advertisement

Alfred Brendel- The End of an Era.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
I was sorry to note that Alfred Brendel gave his last public performance in Vienna with the VPO and Sir Charles Mackerras. I have been lucky to hear him play a number of times over the past 20 years. He was in the audience next to me for a Bach concert at Greyfriars Kirk in the Edinburgh Festival in August.
My favourite live oncert was his Brahms No.2 with the Gewandhaus in 1990.

What a man......

... he is. I have heard him in 2005 at the Berlin Philharmonic, a gorgeous Schubert sonata encored by a Bach Praeludium. Pure magic.

Well sorry, I hold a different view.Brendel, no loss to the recording venues or the concert stage. One of the World's inflexible and drearist pianists in my book. Repertiore extremely limited. Always fixated on re-recording the same few composers he played. Performed in a manner of a mental strait jacket. One suspects he also did not have the full technical capabilities: the 'technique' needed to tackle and handle the big demanding dazzling works of some many other composers.

With respect, ter, absolute rubbish. I am sure he has his off days, and with age these probably got more frequent. Maybe you don't like him, but your saying he is dreary and lacks technical skills makes me discount anything you write.

Repertoire extremely limited.
Most extreme nonsense, ter. Sorry. Without googling I can think of many great solo recordings of Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Schumann, Liszt (Années de Pèlerinage, phew!!), and he did many sonata cycles several times, none of which being qualified as disappointing. Concertos anyone ? He did several full cycles of Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, all of them of a very high standard. He recorded often for Philips, but there are many other recordings available on RCA and DGG. Go and have a look.

The only pianist who IMO excelled in an even bigger repertoire than Brendel was Claudio Arrau. Not too shabby a pianist to be compared to I reckon.

It's mildly reassuring to discover that ter writes complete bollocks in the music room as well.

Brendel's last London recital.
3133070101_476cc73612.jpg

From Mozart to Liszt? Brendel had a huge range, and along with Arrau and Bundervoet is still probably my favorite pianist also.

Sorry to ter for a rather intemperate outburst.

Duncan,

What was the venue in your photo?

The Festival Hall. A typical Brendel programme of Haydn (Variations in F minor), Mozart (Sonata in F, K.533), Beethoven (Sonata in E flat, Op.27 No.1) and the great Schubert B flat Sonata. Nothing over-the-top, just deeply satisfying playing.

I have just received from Steinway Germany the free CD they give away to dealers at Christmas each year.
This time Alfred Brendel is featured playing Bach Italian Concerto
and Beethoven Sonata No. 29. BG flat major recorded in 1976.
Absolutely superb playing on concert Steinway.

Made me get out the same Bach piece played by Jacques Loussier trio. Equally good in a differant way.
R

With respect, ter, absolute rubbish. I am sure he has his off days, and with age these probably got more frequent. Maybe you don't like him, but your saying he is dreary and lacks technical skills makes me discount anything you write.
What you write, strengthens the impression I have of many pinkfish contributors that they are either in nostaglaic rock, punk, grunge, or..........'twee and bloodless refined forms of classical'. Must'nt scare the horses or the women..wer'e British! ( I can hear). Where is there evidence of Brendel performing anything that required 'flash', fire, fiendish dexterity, instant quick silver spontaniety or dazzling bravura passages? He reminds me of the Play -the Dresser where 'Sir' at his Shakespearean curtain calls announced with great flourish that he was again going to perform one of his hammy performnces in the next town, tomorow night. Once he was 'a Concert management 'roster' pianist playing halls in country towns.You apparently seem to forget he was once the 'hack' pianist doing boxes and boxes of nondescript Vox recordings at the start of the sixties. Thankfully one hopes now, in the rubbish bins out the back of some opportunity shop. Presto! Phillips came along later desperately looking, belatedly for a new headliner - there, Brendel was Was he up to an Argerich, a Arrau, a Anda, a Richter, a Horowitz, a Bryon Janis, a Rubenstein etc etc etc? Ha! Forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A pianola roll would have performed better. Set the metronome speed, press the pedals and ................ :eek: Another new pre autopsied Brendel Mozart, Schuman, Schubert or Beethoven piece rolled out

From Mozart to Liszt? Brendel had a huge range, and along with Arrau and Bundervoet is still probably my favorite pianist also.
All I see with Brendel is a huge void of available composers and repertiore in between your 'Mozart to Lizst'.

I'd rather say 'Bach to Liszt'. Oh pardon me, he has recorded the Arnold Schönberg concerto as well, and played it live a number of times.

The 'gap' you mean could well be the absence of Horowitz-typical showpieces in his repertoire, as well as some composers from Eastern Europe. But there were enough other pianists around who did these things better than he could have done, so what. Brendel likes to play sonatas and concertos, works which require a true sense of artistry, and in this respect he was far better - at least in the German/Austrian repertoire - than even a Horowitz. By the way I worship the latter, but you must admit that his concert repertoire was mainly composed of encores, whereas Brendel usually preferred to play 'actual' works.

There is no 'void' of available composers, it's called a sensible choice for the sake of musicianship and artistry in the truest sense of the word. You don't appear in a good light with your ill-informed posts ter.

So my perception of piano performances is slammed as 'absolute rubbish'.. Let's not forget the huge insane adulations the British public and critics had for that 'remarkable' but phantom pianist Joyce Hatto while it lasted! Just shows what a little misplaced praise does, once the Europeon 'classical donkey' bandwagon takes off. Where are some of those illustrious piano critics? Still operating, no less. Yet previously ( if one uses and checks the dates of their published recommendations by these 'Hatto fan critics'........elsewhere the alarm bells were ringing loud and clear, something was 'very smelly' and people were keeping a wide berth.

Leaving aside all musical considerations, how did a ' terminal ill person' physically produce 150 recordings that suddenly 'hit the light of day'? Many with full orchestra, yet somehow 'all kept in the 'secret vaults'. No one appeared to do their financial sums and see the 'pyramid - pirate scheme', the phantom Ms Hatto's husband was working. Ever considered the cost of even one full piano concerto recording with orchestra? Who was this orchestra? Where was it situated? Who was this conductor, whose name appeared all the time? The whole scene was 'blind' to the fact there surely had to be records of venues hired, recording engineers and CD mastering processors involved? No performance known 'recorded' by Ms Hatto since some obscure budget vinyl record, back around 1957. Apparently no one bothered to check. People with heads down, read the praise in those now discredited classical music magazines of Europe and brought the 'frauds'. I instantly recognised them as a joke. How many others here, 'with good taste' brought those Hatto 'pirates' revelling in her 'miraculous' achievements? Pays to be a little cynical at times.

I'd rather say 'Bach to Liszt'. Oh pardon me, he has recorded the Arnold Schönberg concerto as well, and played it live a number of times.

The 'gap' you mean could well be the absence of Horowitz-typical showpieces in his repertoire, as well as some composers from Eastern Europe. But there were enough other pianists around who did these things better than he could have done, so what. Brendel likes to play sonatas and concertos, works which require a true sense of artistry, and in this respect he was far better - at least in the German/Austrian repertoire - than even a Horowitz. By the way I worship the latter, but you must admit that his concert repertoire was mainly composed of encores, whereas Brendel usually preferred to play 'actual' works.

There is no 'void' of available composers, it's called a sensible choice for the sake of musicianship and artistry in the truest sense of the word. You don't appear in a good light with your ill-informed posts ter.
You appear to be conveniently narrowing the 'gaps' of what was important in the progression of piano composition, to satisfy your own stance. Gee, Brendel played a Schoenberg concerto. Does that make Brendel to be labelled by any chance, as 'eclectic'? As for Horowitz's output mainly being 'encores', I suggest you have a lot of listening to catch up on, regards Horowitz. I suggest you are the one really ill informed and lacking depth of argument. By the way I would like it explained what to you, is an 'actual musical work' and one that is 'not'?

You appear to be conveniently narrowing the 'gaps' of what was important in the progression of piano composition, to satisfy your own stance.
Not entirely untrue, ter. But if you're into a constructive discussion about music, you'd make the task of your fellow posters easier if you actually gave us more detail about what you mean by Brendel's 'repertoire gaps'. As yet I feel you are more on the trolling side. Your fellow posters are eager to read a closer description of what you miss in Brendels playing. I promise you we won't automatically tear your arguments apart from the onset :)

Not entirely untrue, ter. But if you're into a constructive discussion about music, you'd make the task of your fellow posters easier if you actually gave us more detail about what you mean by Brendel's 'repertoire gaps'. As yet I feel you are more on the trolling side. Your fellow posters are eager to read a closer description of what you miss in Brendels playing. I promise you we won't automatically tear your arguments apart from the onset :)

One noticed Brendel did not venture too far into German/ Austro Lizst territory, especially the more difficult repertiore. Can you imagine him trying the Grand Galop at a speed like like a Czriffa !!! Where's his Chopin, or anything much from the French or Russian schools. The Ravel, the Debussy, Prokofiev, Rachmaninioff, Medtner, Shostakovich for starters. They did provide an enomorous amount of music. Classics does not live by Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms and Mozart alone. Richter for instance played all of Brendel's composers and all those others abovementioned. A person who happened to be known to have enough music 'in his head' to do 20 complete concerts. And I dare anyone to heretically claim Brendel coming within a far off mile of Richter's talents?
The original title of this discussion I think, in Freudian terms aptly describes Brendel...the end of an Era..... Yes, I agree....the last of the halycon days of willy- nilly pianist recording......Did someone tell this 'last to leave the venue' pianist...to turn the lights off as well? What do I miss in his playing?

That unexpectancy, that 'surprise' from a thrill, those moments where one listens and anticipating a certain sense of approach....the pianist suddenly 'knocks you for six' out of nowhere. It does'nt have to be a big explosive moment, it can be a slight 'spin on a pin head' but which transforms the total shape of the whole effort.

No one could question or doubt Brendel's particular form of preparation.. Limited number of composers, studied and re studied. Performance careful, methodical, fussy but clean and relatively unobjectionable. BUT.... that is the big problem to me. Music is about danger, being brazen, risk, daring, instant spontaneity, a natural flexibility to adjust to the surge of the music, involvement with real connected emotion, a sense of a living breathing temperament feeling, challenging and interacting with chords, notes and various passages inside and during the real time duration of a work. In short, 'communication' with the actual listener! A pianist does what they have 'to perform' the work. A great pianist does what they feel 'they MUST do or feel compelled to do'.

I cannot get or feel an emotional fix on a Brendel performance. I sense a inner terrifying skittishness to just play the work according 'to the book' in the most self effacing 'non risky' way. No possible opportunity for areas of criticism or conjecture will be left open or added to the interpretation 'mix' equation. It is squeaky clean and sterile. All one can do is admire the 'sound bloom' of the produced notes masquerading as 'greatest levels of artistry'. The world is full of such 'polite' picture perfect performances, the record catalogues are full of examples, collectors shelves groan under the weight of too many 'rethink' editions put out by similiar savant-like performers. Just check out Michelangeli's very late efforts on rare Italian labels.....what's he doing? Playing the same boring identical mixture of composer material on this or that CD, recorded in different venues. Amen the perfect 'rut'.

Thanks for the effort ter.

One noticed Brendel did not venture too far into German/ Austro Lizst territory, especially the more difficult repertiore. Can you imagine him trying the Grand Galop at a speed like like a Czriffa !!!
Indeed, speed-wise he isn't Cziffra, but not many other people are. Now there's the question about the difficulty of a work - what is more difficult to play, an Etude d'exécution transcendante or the Sonata in B minor which he recorded as well ? I am a great fan of this sonata and most pianists I have heard bored me to death, Richter having delivered the only acceptable (well actually sublime) interpretation of it, Horowitz' first version being good too. It seems very difficult to underline the cohesion between the different sequences of the sonata, showing its Chaconne-like spiritual immensity. I haven't heard Brendel's account of the sonata so I can't say it's good, but at least he recorded it. I own his Années de Pélerinage and it is so good I never thought I needed any other version.

Where's his Chopin, or anything much from the French or Russian schools. The Ravel, the Debussy, Prokofiev, Rachmaninioff, Medtner, Shostakovich for starters.
Right, ter, and he might have done a great job in Debussy. But German and French piano music are something radically different in essence, the elusive nature and frivolité of French music being difficult to nail down for a German pianist who is much better trained at dealing with complex structures essential to German music - Gieseking figures pretty much as an exception here and he was of French descent. And after all Alfred Brendel may just not like French music.

As for the other composers you mentioned, see post #14. Brendel would have banged his head against a wall called Horowitz/Richter/Gilels/Sofronitzki/Kissin/ Argerich/Moisewitsch/Cherkassky and many others. Which is already a lot, I say to myself that Brendel's input wasn't needed really.

Richter for instance played all of Brendel's composers and all those others abovementioned
Richter played indeed a huge number of composers but he limited himself to a few works each, usually lesser known ones. He never recorded 'completed works' like the Beethoven/Mozart sonatas/concertos, or even sonata cycles of composers he felt very close to - unless someone tells me otherwise there isn't even a complete cycle of Prokofiev sonatas available. By the way, in a concert hall he was one of the most erratic players ever, very much unlike Brendel, and a lot of his interpretations were simply a disgrace - I heard him once, his utterly heavy-handed Chopin Polonaises caused a lot of people to flee during the break, a bad idea because the following Scriabin set was sublime. Richter was an immense artist in his own right (and yes, my favourite pianist besides Lipatti) but his achievement and artistic approach can't be compared to Brendel's in the slightest.

What do I miss in his playing ?
I know what you mean, Brendel has no 'signature' like Horowitz' bell sound, Richters intensity, Rubinsteins joyfulness, Argerichs incandescence or Kempffs aristocracy. Brendel is a mix of it all, he is very reliable in pretty everything he chooses to play and he never tries to show off anything apart from what he thinks the composer intended.

That unexpectancy, that 'surprise' from a thrill
That's Richters or Kempffs domain IMO. A fair point ter, but it doesn't mean that a Brendel recital can't be moment of immense beauty as a whole.

No one could question or doubt Brendel's particular form of preparation.. Limited number of composers, studied and re studied. Performance careful, methodical, fussy but clean and relatively unobjectionable. BUT.... that is the big problem to me. Music is about danger, being brazen, risk, daring, instant spontaneity, a natural flexibility to adjust to the surge of the music, involvement with real connected emotion, a sense of a living breathing temperament feeling, challenging and interacting with chords, notes and various passages inside and during the real time duration of a work. In short, 'communication' with the actual listener! A pianist does what they have 'to perform' the work. A great pianist does what they feel 'they MUST do or feel compelled to do'.
Fair enough.

I cannot get or feel an emotional fix on a Brendel performance. I sense a inner terrifying skittishness to just play the work according 'to the book' in the most self effacing 'non risky' way. No possible opportunity for areas of criticism or conjecture will be left open or added to the interpretation 'mix' equation. It is squeaky clean and sterile.
Finally, it looks like you have indeed listened to some Brendel before writing your comments, that's what I wanted to know because it didn't look that way in your first posts. I wouldn't have written the word 'sterile' though. So each to his own.

advertisement

Back