner flag which of course is perfectly legal but has now developed into feigning injury etc etc.
Difficult to see what can be done other than adding on loads of time at the end to compensate but that doesn't seem to be particularly popular with managers.
Indeed. In injury time (6m) we had several interruptions. One player fell to the floor holding his calf. He was right by the touchline. City wanted to get on with play and Jeremy Doku attempted to roll the player into touch. The player refused to be rolled, remaining on the pitch. The referee gave Doku a yellow card and didn't add any time on. Much of the second half was plagued by similar but that was one which stuck out.

It's happening everywhere. in a recent Hallam match, an opposition player collapsed after being tackled in the centre of the pitch. The problem was that the spectators sit and stand close up to the pitch and everyone saw what he'd done, the Hallam players went mad and luckily the Ref wasn't having any of it. Once the player realised that he'd been caught out, he jumped up and continued as if nothing had happened.

While other matches were kind to City, yesterday I don't buy into the idea that somehow Spurs are going to be challenging for the title. They struggled for 90 min against Sheffield United and from what I heard about the Liverpool match they didn't turn their 2 man advantage into anything meaningful. Liverpool look like they have bought really well and look like a shoe in for the top 3.

Finally won for a change yesterday. We've been drawing after conceding late goals as this new team gels and gains fitness (not helped by key injuires). Too many missed nearly all the preseason. It was going to take one of these sorts of games, a blinding save from a sure goal, then our first goal was offside and they were denied a clear penaly. No wonder Ainsworth was sick. 3-1. Should've been nil but we conceded late on again! Missing Hamer terribly but the story goes that we missed out on two possible replacements over the summer before taking a 19 year old on loan from Brighton to develop at our expense!

Indeed. In injury time (6m) we had several interruptions. One player fell to the floor holding his calf. He was right by the touchline. City wanted to get on with play and Jeremy Doku attempted to roll the player into touch. The player refused to be rolled, remaining on the pitch. The referee gave Doku a yellow card and didn't add any time on. Much of the second half was plagued by similar but that was one which stuck out.
I watched the second half in Greece, Doku shouldn’t have interfered tbh and the ref played almost 8 minutes on the game I saw

I watched the second half in Greece, Doku shouldn’t have interfered tbh and the ref played almost 8 minutes on the game I saw

If you watched the whole of the second half then you will know that there should have been a significant level of extra time. Of course Doku shouldn't have interfered, but that's akin to saying that Jurgen shouldn't have held his arms out wide for most of the Liverpool match - Doku was frustrated, and it happens when it appears that the referee is letting an opponent do whatever they wish, or when decisions repeatedly go against you, as exemplified by Jurgen.

advertisement

Back