advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

A good win for City, who were especially good in the first half. Doku was a constant danger and the return of Rodri and Stones gave greater license to the creative players; Brighton were really on the rack.

In the second half, the game was really flat to begin with. City didn't push on and Brighton seemed more concerned about City's danger on the counter. Once again, there was a lot of inconsistent refereeing. And, once again, a couple of City players couldn't keep their cool, leading to Akanji sent off for dissent; I assume that is what it was for because the foul itself was absolutely innocuous. They have to learn, but they are also human, and were repeatedly penalised for fouls that were let go in the other direction. I love the way Brighton play, and this is not on them, but it is on Rob Jones, who was dreadful. I note that Liverpool, at Anfield, received 2 yellow cards in 40 fouls. City, today, 3 yellows in 7 fouls, and consistently pulled up for fouls then described by commentators as 'unfortunate', which, in commentator speak, means an incorrect decision. I am saying and feeling the same thing nearly every week and I am really beginning to wonder what the answer is because the standard seems to be worsening.

Anyway, the excellent Mitoma did Walker like a kipper, causing chaos and a goal for Brighton. This made for a nervy 20 minutes but we managed to see out a good win against a tough and stylish opponent.

City broke a record today, with 21 consecutive home victories across all competitions – more than any other English team in the Premier League era has managed.

Rest in peace to Bobby Charlton too, one of the truly great players.

Last edited:
Chelsea in charity mode gifting the gooners an undeserved point - never mind - massive improvement on a couple of months ago.

Sanchez has gifted the ball to the opposition 3 times now. It was only a matter of time before it cost us.
I just don't see him as an upgrade on Kepa - he's an accident waiting to happen and that accident happened today and undoubtedly cost us 2 points.
Arsenal never looked like getting back into the game up until that point.

I just don't see him as an upgrade on Kepa - he's an accident waiting to happen and that accident happened today and undoubtedly cost us 2 points.
Arsenal never looked like getting back into the game up until that point.
At least Havertz didn’t score

Good first win in Europe tonight for the Seagulls against Ajax. We looked comfortable, especially after the first goal.

Good first win in Europe tonight for the Seagulls against Ajax. We looked comfortable, especially after the first goal.

Missed the match, but caught videos of the violence at the train station, on social media. I know that Ajax fans have plenty to be upset about at the moment, but is Brighton twinned with Rotterdam, by any chance?.. absolutely bonkers.

After a few decent matches a really poor performance from Chelsea today.
Absolutely clueless against a side that puts everybody behind the ball and then waits their opportunity to pounce.
A lot of players sidelined with injuries today but that's no excuse - just nowhere near good enough.
Credit to Brentford - came with a gameplan and executed it to perfection.
Five points from six home matches including defeats to Brentford today, Villa & Forest says it all really.

Joke penalty decision at Wolves in favour of Newcastle.
Anthony Taylor plus VAR - what could possibly go wrong?
I thought it was a pen in real time...;)
If Neto doesn't go off we lose.
We looked knackered after 60mins.
Five full backs and two goalies on the bench. Howe made one sub. At least no new injuries and Bruno avoided his fifth yellow.
Trippier had a stinker until 70mins.
Play the kids against Man U in the week.

I thought it was a pen in real time...;)
If Neto doesn't go off we lose.
Five full backs and two goalies on the bench. Howe made one sub. At least no new injuries and Bruno avoided his fifth yellow.
Trippier had a stinker until 70mins.
Play the kids against Man U in the week.
I know you're suffering with injuries - as are we.
We had 2 keepers on the bench (could have done with the 2nd one on the pitch in the last minute;)) and 3 players from the under 21 squad.
I think we're playing you next month if we can find 22 fit players between us:D

Well done Brentford. Chairboys got a decent draw away from home against promotion chasing Oxford, still a way to go for a play off position.

As a part of our trip around the clubs that City might end up playing if we are found guilty of all the charges..... We went to see Doncaster play Grimsby. While we were disappointed that we couldn't get fish and chips from Paul's Crisp Cod on the way to ground, we did see a contrasting match.
The first half was very poor, so much that it puts off of queuing up for a pukka pie at half time. It got a lot better after the break, where somehow Grimsby failed to convert their attacking play into a goal and then ended up with Doncaster getting a penalty to win the match. The Grimsby manager was sacked after the match based on "data"
The funniest part of the match was seeing a Doncaster player backing into the Grimsby Goalkeeper while waiting for a corner to be taken and getting shoved away, only for the player to bend over and shove his backside into the goalkeeper. A novel way of trying to impede the goalie from coming for the ball....

advertisement

Back