advertisement

Air tag alternatives ??

iansr

pfm Member
Having just found one of our sets of car keys after they had been missing for a week I have decided we need to attach a location device to them. Air Tags are the obvious choice but they are damn expensive. Can anybody recommend a cheaper alternative that has similar functionality?

no, well not thats even in the territory of being as good.

Tile is probably the next best thing, but apple kinda TomTom'ed that one.

Correct the behaviour, not the equipment. Set up a routine where the keys go into a box every time you get in the house. Need a key? It's in the box. Mine live, you guessed it, in a box in a drawer near the front door.

Ah yes, but that doesn't explain why I managed to lose mine in the back garden.

Parked car outside front. Locked up, keys in pocket. Went into house no keys! Went on an extensive search not found - semi concluded someone passing by might have picked them up.

Had to get a new fob....

2 years later, my neighbour calls over the hedge, have you lost a car key? found under back garden hedge.....

Yes Steve, we have now initiated a keys-always-go-in-the-bowl policy šŸ˜‰. (Metal box will be the next upgrade). However I have also dropped keys in the garden before now.

The Atuvos trackers look good from my research and they also use the Apple Find My app. Anybody tried them?

The 'problem' with trying to find an alternative to an 'expensive' airtag is the way that the infrastructure works. Airtags get picked up and noticed by ANY passing Iphone. That is how it works - so any alternative is just not going to have the same level of coverage as the zillions of iphones out in the wild.

Samsung offer one also. Once outside of Bluetooth range then it's dependent on other Samsung phones in the same way the Apple ones are. They are Ā£20 or so. Google are meant to be joining the fray shortly.

There is nothing from other manufacturers that even comes close to FindMy, its just the fact of it. CEX will sell you one for 20 quid.

Having just found one of our sets of car keys after they had been missing for a week I have decided we need to attach a location device to them. Air Tags are the obvious choice but they are damn expensive. Can anybody recommend a cheaper alternative that has similar functionality
As others have mentioned, Airtags are hard to come close, as there are so many iPhones being carried around. Made me find my wallet once. And I lose my keys constantly, at home and at work (yes I should follow @stevec67 's advice, this was also seen in that Anthony Hopkins movie about Alzheimer) and it has helped countless times.

Airtags can sometimes be found on offer, in packs of five and an acceptable discount (by Apple standards anyway). You will need at least three - on your keys, in your wallet and in your suitcase when travelling. They do use batteries, mind.

Last edited:
After a few frantic key losing sessions I bought a few mini clips and had someone make a 5" leather lanyard with a split ring on the other end. Mini clip to belt loop. Little 'python' clips hold various keys. Whole thing into a bowl. Never lost a key since and this is going 10+ years now.

After a few frantic key losing sessions I bought a few mini clips and had someone make a 5" leather lanyard with a split ring on the other end. Mini clip to belt loop. Little 'python' clips hold various keys. Whole thing into a bowl. Never lost a key since and this is going 10+ years now.
Cool. Which model Harley did you buy? How do you got in with the other Hell's Angels?

The 'problem' with trying to find an alternative to an 'expensive' airtag is the way that the infrastructure works. Airtags get picked up and noticed by ANY passing Iphone. That is how it works - so any alternative is just not going to have the same level of coverage as the zillions of iphones out in the wild.
As I understand it the Atuvos ones do exactly the same thing as they have a license from Apple.
Iā€™ve also see reports that the Air Tags donā€™t have a very good Blutooth range compared to others.

advertisement

Back